Attention AR-15 Shooters - A Match to Shoot In

• Topic Is Sticky
  • Last Post 01 July 2017
David Reiss posted this 19 March 2017

The board has concluded our discussions and decided that Postal Match #16 is the match to enter to test the interest in using AR platform rifles. The due date is Oct.15th, so you have plenty of time to enter and get your entries turned in. 

Mike Kastning, Director of Postal Matches (as well as other duties) has offered to score the targets and divide the entries into appropriate classes, depending on the number of entries & variants, ie. scoped vs iron, calibers, etc. From these results we will later decide the rules for future AR platform rifle only matches. 

This use of AR platform rifles will be promoted in future issues of the FS and thru an email campaign. 

So here is your chance, many of you have indicated interest in a match, now it's time to, as they say, “put up or shut up". 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SierraHunter posted this 22 March 2017

Perfect. I just finished building my AR last weekend. I am heading back to Montana for another load of stuff, and while I'm up there I'm gonna get some cast ammo put together and start working up some loads when I get back to Idaho and get time to shoot.

Attached Files

calinb posted this 30 June 2017

The board has concluded our discussions and decided that Postal Match #16 is the match to enter to test the interest in using AR platform rifles. The due date is Oct.15th, so you have plenty of time to enter and get your entries turned in. 

<snip>

This sounds like fun, David! I've been lurking around in this forum for years but would like to give this postal match thing a try with my AR. I'm trying to find information about the rules and procedures and I might finally have to join the CBA.

When I lived in the city, I often competed in a local monthly CMP J.C Garand fun match, but now that I live in the boondocks, there are no similar local opportunities. I'm not really an "AR guy" and hardly ever shoot my ARs, but I just cast my first RCBS 225415 bullets and actually got cast bullet loads to cycle my Colt Match Target HBAR AR15-A2 reliably. It took some buffer mods trial and error to do it, without resorting to an adjustable gas block or gas tube. I was shooting the maximum Lyman IMR-4227 load, but now I think it might cycle with lighter loads and different powders. The HBAR's 1:7 twist certainly isn't the best for these bullets, but I want to see what I can accomplish, if I keep the velocities down. Even at 2200 fps, my initial loads weren't terrible (typically 5 shots around 2" at 100 yards from a bench with a scope temporarily mounted to the carry handle).

-Cal

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 01 July 2017

Already signed up for this one and working on loads as we speak.  I am finding that the more I shoot these matches, the better I become at load development.  I am having frustrating moments sprinkled with rewarding ones, but I am always learning something.

Attached Files

Close