Hunting for a different .40 bullet mold

• Last Post 10 December 2019
sudden thunder posted this 03 December 2019

Maybe someone has a 4033169, 403172, or 403173, or similar mold no lo gar being used. I've got a mold for 400gr, but am looking for something lighter, maybe 260gr to 300gr?

Shoot for the moon! Getting older may be inevitable, but acting your age appears to be optional ....

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 03 December 2019

It might help if you said what caliber you are shooting, and if you know the diameter you need.  If you end up with an undersized mold you will only experience frustration with it.  If you have been using a 400 grain bullet, I am guessing this is for a rifle.

IMHO, first thing is to measure your chamber throat or cylinder throats, a bullet that will just push through with light hand pressure is perfect.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 December 2019

... for a lower-bar plinking bullet, which would give a lot of fun shooting at 50 yards or so ... don't forget the 38-40 molds ... or even just the 40 SW pistol molds ... 175-260 gr. ....  i shoot a lot of 230 gr. in my 45-70 ...

not a huge choice in 40 cal ..... also consider a big hollow point conversion for an existing mold, or for a few, drill some hollow points ...

...and being so close to christmas, consider a gift to yourself from one of our supporting custom mold people ....  after casting your chamber/throat of course ......   i am predicting that custom molds will be more expensive in the future ... by a lot ...  today's prices are a real bargain ... a gift to we shooters ...

just some thoughts ... ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • sudden thunder
sudden thunder posted this 04 December 2019

Sorry, but yes this will be for rifle (40-65) and I want to re-create express loads for hunting, not for more than 100 yards. I already have mold for longer range (RCBS 8307 .40 400gr Spire Point) but for express hunting loads I am thinking of lighter bullets with flatter nose, better suited for energy transfer and wound channel, and at the shorter distances, a heavy streamlined bullet would not be my choice.

Shoot for the moon! Getting older may be inevitable, but acting your age appears to be optional ....

Attached Files

Ken, you have an excellent point about considering 38-40 bullets. I was planning on casting soft bullets and minimal sizing... but now your post is reminding me I have several unused .41 pistol bullet molds (both Keith SWC style and round nose) that should cast from from 195gr to 240gr. Possibly might be able to size down enough for some suitable plinking loads. In past years I also made up reduced loads for my 45-70s, but now I just don't have the arm strength for holding up my 45-70 rolling block for offhand shooting for very long. I'm planning on building another lighter and smaller rolling block sometime soon. But one project at a time.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
beltfed posted this 04 December 2019

sudden thunder,

First of all, is your 40-65 a "current or recently built rifle?

If it is it will probably be a 0.408-0.410 groove dia. Those "403XXX" molds you mentioned will

be too small in diameter for your bore, even tho, with BP, and cast very soft they would bump up

and maybe shoot decently for hunting.

So, the 38-40 bullets at 0.401" or so will also be too small in diameter as well as really too light at 180 gr or so. Almost Like shooting round balls.

Then, your 41 mag pistol bullets at 0.410 may work very well for you.

Last year I picked up a  Lyman 410459, 220 gr plain base Keith semi wad mold  that I am looking at

trying for a lighter load for my 40-65- in my case, mainly for offhand close range

practice understudy for my BPCR match shooting. There is also the 410610 version which is a gas check semiwadcutter design.

The original bullet weight in 40-65 was 265 gr. Maybe NOE or Accurate molds would have a flat nose  0.410 diameter bullet in that 265 to 300 gr weight

Just curious, are you looking at BP loading or smokeless?

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 04 December 2019

I have a modified lyman mold that is adjustable from 250 and 315 gr. it a flat nose plain base like a wad cutter and drops at .411 I've used it in my 40-65 with good results if you would like to try some I would sure cast some up for you

Attached Files

beltfed/arnie, these will probably bump ok (will be using blackpowder) rolling block with fairly new re-purposed barrel seems to be around .405 Not too concerned if they drop out the mold smaller than that. I find when running soft lead bullets through lubricator/sizer I can purposefully expand them slightly without deforming the nose. I know it's traditional to pan or finger lube, but I like sizing them so bullets are consistently round and held firm in "neck sized" cases without repeatedly belling before seating and then having to crimp. And like you say, the black powder also bumps them up.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 December 2019

I had Tom Ellis at Accurate cut a 252-grain mold for me which I use in my Ruger revolver chambered in 10x25mmR, and also in a single-shot Bunny Gun.  There is also a 260-grain version of the same profile, having a slightly longer nose with smaller meplat. You could easily order one and Tom can adjust the diameter as needed to fit your rifle to cast correct diameter in your alloy.   

Accurate 40-252H

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 December 2019

ref:  bullet size::

don't forget the first rule of selecting bullet sizes::   ( ok, the only rule ) ::

size to the throat/free bore/leade ... first, ......... then consider the bore & groove size if you are wanting a long nose bore rider bullet ...

it kind of looks like everything important happens in that first 2 inches after the primer pops ...

120 years and we still only have one rule ... 

i always wanted a 40-60/65 ....  let us know how your project is coming along ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
beltfed posted this 07 December 2019

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
  • sudden thunder

Ken,

How about this for a 40-65 result at 100yds ?

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • sudden thunder

And a 99-3x at 800yds

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

sudden thunder posted this 07 December 2019

Really...... don't you think there should be full disclosures (with all load details) when posting pics of such tiny groups! (Congrats though, very nice group@)

Attached Files

sudden thunder posted this 07 December 2019

Paper patches obviously... breech seated also? Powder? Weight? ROT?

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 07 December 2019

Might not be much help but SSK (are they still around?) used to sell molds. I had one for my 41 Mag. It was a 2-cavity, aluminum, that produced 275-grain plain based bullets. It was used to take the largest Mule a Deer I ever shot in Wyoming (1986). I also had a Hoch 296-grain mold that took a few deer also. The gun is a S&W Model 57, 8 3/8” bbl. factory iron sights.

The Lyman 410610 mentioned above was one of the many .41 molds that I had at one time. Might have been me but I tried that bullet in (6) different revolvers and never got it to work.

Tom

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 08 December 2019

My Rifle is a rebuilt original Hi Wall, 30"  K&P 16 twist barrel.

Load is in fire formed unresized cases formed from WW 45-70 new brass.

Fed 150M LP primer seated thru "target paper", 

74.5 gr Swiss 1.5 / 0.060 LDPE wad seated with about 0.050" compression

Finger seat my DDEPP(DualDiameterEllipticalPaperPatched) 371 gr bullet about 0.125" into the case.

Alloy is my  9+1 COWW/Lino. It is 1.325" long so is stabile out to 1k from my 16 twist barrel.

Bullet is available from Buffalo Arms  :  JIM403380E. ( no, I do not get "royalties")

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 08 December 2019

Oh, the 371 gr DDEPP bullet/load from my 40-65 HiWall clocks 1403fps over my Oehler 33.

It shoots very well in a friend's Brg 40-65 and a couple others. One guy in Az. shoots it to good effect

from his 40-70SS in Silhouette matches .

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

sudden thunder posted this 10 December 2019

Admirable - I am impressed!

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 10 December 2019

I just turned 78

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Close