Bringing back a bad bore K-31

• Last Post 13 June 2020
Wheel Weights posted this 15 April 2020

Among my Swiss rifles I had this minty K-31 that shot 1.5 moa with 7.5x55 ammo. Then I bought a bore scope and discovered that the bore that looked fine when viewed from either end actually was quite pitted. As I wished to shoot cast ---- what to do ?

Called JES, who made my 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 Ruger 1Bs, and he agreed to a rebore and rethroat to 35. Hence came the 9x55, (really .357x55).

I reamed out some 358 Winchester dies to clear the 9x55 body while leaving the neck sizing/seating portions intact.

Has worked out well with cast and jacketed. Case capacity it just shy of the 35 Whelen and K31s have been converted (in Europe) to modern high intensity cartridges with no issues.

Here's the cartridge and rifle.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Shopdog posted this 15 April 2020

Nice looking rig WW,thanks for sharing.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 15 April 2020

Pitted bores can shoot cast bullets very well if the bullet fits.  I would try first.  I had a Mod 92 .32-20 that had a bore like a dry river bed and it shot cast just fine.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 15 April 2020

A bit late for that !

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 16 April 2020

That ought to be a dandy hunting cartridge and rifle!

Glenn

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 03 June 2020

Latest update on the 35x55.

The 358 Winchester dies were "sizing" the case, so I bought a 350 Remington magnum set. They work perfectly, touching nothing but the neck.

In this photo you can see the cartridge on the right loaded with the 358 dies has been "sized", the 2 on the left from the 350 set are perfect.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 03 June 2020

WW,

That looks like it would be a terrific cartridge similar in scope to the .358 Win.  What is the twist?

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 03 June 2020

In a modern gun, hotter than a 358. In a K-31 certainly equal to.

1 in 14 35 Whelen standard.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 04 June 2020

Jeff is right, many pitted bores will shot cast bullet well. I have a Turkish Mauser 8mm that has a pretty rough bore and I have only shot cast bullets in it. It will shoot about 2.5" at 100 yards with the open sights, or at least it would when my eyesight was better. 

There was some talk about Dyna Bore Coat a little while back. In my experience it will really help a pitted bore after a treatment with JB. I would have not given up so quick. 

But with that said, that a neat little conversion. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 04 June 2020

I did not "give up". As the Col. said "only accurate rifles are interesting". There is no pleasure in shooting a rifle with a pitted bore, that has no collector value, with cast bullets. It will shoot poorly and create a huge cleaning job.

A K-31 is not a Winchester 1 of 1000.

JES is the way to save good rifles with bad bores. Be it a 35-30, 35 Krag, 35X55, 35x57, 35 Whelen 35-303 it's a great solution  Messing about with cast bullets w/o a premier bore is a trip down a rabbit hole.

I'm not seeing any cast bullet bench rest or BPCR shooters using rifles with pitted bores.

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 12 June 2020

Finally got out to the range w/all three loads. All w/38 gr Varget, 200 TSX, 225 Accubond and 250 Speer SP.

The TXS 3 in 1.8" Accubond 3 in 1.2", Speer 5 in 1.2" (4 in 3/4").

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 12 June 2020

As the Col. said "only accurate rifles are interesting". There is no pleasure in shooting a rifle with a pitted bore, that has no collector value, with cast bullets. Somebody that knows how to load for an old rifle should introduce you to the rifle type you've talked about. They are a blast and shoot just as well as what you're reporting. It will shoot poorly and create a huge cleaning job. Not when you know how to load for them. There are a lot of poor bore condition rifles (muzzle wear, shallow washed rifling etc.) out there that will shoot 1.5 MOA and under when you feed them properly. You just need to learn how..........................

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 12 June 2020

Probably been shooting cast far longer than you.

Nobody needs to "help me out" least of all some web expert.

You own a paradox bore rifle ?

You every killed an Elk with a Baker flinter ?

Ever killed an Antelope with a 41 Swiss ?

I thought not.

Don't try to bully me and play expert ---- you're way over your head.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 June 2020

Relax Wheel Weights, nobody is trying to bully you.      We don'[t allow that around here.  But, there is always room for other opinions, even those that are opposite of you're (and mine) own.  Taking an absolute stance on a question with this bunch is a good way to be proven wrong.  There is just too much experience here.

Personally I like your conversion (?).  I think it is a neat way to get around a bore problem.  All these guys are saying is: "here is another way to look at it, and even solve the problem."  Not: "You shouldn't have done that, you ruined a great rifle yadda, yadda, yadda."  No body has said anything like that. 

By the way, that is a really nice bull Elk you've got in that picture.

Personally, I can't wait to hear about what that rifle does with cast bullets.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 13 June 2020

About the only "absolute" I've found to be true concerning CB's is;

Bullet must exit the bore.

I too like WW's rig. Like putting new tires on an old vehicle. Sure does improve the ride.

Attached Files

Close