I like this 327

• Last Post 10 February 2020
delmarskid posted this 23 January 2020

I am really starting to love this 327 Federal Magnum. I have a pair of single seven Tigers . One is a stainless 7 1/2" and the other is a blued bisley with a 5" barrel. I started shooting with American Eagle 100 g factory to get some brass. O was immediately impressed with the tight groups, ease of making hits, flat trajectory and horrendous noise! These things are right up there with a Ruger 30 carbine for high pitched eargershplittin . Since then I have added a 105g semi-wadcutter and a 135g wide flat mosef bullet. I put the 105's over 3.5g of bullseye and the 135's run nice over 11.5 of W296 . I use small rifle primers with both. The recoil with the heavy bullet is about like a loaded down .357 mag . The 105 is a sweetheart . The 135s sre sighted to hit 6" high at 50 yards and appear to be nearly on at 150. We have good snow cover here so I could check lateral dispersement fairly easily. I had about a foot at 150 yards. Off of a rest I was getting about 5" at 50 yards with some of the group under 2".
I would love to see this cartridge in a nice single shot rifle.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
DBW posted this 10 February 2020

delmarskid,

Does Henry have a custom shop that would take an unchambered thirty thirty bbl for their single shot and chamber it for the 

threetwentyseven using a twotwentythree ejector? Just a thought........DBW

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 29 January 2020

I got a prompt response from Henry and it was no. They don't ship any incomplete products for liability reasons .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 January 2020

... a simple single shot ... gotta bring up the little Ithaca 49, " martini " action 22 rf.   i paid about $50 for a ratty used one with a worn out chamber ... ( it is still tight so only needs a fresh chamber .. thinking about putting on a match barrel ... )  but it is so cute i wonder if some little cnc shop somewhere couldn't turn out a $199 " martini " in 25-20, Bee, and yep ... 32 Mag.  bet they could sell directly to enthusiasts groups and do quite well in this day of internet marketing.

just some trivia ... ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2020

DBW

Uberti did from the 1960's through about 2000 in Hornet and 357 Magnum, with an occasional run of 22 WMR. Plus pistols in several calibers, that never sold well at all, mainly because of the price point. I had one converted to 218 Bee, but it was not accurate enough for anything but a 50 yard plinker, i.e. 2 inch groups even with a 4X scope mounted.

Ric

Attached Files

DBW posted this 29 January 2020

RicinYakima

Yeah the Henry is clunky,heavy and not balanced but it shoots good. When my shop warms up this spring I plan on doing a weight and balance program on it. Slimming the wood down like on the early Winchesters should help a lot. My Marlins benefit from this too. Being a lefty single shots and lever actions are my favorites. Wish someone would make a nice small affordable rolling block in 22 hornet and various pistol calibers.           DBW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
delmarskid posted this 29 January 2020

I sent an email to Henry asking as to whether they would sell a single shot 30-30 without a chamber being cut . I expect not but we never know until we ask .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 January 2020

... thinking about an insert for a 32 Fed. Mag. in a 45-70...

.. not really that difficult .. would look like a 45-70 case with a ? 0.449 ? neck extending about 8 inches down the main barrel to get some accuracy.. ... not just a chamber insert, as used on same-caliber sub-chambers.

but it might stick in there from powder residue blowback leakage. ... or tube expansion from powder pressure.

i guess there could be a slide-in/slide-out full-length insert as in a fancy shotgun barrel insert set ...  might be about as accurate though ... ( g ) ...

... as for ( glued in ) barrel liners ... since the liner has to be chambered and extractor fitted anyway, usually the only reason to use liners is to retain the original outer barrel for collector or nostalgia value.   ... OR such as the old break-action HR Handi-rifles or shotgun conversions .. then line the original " stub " for relative simplicity in fitting.

fun to think about these projects ... ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 27 January 2020

Hmmmm.  A CPA would be cool in .327 FM.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 26 January 2020

My preference would be a falling block single shot rifle . I keep trying to figure out how to put an insert in my Browning BPCR 45-70. I have a neat little .22 lr barrel for it from Buffalo Arms . 25-20 liners are 7/16" and 32-20 and 308 liners are 1/2" . Could the 1/2" liner be turned to slip in ? Does someone want the job?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 January 2020

I have been looking at the Henry, just for the chambering. But they are so ugly and out of proportion I just can't pull the trigger.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 26 January 2020

I've been eyeballing the Henry .

Attached Files

DBW posted this 25 January 2020

I have a Henry lever rifle in .327 mag. accurate, not too loud (loaded down to 900 1000 fps). Have not finished working up loads yet, but have a few 1 1/4" groups @ 100 yds 1400+ fps  acc. 31-125mb & 31-100r bulllets fun to shoot whether rolling cans or hunting . This thing can be as mild as a 32-20 or almost hot as a 762x39. I need a decent 1-5 scope but young eyes could just use the iron sights. DBW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • delmarskid
Ed Harris posted this 25 January 2020

I had John Taylor rebarrel a Remington 722 (formerly a .222) to 7.62x25 which is a hoot to shoot.  The .327 from a rifle would give similar ballistics.  John's reamer to CIP print permits seating 160-grain cast bullets out, being subsonic with 10 grains of IMR4198 or 1350 fps with 10 grains of IMR4227.  

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 25 January 2020

I take it on my trap line also use it around where I feel like to. I had it done that I can save the cases after fire .it will not throw out the cases that is one thing my gunsmith ask me when he build it For a about 106 gr cast boolit at 50 years I got 3/4" group. 21" barrel 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 24 January 2020

A handi-rifle in that caliber would be a good fit for me .

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 24 January 2020

I had my gunsmith make me a Handi Rifle in 327 mag for the reason of how it will be use. I like it , He use a H&R rifle as the base 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 24 January 2020

I was hoping to find a shot out Savage .223 . I can live with a single shot .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 January 2020

32 Fed Mag in a rifle, eh ? ... with a 0.375 rim, it might be easily installed in a now-.223 or .222 rifle ... might not feed real smooth in a 223 magazine tho ...

hey, i got a stiff-action 223 in a remmy 788 that i haven't shot for 15 years, seemed boring  ( 5/8 moa with Noslers ! )  ...  a classic savage 30 cal barrel could easily be fitted to a 788 ...

or i have a couple match barrels ...  308 W. in a lilja or a black star 308 blank available if someone has an action.  pm me if.  assuming for cast we could use a 0.308 groove.  i think these are 12 twist.

probably less blast from a 24 inch barrel... heh .   

hey, would add a little pizzazz for a switch-barrel in a Ruger 3 now in 223 ...  great tin-can roller ...

gotta think about projects during these boring january-february doldrums ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Hamish posted this 23 January 2020

I just figured you really, really, really like it,,,,,,,,(lol)

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 23 January 2020

I can spell but I can't text.

Attached Files

Close