barrel length

• Last Post 03 October 2019
2frogs posted this 30 September 2019

After all the replies I received about which bullet to use,I have deceided on the 255 gr

SWC Keith style...My new question is about MV ..Lets just say that the book is showing

a MV or 800 fps for a 4 inch barrel..About what would this be in my 6.5 inch barrel..

Guess I am going to have to dig out my old chrony..And I want to thank you guys for answering a few of my other questions.

As far as the powder measure goes I got the Lee and I think it is a great little item..Every charge is within plus or minus  a tenth of a grain which I think is going to be ok for my use..Thanks again...John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 30 September 2019

Cylinder gap also makes a difference.  One measurement on your Chrony is worth more than pages of speculation on here.

It is not unknown for a "fast" 4" gun to be faster than a "slow" 6".

As a hand-waving generalization, the slower the powder, the more benefit a longer barrel will provide. At least that stands to reason. I don't have any data to prove that, though.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • Bud Hyett
2frogs posted this 30 September 2019

Thanks At the present I am using Unique Powder...

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 01 October 2019

2frogs,

You could always use the old Skeeter Skelton load of 7.5 Unique and a roughly 250 gr. bullet.  Unless your pistol is a 44 Mag. you might want to work carefully work up to that load.  It might be a little hot for some 44's.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 03 October 2019

Personally I prefer revolvers with four inch barrels.  They just carry easier, especially when riding in a vehicle.  Although I have not personally chronographed a lot of loads in different guns I have never noticed any great loss due to barrel length.  The four inch barrels seem to shoot better for me.  Maybe it is just my getting older and keeping the weight closer to my hand seems to hold steadier with less wrist strain.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Bud Hyett posted this 03 October 2019

Dependent on usage, the revolver barrels are short for carry or long for range shooting. Centerfire; S&W 696, S&W 625 and Model 19 are 3 inch and 4 inch for carry, the rest are 7 1/2 inch or longer for range usage. The 625 is often carried in the field with shot cartridges for rattlesnakes, very utilitarian.

The longer-barreled revolvers are shot on the range or in the field for target shooting. Often at a chunk of firewood ,set at 100 yards for the sheer fun of shooting.

Windhill had a big steel plate at 200 yards that was a challenge.

The Elmer Keith Memorial Match South of Spokane each summer is shot at 140, 200, 265, and 600 yards with iron sights, the longer barrels are an advantage. . 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close