Bullet storage

• Last Post 05 July 2019
JeffinNZ posted this 02 July 2019

To all the folks that shoot .22WMR and .17HMR at my club and leave behind their packaging; Thank you.

50 top and tailed .303 bullets per box.  .32-20 bullets (115gr) I can double stack and fit 100 in.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • res45
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gnoahhh posted this 02 July 2019

We casters are a frugal bunch of innovative recyclers, aren't we?! Everything from lead to bullet boxes. (I draw the line at re-using gas checks and spent lube though.)

My "thing" is to re-purpose cylindrical cardboard oatmeal containers. I cut them off at a height that will contain however many layers of a particular bullet desired, round dividers cut from cereal boxes separate layers, and I re-use the plastic lid too. (I cut the cylinders on a table saw for a uniform straight cut, but a sharp knife would do the trick too.) They stack atop each other neatly on a shelf also.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 02 July 2019

My usual "go to" bullet storage containers are small glass jars, washed out in the dishwasher.  For .22 bullets, I like to use old-fashioned baby food jars when I can get them.  Smaller peanut butter jars work well for bigger bullets.  Usually I lube the bullets soon after casting, and store just random position in the jar.  My main concern is to keep dust away from the lube.

The use of the plastic rimfire boxes is a good idea, though.  I might give that a try.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 02 July 2019

I have used flat pipe tobacco cans, but since I got a can opener that undid the top from the side (which leaves a top that can be put back on) I have been using tuna, and chicken cans.  Sometimes I have to lightly gllue the top back on with super glue, but they make pretty good bullet holders.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 03 July 2019

Brodie, 

I do sorta the same thing, but I got 30 cat food can lids at the Dollar store for 10cents a piece. And I use cat food cans (6oz) and tuna cans (5oz) as needed by rifle bullet height/length.

I use tobacco cans to store lubed T/C Maxi-Balls (.50&.54cal) in the back of the garage fridge.(for some obscure reason My Wife objects to my storing Bullets in the back of the crisper in the Kitchen Fridge)  

I store my Cast RB's in old Plastic PMC Bullet boxes, from that one year in the late 1980's when they sold Bullets & Cases for reloading. 

I store handgun bullets in big JIF peanut butter jars. Anymore anything bigger and I no longer have the hand strength to grip and pick up anything bigger with one hand. Arthritis and old age really sucks. 

And those old 500rd boxes from buying Commercial Cast Bullets when My Kids and I were still Cowboy Shooting. Never throw anything away, you might need it again. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Bud Hyett posted this 03 July 2019

I like this, handy for a shorter casting session. Casting sessions are rigorous and not too long. As I get older, I no longer want marathon eight-hour casting sessions. It might even work well for .321 bullets for breech-seating.  

Currently, gray stack-able boxes hold 225 .30 caliber boxes per layer, 450 in two layers. Most .30 caliber bullets just fit in two layers. Fifteen pounds of alloy give 525 bullets (+/-) with the remaining bullets going into empty Hornady gascheck boxes.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
JeffinNZ posted this 03 July 2019

Another benefit is at a glance I can see 'stock on hand'.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
GWarden posted this 03 July 2019

Don't remember if I posted something on this earlier, make these boxes out of old RCBS die boxes.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 03 July 2019

I use the boxes from 22WMR and 17 HMR like Jeff does, and a;so make boxes from old USPS flat rate boxes.  Easy to do and make lids as well, extra cardboard for spacers.  Size for custom fit for 30, 45 and 243, with 100 per layer and deep enough for as many layers as I want,  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
David Reiss posted this 04 July 2019

I use styrofoam trays from ammo boxes for rifle bullets. For handgun bullets I use coffee cans and small plastic boxes for smaller lots of HG bullets. 

The styrofoam trays are left by the hundreds at my gun club. With the bullets in them they are protected from knocking around, don't take up much space and stack nicely. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 July 2019

Lubed, sized.  High density of storage, they stay put.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
res45 posted this 05 July 2019

Always good to see how others do things.  I keep all my bullets in plastic containers many that I recycle or just buy outright when they are on sale or closeout.  The majority of my bullets are powder coated sized and ready to load the others gets sized, lubed and gas checked on an as needed basis.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close