Bullet sizer for AR 308 Winchester

• Last Post 05 September 2019
The_Shadow posted this 01 September 2019

I recently picked up a new NOE mold 311-199-SP-K5 3 cavity.  I've got some good one cast and about to do the sizing and gas checking.

I'm actually holding off as I may get a new sizer.  My older sizer for the RCBS sizer lubricator is 0.308".  I'm thinking I may go with a new sizer for the STAR sizer either 0.310" or 0.311".

Looking for suggestions...What are some of your thoughts on sizing these bullet for an AR 308 Win and other 30 cal rifles sized at 0.311".

I did make a DUMMY round with the unsized bullet (0.311") and it chambered fully and ejected without any difficulty.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 01 September 2019

.308" will more than likely too small. .310" is probably your best best, .309 may cause some leading. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
The_Shadow posted this 02 September 2019

Thanks David, that's why I am leaning toward the larger diameter 0.311" sizer.  I'm hoping some who have used this diameter would also chime in with their own experiences to learn of their results...

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 02 September 2019

to say what works in one rifle does not mean it will work in your rifle the best way is to make a chamber casting and then fit your bullet to the throat as tight as you can and still maintain reliable feeding ,with a AR that is something of a challenge and get any accuracy but just guessing I would start at .310 or .311 and load them long enough to engrave with the riflings

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 02 September 2019

to say what works in one rifle does not mean it will work in your rifle the best way is to make a chamber casting and then fit your bullet to the throat as tight as you can and still maintain reliable feeding ,with a AR that is something of a challenge and get any accuracy but just guessing I would start at .310 or .311 and load them long enough to engrave with the riflings

You will find this works fine in a bolt gun, but will be dangerous if you try it with most semi-autos. The cartridge must chamber AND extract without de-bulleting all the time. Accuracy is another concern and there are a few bullets set up to use in semi-autos that will function, extract and give excellent accuracy whether the firearm is squeaky clean or very dirty.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
The_Shadow posted this 02 September 2019

Thank you all for the help.  Ok here is where I'm at...I was digging around and actually have a LEE push through 0.311" sizer kit I got in a trade.   So I installed the Hornady crimp on gas checks on a few without any lube.  They say that's the best way so no lube gets under the checks.

Then I applied some White Label  Carnauba Red lube in the two lube grooves the passed them back through the sizer to smooth the lube evenly.

I have the RCBS expander for lead bullets that I used to prepare the case necks, also a slight chamfer of the case mouth to also aid in proper seating so the bullet doesn't shave as it is pressed into the case necks.  This worked very well as I made the DUMMY cartridge for test fitting the chamber and cycling.

Now to decide on a starting load to run a tester round to see how things go...I will see how it goes!

Attached Files

The_Shadow posted this 03 September 2019

Well this is where I am, I have loaded some testers with this bullet using CFE223 powder on the lower end of the spectrum with the COL being 2.7500", Federal Magnum LR primers.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 03 September 2019

Good luck Mr. Cranston those are right pretty bullets.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
Bud Hyett posted this 04 September 2019

I recently picked up a new NOE mold 311-199-SP-K5 3 cavity.  I've got some good one cast and about to do the sizing and gas checking.

I'm actually holding off as I may get a new sizer.  My older sizer for the RCBS sizer lubricator is 0.308".  I'm thinking I may go with a new sizer for the STAR sizer either 0.310" or 0.311" 

Looking for suggestions...What are some of your thoughts on sizing these bullet for an AR 308 Win and other 30 cal rifles sized at 0.311".

I did make a DUMMY round with the unsized bullet (0.311") and it chambered fully and ejected without any difficulty.

I have two push-through dies for my Star. These are .310 for Production and .3115 for Military or worn Production barrels. Push-through dies helped eliminate one more flyer .

The first thing you learn is the concentricity of your bullets as they will leak on the lubricating sub-stroke if not round. Lube will run down the nose and must be wiped off or it fouls the seating die as it accumulates. I plan on evening these cavities this winter. 

Get the lubricating holes in the die at the base of the bullet and close together. I did not and can only lubricate one band and the gas check space, the other hole is too far down and must be plugged

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
The_Shadow posted this 04 September 2019

At the moment I have a LEE 0.311" push through sizer some one gave me in trade, actually forgot I had it.  After I applied the gas checks and ran the bullets into that sizer as to crimp them in place.  For now I am actually applying the Carnauba Red by hand to the bullets then run them back into that die to smoot out the lube.  This is because I haven't had the chance to get the sizer for the Star.  Its a pain but I'm working my way through what I have for now!  I'll have to test the loaded rounds I put together to see how things work and how accurate they are...

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 04 September 2019

I do my at .310 and no problems 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 September 2019

just a note on something that finally sunk in about 50 years into my 60 years of reloading ... it seems better to load 3 of a new great idea ... and see if they work at all ... than to load, try, fail, and tearfully tear down a couple dozen miscreants ....  if you only screw up 3, you don't have to admit defeat ... ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • The_Shadow
Close