Accurate 43-206H - "CowBoy Keith" - Homage for the .44-40!

• Last Post 18 December 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
Ed Harris posted this 24 July 2019

Nose length is correct to fit Colt Frontier Six Shooter cylinder and to feed in Winchester 1873.

Substantial crimp groove adequate for smokeless loads to prevent interial dislodgement in revolvers, or "telescoping" from compression of tubular magazine spring in lever-actions.

Base-to-crimp length fits the .44-40 bottleneck with only the base bevel below shoulder.

Keith type large meplat, with radiussed nose for smooth feeding and full-diameter front band for improved game performance.

Adequate lubricant capacity for BP or substitutes.

Also useable in .44 Russian, .44 Special, .44 Magnum for those preferring a lighter bullet.

Kudos to Tom!

Accurate 43-206H

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Eutectic posted this 18 December 2019

Ed Harris sent me some 43-206H to test. The backstop alloy plus tin is about BHN 10 and gives a 210 grain bullet when sized and lubed.

This is a nice little semi-wadcutter. It has three almost equal width driving bands and the front band is 0.070 wide to help line up in the chamber. The nose is short to keep the weight low and the meplat is 0.290, 67% of the diameter. The nose is long enough to make loading in the cylinder easy, and it has a small bevel base for easy casting. All around a nice looking bullet with all the aspects which make for good shooting and easy casting.

Hodgdon lists a 220 grain flat point with a maximum load of 5.4 grains Tightgroup powder for 875 fps at 13,300 psi pressure. I used Starline 44 Special brass with Winchester primers and worked up to 5.4 grains Tightgroup with 43-206H which gave 830 fps.

The group shown was the best of several, but the average was just a little larger. This light bullet is pleasant to shoot and will be good on small game and tin cans. I may have to buy this mold. 

Merry Christmas to all,

Steve Hurst 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 01 August 2019

Forgot to mention I don't shoot BP in my 44-40s so no need for the larger lube groove.  However, if I ever do shoot BP this bullet of Saavyjack's looks pretty darn good.....

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 31 July 2019

The best I have been able to do for both rifle and revolver being the same bullet same load is Reloder 7. I have not tried my new 43-214A yet in both rifle and revolver but I have tried other loads and get 4" @ 100 yards with rifle and 4" @ 25 yards with revolver......I just can't remember which load.....gotta look at my notes!!!

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 31 July 2019

I prefer a 225gr RNFP for Rifle, I bought 5,000 225gr Bullets cast from a Magma Mold, sized .428Dia for Cowboy Shooting just before I had to stop. I measured the bore of both My Uberti .44-40's 1873 Clones, 3 times each came out .427-.4275 Dia. They both will shoot 2" at 25yrds and 2 1/2 - 3" at 50yrds from the bench. 

I've tried 8-10 different bullets, some like the #429421 and Lee #44-240-RN had to be single loaded. Most were sized .429Dia, the #429421 gave beautiful clean holes better then even the Lee #44-214-SWC. 

I bought 50,000 Hardcast 210gr FN (Magma) before they went belly up. They changed the design at some point. I discovered this and had to go through every Blasted box to separate them. Later l found out it made no difference in My Colts for Cowboy Shooting. 

But after 30+yrs of .44-40 Uberti's & Colt 44-40/44Spl's, I would Really Appreciate a Mold to Cast One Bullet for Everything. 

So maybe Someone who has this mold would Please sell me a hundred, so I could see for myself how well they feed in Uberti 1866 & 1873's.  

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 30 July 2019

I have two 44-40s (Ruger OM Vaquero and a Cimeron Chiappa M92) and prefer flat based bullets also.  While I shoot a few 200 gr bullets (commercial and Lee 429-200-FN) I prefer 240 gr bullets (Lee TL430-240-SWC and Lyman 429360) because with the loads I use (850 fps) they shoot to the sights on the Vaquero where as the 200 gr bullets don't.  The 240s also hold up much better at longer ranges. 

LMG 

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
BigMan54 posted this 30 July 2019

I too prefer flat based bullets. I find them easier to seat straight . 

And the bases are easier to inspect.   

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 July 2019

Actually, I prefer flat based bullets, but not for any magical reason. It is easier for me to see perfect bases with a flat base, than a rounded base with a bevel based bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • Bill2728
RicinYakima posted this 26 July 2019

"As applied to rifle bullets I guess all the benchresters who set all the records these days with boattail bullets never read Naramore."

It has always amazed me that shooters who have grown up with the internet, are so unread. If they get 500 postings they believe it is true. Naramore and Mann are the most overlooked shooting authorities of the 20th century.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 26 July 2019

Another arguement you sometimes hear is that many years ago bullseye target shooters felt that the bevel resulted in a less uniform bore exit than a flat base. When Col. E.H. Harrison did his testing in developing accurate .38 wadcutter ammunition, there was a very slight difference favoring the H&G#50 vs. the H&G#55BB, but not significant.

As applied to rifle bullets I guess all the benchresters who set all the records these days with boattail bullets never read Naramore.

Also, as I said before, the minimal 0.02 bevel is entirely gone by the time the bullets leaves the barrel.

Lots of mental masturbation on this topic.  Cast good bullets.  Load them carefully without deforming them.

FIT is paramount.  Not bevel or not.  Certainly our typical Cowboy rifles and revolvers are not accurate enough to discern the difference.  Shoot whatever makes you feel good.  If the bevel base bothers you, Tom is quite happy to cut you a mold without it.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 26 July 2019

Over the years,I have noticed that there is a lot of opposition to bevel base bullets,mostly I think because of some worry’s about lube on the bullet base contaminating the powder load.When I was loading bevel base Hensley and Gibbs 50 BB’s,I had a piece of cloth on my thigh and wiped each bullet before loading,no trouble at all.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 July 2019

That can be done, just specify when you order.  Steve Hurst and I both prefer the very slight 0.02 bevel base which loads easier and is less prone to damage bases when dropping bullets from a hot mold.  The very minimal bevel is entirely gone when the bullet leaves the barrel, but is enough to resist "finning" when a larger throat-diameter bullet enters a smaller groove diameter barrel.

Different strokes for different folks.  All of my designs have the slight bevel.  Some people don't care for it.  That's OK if they prefer.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
BigMan54 posted this 24 July 2019

I want one, but with a flat base.

Attached Files

Close