• Last Post 02 January 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
VinceInJax posted this 29 December 2019

Hello Everyone,

My name is Vince Edwards and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I have been shooting big bore airguns for the past year and I had no idea of this sport until my airgun tuner introduced me to it. I plan on shooting some postal matches with a soon to be purchased Bergara HMR .308.

Are there any cast bullet shooters in my neck of the woods?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 02 January 2020

Welcome Vince!  Since you said you already know that proper sizing is the key with air guns, in my experience, proper sizing (and in particular not having an undersized bullet) is also the key to cast bullet centerfire success. 

With your air gun experience and that Bergara rifle, you could easily become a force to contend with in at least local matches.  308 is generally easy to get shooting very well.  You might want to spring for some Lapua or Norma brass, or Hornady Match Grade.  (No idea which of these would be best for you).

Attached Files

VinceInJax posted this 02 January 2020

Yes, modern big bores have emerged as viable hunting alternatives. Many hunters routinely take deer between 70 and 150 yards. I typically set up between 50-60yds from a feeder and my .457 Texan sending a 350 grain BTFP cast bullet down range at 910 fps rolls piggies with a shot just behind the ear. I’m talking one step and done!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Squid Boy posted this 02 January 2020

I used Nuvair compressors as a commercial diver and they made systems up to 7000 psi but most of the portables were 4,500. Hang onto your wallet since breathing gas is expensive to make because of the purity required. A "full fill" has to be slow and best when the tank is in a water bath. I don't think breathing purity is required for an air gun but can't hurt. I am amazed at the distances being tossed around and using one for feral hogs is really something. Squid

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

... back when we played with the 17 cal. match air rifles, we had scuba shops supply us with the portable cannisters and also they refilled the cannisters ...  is that still an option ? ...

ken

Hey Ken. Unfortunately, this is only an option for older or entry level air rifles shooting pellets. Most high-end pellet shooters fill to 250 bar (around 3600 psi). Moder carbon fiber tanks (also known as SCBA or firefighter tanks) used to fill air rifles have high fill presures...up to 4500 psi and scuba shops cannot come close to filling to those pressures. Some commercial paint ball facilities have the ability to fill to pressures higher than a dive shop but they typically use cascade type fill arraingments which tax their systems. Also, the "slam" method paintball stores use to fill tanks heats up the tanks to the point that you'll leave the store with 4500 psi and once the tank has cooled, you may have 4000 psi left. 

Hope this helped!

Attached Files

Welcome from southern Illinois! I too would like to hear more about casting and shooting large bore air guns. Looking through the catalogs of custom mould makers, I'm seeing more and more airgun designs all the time.
Thanks for the welcome! Big bore airgunning is becoming increasingly popular for a variety of reasons but the main reason I got into the sport was the economy of ammo and the ability to hunt where property owners are reluctant to allow use of powder burners. I love to compete and fell in love with F-Class 600 and 1000 yard matches but I had a change of employment which included a substantial pay cut and could no longer afford to feed my purpose-built F-Class .308. Quiting competion and selling off my rifle was a very tough decision and a friend intoduced me to big bore airguns. 

Attached Files

Welcome Vince, Teach us about casting for big bore air rifles.

Ricin, casting for big bore air rifles and what you guys do here is strikingly simular. Air rifles don't require gas checks and the most critical aspect of a cast bullet for an air rifle is correct sizing. One method many air gunners use is "slugging" their barrels. This entails pushing a bullet (slug) throught the barrel from the rear using a cleaning rod and measuring the diameter of the bullet once its passed through the barrel. Then its a process of selecting a sizing die which will give you the desired results. I'v used Lee sizing dies but the NOE sizing system is more flexible.

Attached Files

Thanks for the welcome! The Texan series of big-bore air rifles are examples of impressive technology. I use my .257 for a medium long-range target rifle out to 500 yards, the .308 bucks the wind better and out to around 800 yards is money, and the .457 is set up for hunting...North Florida hogs being the primary quarry.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 January 2020

... back when we played with the 17 cal. match air rifles, we had scuba shops supply us with the portable cannisters and also they refilled the cannisters ...  is that still an option ? ...

ken

Attached Files

VinceInJax posted this 01 January 2020

Hi Paul, in my opinion the most important purchase a big bore air gunner will make is a compressor as hand pumping a 480 to 500cc tank is really not a comfortable option. Unfortunately, high-end compressors start in the $3,000 range but picking up a serviceable unit will run you about $1,400. I use the Air Venturi (https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/AirVenturiAirCompressorElectric4500PSI310Bar110V/7458). Mine has provided 2 years of trouble-free service but I’m anal about oil and filter changes.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 01 January 2020

Hi Vince,

‘Welcome to the CBA. What fill source do you use for your big bores? Hill hand pump? (ha!).  You’ve already put up the links for useful information. 

Paul

Attached Files

Thanks for the warm welcome Brodie! I'm looking forward to learning more about this interesting sport.

Attached Files

Thanks for the warm welcome! While I own several air rifles in the .177, .22, and .25 calibers I have been bitten hard by the big-bore bug. I currently shoot and AirForce Texan .308 set up for long-range (out to 500 yds), and AirForce Texan .457 which is set up as a feral hog hunting gun, and a soon to be acquired AirForce Texan in .257 which I will use as a medium-range (300 yds or so) plinking gun.

Although I've only been shooting big bores for about a year now, I'm lucky to have the opportunity to shoot at least 3 days each week and have put 1,00 rounds through the .308 and about 750 through the .457. I will be happy to post about my big bore journey particularly its relation to shooting cast bullets which is a lot closer than one thinks. 

I'll start with this: if you are transitioning from powder burners to air rifles, pellet shooters will not scratch your itch. No matter what you see on YouTube, big bores are not tack-drivers out of the box. While a stock Texan will serve admirably in a hunting role, a consistently accurate Texan will require 2 modifications: barrel tuning by Hunter's Supply (www.hunterssupply.com) and a Mad Dog stock (www.maddogdcrs.com). You will also need either a high-pressure air (HPA) compressor or access to a big air source as big bores consume a large quantity of air. Pair these mods with a good cast bullet and the results will amaze you. Ok, spoiler alert: my cast 135 BTSP zips at 1070 fps at a 270 bar fill. I 

More to come!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to learning about this fascinating sport.

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 31 December 2019

Welcome from southern Illinois! I too would like to hear more about casting and shooting large bore air guns. Looking through the catalogs of custom mould makers, I'm seeing more and more airgun designs all the time.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 30 December 2019

Welcome aboard Vince:

It is really a nice Christmas present to get two new members.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

JBinMN posted this 30 December 2019

I am new here as well, but wanted to Welcome you here as well.

I am interested in reading about these larger caliber air rifles too, since I am only familiar with the .177 & .22 ones.

If you get the time & have the inclination, Please consider taking the time to post up a bit of a description of the larger caliber airguns & how things work out for you on using them when casting projectiles yourself, instead of just buying "ready made" ones.

I think it would be very interesting to read about the differences you find, just like the differences between jacketed & cast bullets that many of us other shooters of powder using firearms experience. At least I think it is interesting anyway.

:-)

Once again, "Welcome" !

JB

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 29 December 2019

Welcome Vince, air guns are something we don't get to discuss here much so I am looking forward to your posts. A friend shoots an Air Force Texan in 357. Amazingly accurate and powerful. Happy New Year, Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 29 December 2019

There's lotsa us down inflorida everytime theres a freeze so we can shoot frozen iggywannas.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 29 December 2019

Welcome from the magical Pacific Northwest. Your input will be interesting. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 29 December 2019

Welcome to the fun. 

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close