Lee c358-158 swc

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 22 August 2019
cfp4570 posted this 19 August 2019

I recently finished a handi rifle barrel chambered in .38 special using a Green Mountain 9mm 1 in 10 twist blank. First groups were fired with mild loads with a Lee 125 rf at 50 yards and gave 1.5" groups. I then tried the Lee 158 semi wad cutter gas check (with and without the checks) and I got shotgun patterns at 50 yards. No leading, nice round holes in paper, but bad groups. Since then, I've tried every other 35 caliber mould I own including 95 grain fp .380 bullets, the 358311 round nose, 358430 200 grain, and Lee 200 grain flat point. All shot great except for the semi wad cutter. I tried it with 5 different powders and loads ranging from very light to starting loads for the .357 magnum with no luck. I finally just decided to avoid this bullet. Does anybody else have less than stellar performance with this particular bullet from rifle barrels? Maybe the 10 inch twist is too fast? I've only shot it from revolvers at short range until this. Forgot to mention that I tried sizing it .358 and .356. If it made a difference, I could not tell. All bullets were coated with hi tek, but I also tried some with 45:45:10

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
cfp4570 posted this 20 August 2019

Steve, thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, I shot some more out of two different .38 revolvers off sandbags at 25 yards and shot a few groups using other bullets and the swc in question was the least accurate of all. Now for the weird part--loaded BACKWARDS cut the group size in half. Go figure. I've been pretty lucky in shooting cast bullets without much issue. This one was my first real anomaly.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
BigMan54 posted this 21 August 2019

We've been shooting the Lyman #358665 Cowboy for years out of My Kids Marlin 1894CS & 1894CB(24")  for 20+ years. 

Used 3.0grs to 3.5grs of Bullseye or Titegroup in .38Spl cases.  Gave  2 1/2" groups at 50yrds. All that's needed for Cowboy Shooting.  But they did shoot a bit low at 50yrds. I also tried My std .357Mag loads of the Lyman #358156 over Max 2400. Gave a bit tighter average group of 2" - 2 1/4" .

I bought the Lee 358-158-RF 6cav mold last year. It casts a very clean bullet. And shoots as well as it's Lyman counterpart. And the mold is a bit lighter then the Lyman and casts half again as many bullets.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
JeffinNZ posted this 22 August 2019

I honestly think that a 1 in 10" twist barrel is too fast a twist for a pistol designed bullet.  I know I've accurately shot in other calibers with faster twist and I don't know with out looking it up what the twist is in my 1894C Marlin.  Just looked it up.  1 in 16". 

I have to disagree. I have a .303 Brit barrel on my Martini .32-20. This is a 125gr bullet at 50m.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
sghart3578 posted this 19 August 2019

I tried that bullet over various charges of 2400 in my new 2019 built Marlin 1894C.  Very poor performance.  Could not find a good load.

I abandoned this bullet and went with an RCBS 38-162-SWC.  Groups shrunk to about 1" at 50 yards.

I love Lee molds but this one didn't work for me.

Steve in N CA

Attached Files

sghart3578 posted this 20 August 2019

I know what you mean.  I have always had good luck with Lee molds and cast bullets in general from several guns.

If someone on this forum would like this mold they can have it for $10 in shipping costs.

I cast about 70 bullets from it.

Steve in N CA

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 21 August 2019

Since buying a 6 cavity Lee 158 gr SWC, I've never used the Lyman since.  Shoots great for me.  I really like thier 6 cavity molds for high production.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 22 August 2019

I love the Lee six cavity moulds and the 358-158 RF will be in my possession soon. The 158 swc shoots ok out of my contender, but this barrel just seems to have an aversion to it. I use the Lee 358-125RF for most of my .38 plinking. It shoots great and conserves lead.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 22 August 2019

Thirty five caliber is a family favorite and I load for all of us so I own a lot of 35cal. moulds. Mihec, Noe, Saeco and Lee.  I have and use the Lee 35-158-SWC. I don't remember ever trying it in any of the four thirty five caliber rifles we have. I guess it just doesn't look to me to be a rifle bullet. It works as good as most in our GP-100s but is heavy in the Ruger LCRs. The rifles work the best for us with the RNFPs.  Gp

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 22 August 2019

I contacted Lee a couple years ago and suggested they redesign the 358-158RF into gas check design.  This would then be a perfect bullet for shooting in rifles and still work well in handguns.  They shined me on and said I could order a custom mold.  If you look at the same designed bullets in their mold line you will see it available in .44, .45 and .50 cal. in regular pricing and design.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

I recently finished a handi rifle barrel chambered in .38 special using a Green Mountain 9mm 1 in 10 twist blank. First groups were fired with mild loads with a Lee 125 rf at 50 yards and gave 1.5" groups. I then tried the Lee 158 semi wad cutter gas check (with and without the checks) and I got shotgun patterns at 50 yards. No leading, nice round holes in paper, but bad groups. Since then, I've tried every other 35 caliber mould I own including 95 grain fp .380 bullets, the 358311 round nose, 358430 200 grain, and Lee 200 grain flat point. All shot great except for the semi wad cutter. I tried it with 5 different powders and loads ranging from very light to starting loads for the .357 magnum with no luck. I finally just decided to avoid this bullet. Does anybody else have less than stellar performance with this particular bullet from rifle barrels? Maybe the 10 inch twist is too fast? I've only shot it from revolvers at short range until this. Forgot to mention that I tried sizing it .358 and .356. If it made a difference, I could not tell. All bullets were coated with hi tek, but I also tried some with 45:45:10

Because I said so!

Attached Files

I honestly think that a 1 in 10" twist barrel is too fast a twist for a pistol designed bullet.  I know I've accurately shot in other calibers with faster twist and I don't know with out looking it up what the twist is in my 1894C Marlin.  Just looked it up.  1 in 16". 

Because I said so!

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 22 August 2019

Well, most 9mm Luger barrels are 1 in 10" twist, starting with the original Lugers.  They don't beat out 38 Specials in bullseye shooting, but, most 9mm can be made to shoot pretty accurately with cast.  Big thing is not to have an undersized bullet.

Attached Files

Close