Fireformin 30/40 AI from 30/40

• Last Post 17 May 2017
Rich/WIS posted this 13 May 2017

Have cast and loaded for 40+ years but never had to fire form brass.  Bought a Ruger #3 in 30/40 AI and not sure what use as a load in 30/40 brass to properly form the new cases.  Thinking that a medium to heavy Krag load should do it, but wonder if anyone else here is forming the AI and what theory found that works.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SierraHunter posted this 13 May 2017

You can fire full power but it is not needed. A cast bullet at about 1300 FPS should blow them out just fine. I usually trim after words.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 May 2017

I'm a thrifty guy, so I lightly lube the cases, add starting load of Unique (in this case about 12 grains) topped with a heavy cast bullet. Since it has a rim, just neck size and reload with full loads next time.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SierraHunter
David Reiss posted this 13 May 2017

I fireform several wildcats and usually use the least expensive way to go. Unless I need the cases right away for accuracy work, I will use moderate loads with a light bullet for plinking or small game loads. You will be surprised at the accuracy you can get from fireforming loads, while not 1/2 moa, they can most times stay under 2 1/2" depending on the caliber. So I just can't blow lead down the range just for the sake of fireforming unless absolutely necessary. 

Fireforming some cartridges will not form sharp shoulders the first time. It may take the first full load to do so, but again affects accuracy, little if any at all.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 14 May 2017

New cases only. 5grs bullseye, fill case with C of W , plug with 1/4 inch of paraffin wax. this should blow out the shoulder, but might stretch the case web a bit. And it's been almost 50yrs since I did it this way. But it was great thing to do out the back door of the garage when you're a teenager. Too noisy now.

Or this way; safer at the range & you get some shooting in at the same time.

Neck-up to .32 cal then neck-size half way down. Use 18grs 5744 or IMR4198 over a 160-175grs cast bullet. This will fireform the case completely WITHOUT stretching the case & give decent accuracy at 50yds.

But this is only a suggestion. I'd do the 2nd. these loads come from the LYMAN Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 14 May 2017

Thanks guys, happy I won't need full power loads.  Have arthritis bad and was dreading firing any heavy loads.  Have a lot of 311284 boolits and appropriate powders.  Rifle comes tomorrow and with any luck (weather and yard work) figure to have a box of AI brass formed and start load development by the weekend. If all goes well may even be able to squeeze in a trip or two to the trout stream.

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 14 May 2017

As I recall from back in '69, I used some 110gr that I had on hand and a book load of IIRC 4895.  Been using those same cases all these years.  My hunting load is 49gr of H4831 pushing a 180 Horndy RN at 2200.  With an Ackley barrel I normally get less than 1/2" groups.  Enjoy!  GW

I have recently graduated the old girl to cast RD165's, seems more appropriate for an old Martini.  Looks promising.  FWIW, I very seldom FL size, just neck size with an old Herters neck sizer for a .300Sav.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wd-30/40
Rich/WIS posted this 17 May 2017

Rifle came yesterday, has several pitted spots on outside of barrel, probably finger prints and then stored without a proper cleaning.  Has had buttstock and forend replaced with a full pistol grip stock with European style pancake cheek piece and forend shaped to a schnabel tip.  Workmanship  on the stock isn't bad, certainly but not a Bubba job.  Overall happy with the rifle.  Fire formed  50 cases today, 12.5 Gr Blue Dot and Lyman 311284, formed perfectly.  Throat is short, had to seat with scraping groove well inside case neck.  Will try the 311291 as they are shorter and save the 311284 for my 94 Krag.  Tried neck sizing the fired cases with a  300 Sav die but the shoulder diameter is too large to enter the die far enough to size the neck, the die leaves a slight mark on the shoulder of the case.  Found a 300 WSSM die cheap and have it on the way.  Zeroed first at 25 yards then had a lot of fun banging the 6" gong at a 100 yds.  Didn't try for groups at 100 yards but shots were vey nearly touching when I was zeroing at 25 yards so expect it will do well. 

Attached Files

Close