Hello

• Last Post 27 January 2017
shake posted this 27 January 2017

New to this web site, I have been a CBA member for a few years. I enjoy shooting cast bullets unfortunately I have some physical limitations that keep me from casting my own bullets so I purchase them “ready rolled". Does anyone else buy their bullets? What success? Any favorite recipes? Thanks for taking the time to listen to a old fart.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 27 January 2017

"Thanks for taking the time to listen to a old fart"

Welcome. You are good company!   

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 27 January 2017

Shake;

Welcome aboard! I have been casting my own bullets for pistol, rifle, BPCR and pistol, since about 1949 (yeah, I AM a “certified old fart") but, on occasion even I have bought cast or swaged bullets. Sometimes, I have even gotten good results. So, just do what you need to do, and have fun!

Some few years ago, I lost the vision in my right eye. I had to quit using long guns. I just doubled down on my earlier results using those “short” guns, shooting handguns right handed but left eyed. It only took a couple of range sessions, and I was “back in the saddle". Amazing!

If necessary, continue to buy cast bullets and ENJOY! THOUSANDS do by choice. Me, I will continue to cast until I cannot hold a mold in my hands

Dale53

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 27 January 2017

Welcome to our forum,

Ed Harris writes often about using store bought bullets for both his pistols and his bunny guns.  According to what I read and my limited experience with them, a lot of them too hard for optimum performance in many loads. Probably because some beginners think harder is better so they sell and ship better.  In the past I used some brands with good success.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 January 2017

when buying commercial cast bullets do some research and get info from several casters .... as above, suppliers usually offer standard bullets that are too small for their hardness .

thus too small to fit your gun's throat and also too hard to expand enough at firing to improve the loose fit . ( fit is everything ... ) .

however some casters offer larger bullets and also you might try calling a caster and see if they could deliver your purchase either sized to your specs or even as-cast-larger ....   back in the day there were casters who would cast whatever you asked for .... back in the day before 1 per cent profit margins and when it was fun to have a business and considered your customers as friends ....

might be one of those people out there yet ... heck, you might even ask here for specific bullets if your project is sort of interesting ...might be somebody trying the same thing ...

just some thoughts,

ken

Attached Files

shake posted this 27 January 2017

Thanks for all the kind responses. I am currently shooting a K-31 with Missouri Bullet Co. 120 gr. 32-20 bullets sized to .311 and 6.5 gr. Bullseye. Results are good not great. But they are fun to shoot

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 27 January 2017

For experimentation, I have sometimes  bought a sample of bullets to try before buying a mold. 

As an example, The SAECO #315 is offered online. Buying 500 and testing in your K-31 would be an expeditious way to see if this bullet shoots well before investing in the mold, sizing die, nose punch, etc. You can often get the supplier to sell them without lube if you have a preferred lube.  

The SAECO #315 and RCBS 30-180-SP are two good starting bullets for .30 caliber rifles. 

Good luck in your future endeavors and welcome to the cast bullet scene. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close