Forming 300W / 300BO from .223 / 5.56

• Last Post 28 October 2019
Richard Pickering posted this 28 October 2019

For those who have made cases for 300W, do you have a preference in parent cases ?  Do you choose Commercial or Military ? I weighed one SSK casing that was 84gr. Do your cases mirror that weight ? Mine are to be used in a TC Contender 10'' (SSK barrel). Did you anneal ? Did you need to ream necks ? Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 28 October 2019

For those who have made cases for 300W, do you have a preference in parent cases? - Not really, whatever I have that is one lot number and I know the number of times they have been fired. 

Do you choose Commercial or Military? - Lot numbers, a large enough sample whether commercial or military that I have some extra to use setting up  I prefer commercial, but good military brass is acceptable.. 

I weighed one SSK casing that was 84 gr. Do your cases mirror that weight? - uniformity of weight, say +/- 2 grans, is more important than weight. Some military issue bras will come very close. others will not.

Mine are to be used in a TC Contender 10'' (SSK barrel). - Factory chamber? Setup using the chamber to assure headspace is tight, but the T/C ill close easily.

Did you anneal?  - Always is more than two calibers difference. I once worked .348 Winchester to .50-110 WCF which cured me from buying calibers I cannot make in one pass in the sizing die. 

Did you need to ream necks? - No. The reamer will follow the least resistance in the hole and not even out the neck walls. When needed, I outside neck ream since this removes the high spots. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 28 October 2019

For those who have made cases for 300W, do you have a preference in parent cases ? Yes  Do you choose Commercial or Military ? Military Lake City (LC) from one year production run I weighed one SSK casing that was 84gr. Do your cases mirror that weight ? Don't know Mine are to be used in a TC Contender 10'' (SSK barrel). AR 15 build Did you anneal ? No Did you need to ream necks ? Not necessary for my chamber Thanks.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close