lee C 225-55-RF mold

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2017
R. Dupraz posted this 23 January 2017

Recently I bought a Lee 225-55-RF GC two cavity mold with the idea of using it in my .218B as well as my other center fire 22's. And after casting some in my standard alloy of WW + some type for fill out, I found that the nose is way too large for the bore of the B as well as the other center fire 22's that I have,- .223". They need to be a max of .219” or maybe .220 so that I could size the nose down. with a NOE .219” nose bushing.

The other mold that I have for the B is an NOE 225-60-RN PB that drops a bullet with the nose at .220". I  then milled .065” off the top so that now the bullet length falls under the upper length limits of the 12” twist according to Greenhill. And size the nose down with an NOE.219” nose bushing. This combination is shooting well in the Contender, Averaging under an inch for five at fifty so far.

And trying to size the nose down .004” doesn't work, too far. Thought of a different alloy but doubt that there would be that much difference. Right now, the mold is useless to me. Still undecided whether I will contact Lee or not. With the cost of the mold plus postage back and forth, probably just throwing good money after bad..

The question is... For those of you who have and use this mold, Do I have an exception or the rule with this Lee?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GP Idaho posted this 23 January 2017

R. Dupraz:  Good to read of your success with the NOE 60gr.  As to the Lee 225-55-rf , I just measured a few of mine and the noses measure .219. This is with an alloy BHN of 16 to 18. As with most Lee moulds it's kind of the luck of the draw. some being favorites and others trash bin material.  This bullet being fairly short doesn't reach lands in most of my 22s and so works well for my plinking rounds.  Gp

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 23 January 2017

This is how mine measured in 30/1.

Frank

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 23 January 2017

Lead specs between mold halves will cause over size noses. Have you checked?

BTW ... a 60 grain .223 bullet will stabilize in my 1/12 twist barrel ?

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 January 2017

OU812

I know that lead between the blocks can effect size and there are none

Those 60 grainers did not tip but shot  significantly larger groups at fifty. compared to the now 53 grainers out of this shortened mold

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 24 January 2017

I hope you will send the defective mold back.  If we all did that we would get better products.  it  certainly qualifies as defective.  I have been shooting bore riding 22 bullets for over 30 years in any number of rifles and have never had one, even very high mileage ones) that would take a bullet nose .223” in diameter.

John

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 24 January 2017

Makes sense John, Think I'll send it back to Lee and see what happens.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 February 2017

I called Lee Precision about that mold and was told that the dimensions are within their tolerances. -0 to +.003". Said that I could send it to them but decided not to spend the postage just so they could tell me the same thing again.

It has been added to the “thought it was a good idea at the time” box.  

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 02 February 2017

Shows how far out of the loop I am. Last I checked, Lee only offered the Bator design.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 02 February 2017

I called Lee Precision about that mold and was told that the dimensions are within their tolerances. -0 to +.003".

If any machine shop held those poor tolerances, they would be out of business in a short time. Good thing Lee molds are cheap.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 February 2017

Well, I was a little disappointed, When the Tech asked why I couldn't seat the bullet deeper in the case and me explaining why not, I figured that there was no point in continuing the conversation any further.

I have three centerfire .22's here and the bores in all three measure .219” - to a very tight .220". Now I don't claim to be a machinist by any stretch, just a basement mechanic with some machine tools but I do know that you can't fit a .222” - 223” bolt in a .219” hole, even if it is lead..No problem with the bands, they can be delt with by sizing but not the nose dimensions.

Now I understand that those Lee molds aren't the most expensive blocks out there and you get what you pay for but it seems to me that they really don't have an understanding of cast bullet fit and the proper tolerances involved, at least in this case anyway. . 

Of course, my problem of nose fit was the first one that the Tech had ever heard of.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 02 February 2017

I bet a softer alloy and tighter neck tension would chamber and “may” even shoot better, but you will need a softer alloy and lead is not cheap.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 02 February 2017

I wonder if using Imperial sizing wax on the noses would help bullet chamber?

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 03 February 2017

If you happen to have a Hornady cam lock bullet puller in that caliber, you might try applying some pressure on the circumference of the nose of a loaded round, rotate about 45 degrees and apply again and see if it will chamber.  The amount of pressure that the collet applies is adjusted in the die. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 February 2017

rd:

i have a 6 cav bator mold ( blocks )  ... new ... i bot when i thought they might discontinue them ...   since they are new, i don't know dimensions on mine ...

i would trade for your nose too big bator 2 cav ....   i am playing with swages and it might be interesting to see what happens to your excess lead ....where will it go ?    or do i just regard your bator as extra swaging lead ?? ...

if you have interest, email me .... i hate these pm's .

in case you might feel guilty, just throw in a colt python to boot ....   optionally let us know how they work ...

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 03 February 2017

Thanks for the replies

My alloy is 10/1 wheel weights and lino which checks 10 Bnh according to Lee. Those NOE plain base 53 grain pills are making nice groups at fifty when moving at 1100 FPS out of my .218B Contender. and the bullets from the Lee mold are cast from the same alloy so don't know that going softer would make any difference. Maybe so though.

Don't think that lubing would help because the oversize noses are the problem, there is just too much metal to move around. I did try sizing the noses with an NOE .219” nose bushing and it did reduce the nose diameter to .219” but in the process mashed a ridge of lead around the front driving band.

The Hornady cam lock bullet puller. Don't have one but not a bad idea if I did.   

For now, anyway, I have chucked a few of those Lee's up in my lathe and turned the noses down to .218"-219", And as soon as the temp, around here warms, I'll give these a try in the B.   

Dang mold does cast nice bullets though.    

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 February 2017

Remove the front band and fill in the lube groove then bump. Tumble Lube with 45-45-10.

Send it back Paul

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 09 February 2017

I solved my problem with that Lee C225 55 RF mold. Bought an RCBS 225-55-SP. Got it today. Scrubbed it briskly with a tooth brush and brake cleaner and after 20-25 casts to warm the mold up proper, it was dropping good bullets.

Base bands - .226"

Nose - .220"

easily sized down 1/.001” to the Dimensions that I needed

Base - .225"

Nose -.219"

And, Midway USA had it on sale besides. Now the question remains, will it shoot itty bitty groups? Seems like a good place to start from none the less.  

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 09 February 2017

My guess is no, but a soft alloy and a quicker burning powder like Tite Group will help.

Attached Files

Close