Lyman 314299 in .303 Brit

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 10 December 2019
JeffinNZ posted this 20 August 2017

Greetings.

Some time ago I was given a new Lyman 314299 double cavity mould.  Until now I hadn't used it but recently decided experiments were long overdue.  I have a similar bullet design from CBE that my No4 Mk II Lee Enfield is rather fond of using charges of Alliant 2400.  Initial tests a couple of weeks back with 16, 17 and 18gr of 2400 showed great promise with the 16gr charge pushing linotype bullets.  This group is from this morning.  50m only but gives a good idea of what the old war horse can do.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
skeet1 posted this 10 December 2019

Jeff,

Nice looking bullets from your Lyman 314299. My 314299 casts bullets that come out of the mold measuring about .3135" and seem a little small for my 1950 Longbranch five groove. The bullets out of that mold come out showing a lot if machine marks and I suspect  that when the mold was made they used a cutter that was worn  out. I talked to Al at NOE to see when he might be making some more 316299's  and intend to buy one when they are in stock again. I have tried to measure the grooves on this rifle and as best that I can tell it is about .3145". I have other molds by NOE and the quality is second to none and hope that my rifle will shoot better without leading.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
pisco posted this 24 September 2019

hi what weight is the projectile i run 16 gr of powder in the 2400 range it seems to work good

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 22 September 2019

Probably answers my previous request on the another thread re rifle details and accurizing 😊

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 24 August 2017

Thanks for the tip. I'll tap some slugs up it's back side and measure. The thing has a walnut stock and it's in very nice shape. I was getting Lithgow no.1"s for 50 bucks when I had my firearms dealers license. I wish I had kept one they shot like a house on fire.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 August 2017

i too had one new in box .... for a couple years i variated back and forth whether to shoot it and turn it into a $74.49 used lee ... the pain of indecision got to me and i sold it ... i did peek into the corner of the box just to say i have seen a new one ... ... ken

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 August 2017

Dane, you'll neeed something a bit fatter for the two groove. I would advise something from NOE in the .316 range.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 23 August 2017

I have 1 of the #4 mk2's that came outa Northern Ireland about 25yrs ago, new in the cosmoline. I switched out the good rear sight from my old one & sold it off. Made enough to cover the cost of the new rifle & an old #314299 SC mold. I got 100rds of WINCHESTER white box ammo, pulled the bullets & necked up the Brass to .318dia. Neck-sized the Brass just enough to hold the bullets and close the bolt with a bit of snugness.  Ended up with 100 cases that fit the chamber with no sign of stretch. Neck-sized in an old Lyman 310 die.  Used 18grs of SR4759 under  .314size bullet cast of #2+, 2 " at 100yds. 4 firings & haven't lost a case yet.

I would be VERY INTERESTED in 5744 data. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 23 August 2017

Nice shooting Jeff. I have that mold and a Canadian no.4 mkI with a pretty 2-groove barrel. Now I can get motivated.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 August 2017

The Ross is now, and always has been, and excellent rifle! Keep working with the new 5744 and let us know how it does. Ric

Attached Files

bushranch posted this 22 August 2017

Nice to see some good work from the old .303. Several years ago  I went over to the .303 by way of a Canadian (1910) Ross and the old .303 British  Ideal 311299 . (Thanks Vliet's) ) I have used 15.0 grains of Hercules 2400 and now 15 grains of A 2400. Groups are the same and the new A 2400 shoots about  1 inch higher at 100 meters. 16 grains of 4759 is a good load. and I find that the new Canadian made Accurate 5744 at 15 grains is one of the best loads I have used. 

Mounted a low profile Lyman 17 on the Ross up front. Rear is issue aperture fully adjustable and can be locked down when set. Front and rear sights are 36 inches apart for easy adjustments. Perhaps Sir Charles did know a few things. !!

Rus

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 22 August 2017

Thank you gents.  I have had the No4 Mk II for a good many years and spent a lot of time bedding and pressure pointing the barrel to tune it.  It will do MOA with the right loads.  Presently it has the Parker Hale PH5C target aperture sight on it but has a scope mount also. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 22 August 2017

That's REAL GOOD SHOOTING !!!

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 August 2017

Outstanding!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 20 August 2017

Most excellent group!

Attached Files

Close