Lever Gun in 327 fed

• Last Post 31 March 2018
reggleston posted this 27 March 2018

Just acquired some 120 gr RNFP bullets from MOBCO and doing some trial depth settings for my Henry 327 fed rifle. Lyman's reloading manual for cast bullet indicates a max seating depth of 1.475" which given this is expressed in pistol cartridge reloading section is quite suitable for pistol loading, have used 1.472" OAL for my Blackhawk with good results w/o any chambering issues using the 100gr RNFP SNS bullet. Being a big fan of minimizing the jump of the bullet I have always seated just short of touching the lands with good results.

So thought I would try to lengthen the OAL for the Henry Rifle using the 120 gr RNFP MOBCO bullet version. Have successfully seated out to 1.572" OAL without any chambering issues. Bench testing should evaluate as to any accuracy advantage. Also noticed that any extension of .050" or more in OAL chambers fine but firing pin will slightly indent the chambered round consistently. Have some concerns here and have elected to stay at or below the 1.572" OAL for the Henry rifle. In the future will get a Hornady Depth gage when the tapped case becomes available for the 327 Fed cartridge. 

Would be interested in hearing from other Henry owners as to OAL seating experience.

R D Eggleston

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
nosee posted this 31 March 2018

Yes I try to pinch the pennys myself, but I have 13 different calibers that I have drilled & taped. Not all mine, I help others reload. You are right, holding the brass is not easy. Nosee

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 29 March 2018

reggleston,

There really is no "jump" of cast bullets that fit correctly, That is what makes them shoot better than jacketed bullets in lever rifles. Cast oversize bullets and size them to an ink checked slide on chambering and there will be no jump from a cast bullet that is stable from a good fit.

Don't use jacketed bullet fit standards for cast bullets, they are NOT the same.

Your bullets in a dummy round should show a sliding all around  fit in ink for at least the first exposed driving band. This will cause the classic 1 pound increase in lever closing force over a jacketed bullet as you chamber a cast bullet round that fits correctly. When you get the fit correct you will also see an increase in accuracy. Ignore the bore dimensions and get a slide fit to chamber. Your barrel will size cast bullets to itself with that fit and they will shoot better.

Undersized cast bullets in your lever rifle will wobble down the bore, lead it up and shoot all over the place. Get the fit right first. Depending on your rifle's chamber and action you may also be able to optimize LOA to a .010" engagement of the ball seat for even more enhanced chambered bullet stability.

Any less than these fit recommendations for cast bullets subtract accuracy potential.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • DBW
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 March 2018

... also the wilson case holders for their trimmers are extremely concentric ... they are handy for lots of brass holding chores ...

ken

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 29 March 2018

I Have tap drills, by the time you buy a tap from MSC you will exceed what Hornady charges to tap a case for $15. Previous experience trying to accomplish this is difficult to do without deforming the case. V blocks won't hold the case for drilling and tapping without deforming the case.

Try using the sizing die to hold the case.......................................

Attached Files

reggleston posted this 29 March 2018

I Have tap drills, by the time you buy a tap from MSC you will exceed what Hornady charges to tap a case for $15. Previous experience trying to accomplish this is difficult to do without deforming the case. V blocks won't hold the case for drilling and tapping without deforming the case. You can make a case holding fixture using Delrin rod with a screw tightening feature to hold the case without deformation, looking at some machine work to accomplish. Guess my opinion is it isn't worth the expense and effort to save the $15 Hornady charge. The tap can be purchased from Victor Machine for $8.50 which will beat MSC's price but they have a $25 minimum order plus shipping. Yeah I am a cost benefit analysis type!

R D Eggleston

Attached Files

nosee posted this 29 March 2018

R D Eggleston:MSC Industrial supply, will sell you a drill bit=.279 is it,s size and tap 5/16x36nsh3,drill & tap one of yours. I think tap part # is04841367. their #8006457270  Nosee.

Attached Files

Close