forming 25/20 WCF from 32/20 brass

• Last Post 13 April 2020
GWarden posted this 13 April 2020

I know there have been post in the past on forming 2/520 WCF from 32/20, but I wanted to share my method and I have had good success, it does not required lots of steps. I have attached one pic and hope this helps. I start with Starline brass, and it is important in each step to use Imperial sizing die wax. 1. Start with 25/20 WCF seater die, remove the seater stem and now we will full length size the 32/20 brass. DO NOT try and muscle through any of these steps by just pulling down on your handle on your loading press, if you do you will end up with nothing more than crushed brass. I do not anneal the brass prior to these steps, and do not get crushed brass. You can either screw the seater die clear down and then take short strokes on your press handle and then back off and repeat until you have completed this step. Screw the die in far enough to full length size, but do not turn the neck in as forming a crimp. The other method for this first step is to turn the die in just part way and size, back off on the handle, turn the die in just a bit more and repeat until full length sized. 2. Now use your 25/20 WCF full length size die and remove the expander plug. Use your Imperial sizing die wax. Again, don't run the brass through the die in one stroke, but a bit at a time as in the first step. Last step is to use your Lyman "M" die in 25 cal. Check to make sure your brass fits your rifle chamber. If it does not go, may need to turn your sizing die just a bit more. This process has worked and if you go slowly you will not crush any brass.  

Bob 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 13 April 2020

Bob,

Nice clear instructions for something you know works. The principles involved,( use of seating die before the FL die, the wax, going slow) probably also apply for 25-06 from 3006, 25-35 from 30-30, etc.

I think Glenn should have the chance to consider it as a short article for TFS.

Anything a member, or non-member for that matter,  can do to provide interesting material for TFS is helping the CBA maintain a high standard journal.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
GWarden posted this 13 April 2020

John

Glenn is more than welcome to use the info.

bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close