Lee slugs

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 31 January 2020
gunauthor posted this 28 January 2020

Over the weekend, I spent some quality time casting Lee 7/8 ounce slugs.  I plan to use them for offhand practice as I am thinking about using slugs to deer hunt this fall (using projectiles from Ballistic Products).  My load is a Lee slug, L078 wad and a light charge of Bullseye or Clays in a Gun Club hull.  My shotgun is a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and scope. Any idea what accuracy I can expect at 25 yards (I'm an old geezer and don't feel like walking back and forth to the 100 yard targets).  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Brian Capps aka Gunauthor 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 28 January 2020

I suggest you save yourself some steps as well as frustration by starting at 50  yards or even 25 if your experience with that slug is anything like mine.  Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

John

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 28 January 2020

A friend of mine was getting 3" at 50 yards using green dot. I don't know what shotgun he was using.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 28 January 2020

I've never really loaded shotgun. (I do load 410's with a very old Lee Loader.)  What equipment would you need to load slugs?  Do you need one of those MEC machines?

Can it be done without a big investment in equipment??

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 28 January 2020

Brian,

My experience with that slug was cloverleafs at 100Y, using 700X in AA hulls in an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.  I would think minute of coffee can lid would be fairly easy to achieve with the 500.

Attached Files

gunauthor posted this 28 January 2020

I sent you an e-mail in which I attempted to answer your questions.

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 29 January 2020

I bought both 7/8 and 1 ounce. The 7/8 shot very well in my friends Remington auto. So he bought that mold from me. The 1 ounce shot better in my Remington pump with a Hastings rifled tube. They are intended for rifling not smooth bore. You should do fine. The high priced slugs such as Hornady are better or they were for me. I took deer with the Lee. Most my shooting not more than 75 yards. I think you’ll be happy and you’ll have fun in the process.

Attached Files

gunauthor posted this 29 January 2020

Thanks for all the help, I think I'll give the 1 ounce slug a try.

Attached Files

lotech posted this 29 January 2020

I bought a Lee l2 ga. slug mould ( Ithink it was the one ounce version) years ago and didn't have very good luck with it. Then I bought a Lyman slug mould. Accuracy was much improved over the Lee. 

Attached Files

gunauthor posted this 30 January 2020

I got to the range yesterday and tried out my slug loads (7/8 ounce Lee slug, 19.3 grains of Bullseye, L078 wad in a Remington Gun Club hull; speed was estimated at 1300 fps.  As it was cold and miserable, I only fired 10 rounds, five on one target to adjust my zero and five more for group size.  I was pleasantly surprised as four slugs went into a raggedy hole and the last shot I jerked sending the projectile out of the group.  This was at 25 yards which was certainly no long range, but decent enough to warrant trying them next time at 50 yards.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 30 January 2020

I used to get 2" to 3" groups at 50 with 735" round balls and 80g of fff from my light rifled H&R 12 ga. It was kind of like hearing a fastball hitting the mitt when they went into the berm.

Attached Files

foesgth posted this 31 January 2020

My go to load for 7/8 oz lee slugs is from BPI.  I use 24.1 grains of Red Dot with a PT1205 wad.  I use an overshot card and roll crimp with a drill powered roll crimper.  I got my crimper from Slugs R Us for under $20.00.  So, no you don't need a shotgun press to make slugs.   These shoot great out of my Mossberg 590.  I have seen folks glue the overshot card down with white glue if you don't want to spend the $20.00. 

I have been buying Rio pre-primed hulls.  I watch for sales and usually get them for about 5 to 6 cents each.   There is no Hazmat charge on primed hulls like there is on primers. That way I don't need to resize and condition hulls.  You don't need to spend a lot to start loading for shotgun!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • max503
shjoe posted this 31 January 2020

I would agree. I feel that the 7/8oz lee slug is more stable out of a smooth bore barrel. I load 3 00 buck pellets under a card ward, then the 7/8 oz slug for short range (50yds) a buck and ball load.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Close