easily forming 25/20WCF brass from 32/20 brass

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 27 March 2019
GWarden posted this 26 March 2019

I have seen different methods of forming 25/20WCF brass from 32/20, but many seem to take several steps. This method has worked great with very little loss of brass in the process. Start first with running the 32/20 brass through a Lyman "M" die to make sure the necks are perfectly round. Take a 25/20WCF seater die and remove the seater stem. Full length size the 32/20 case in this die( use Imperial sizing wax). Go to the 25/20 WCF

full length size die and remove the expander plug. Slowly work the case into the die. Next use a Lyman "M" die for 25cal. That is all that is involved, works great for me, and very little cases damaged in process. I have only used Starline brass in the forming process.

Bob

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 26 March 2019

Great process, and thinner and softer brass work even easier.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 26 March 2019

Two additional thoughts:

• Deburr the neck before forming, both inside and outside.
  • I have one lot of Starline .32-20 brass that required annealing. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 26 March 2019

Has anyone opened 218 bee?

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 26 March 2019

I have not tried necking up 218 Bee, but am intending to.  Ric said that should be easier, IIRC.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 27 March 2019

Necking up .218 Bee is easier; be sure to lubricate the expander button for each cartridge. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
rmrix posted this 27 March 2019

I have seen different methods of forming 25/20WCF brass from 32/20, but many seem to take several steps. This method has worked great with very little loss of brass in the process. Start first with running the 32/20 brass through a Lyman "M" die to make sure the necks are perfectly round. Take a 25/20WCF seater die and remove the seater stem. Full length size the 32/20 case in this die( use Imperial sizing wax). Go to the 25/20 WCF

full length size die and remove the expander plug. Slowly work the case into the die. Next use a Lyman "M" die for 25cal. That is all that is involved, works great for me, and very little cases damaged in process. I have only used Starline brass in the forming process.

Bob

That is exactly the way that has worked best for me too.  However, for my lot of 500 Starline brass, I can size and form easier and don't loose all the cases to cracks after three firings, IF I anneal first.

Maybe just the difference in the different lots of Starline 32-20 brass.  Not sure, these 500 cases are the only ones I have tried.

fwiw - I use the RCBS Cowboy die set.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 27 March 2019

I agree on the annnealing, makes brass last much longer. Necking up .218 Bee is no problem. Cost of Bee brass  substantial if having to purchase it new. Buying the Starline brass was more economical for me as I  shoot both .218 Bee and 25/20WCF.

bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Close