• Last Post 24 March 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
Spindrift posted this 19 March 2020

Hello, everyone, and greetings from Norway!

I have been casting bullets for about 5 years, mostly for bottle neck rifle cartridges. I shoot both conventionally lubed bullets, and powder coated bullets. I am a hunter and recreational shooter. I have never participated in a competition, unless competing with yourself counts (those competitions can get pretty fierce, though).

I have following this forum for a while, lots of good information. Thanks for having me!

PS It seems there might be a problem with my avatar photo, it looks huge in my profile editor. Hopefully, I’ll find a fix for it

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Boschloper posted this 20 March 2020

Welcome from New Hampshire. Let me recommend membership and the postal matches.  Great way to compete against yourself and with a great group of guys that you will get to know even if you never get to meet any of us. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
  • John Alexander
mashburn posted this 20 March 2020

Hello Spindrift,

As with everyone else, welcome aboard. I am sue you will enjoy the forum and like others would like to have you as a CBA member. I was quite shocked in the wee hours last night to see your response to my post and then I pulled up the forum and saw your post as a new member from Norway. I wondered why anyone but me would be up at that hour, and  know I know, it was the time  difference in Norway.

Welcome,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
  • John Alexander
John Alexander posted this 19 March 2020

Spindrift,

Welcome to the CBA forum. Well, you certainly started off with a bang with your very informative post on powder coating.  I haven't tried powder coating yet but plan to and I like to shoot small calibers so your suggestion about the teflon crated fiberglass screen is noted.

I look forward to your future posts and if you have questions we have members with a lot of experience that will try to help.

If you PM me your email address I will send you a couple of issues of our journal in hopes of snaging you into membership.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Brodie posted this 19 March 2020

Welcome Spindrift we are glad to have you.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Mouldknocker posted this 19 March 2020

Welcome aboard !!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
RicinYakima posted this 19 March 2020

Good to see you here.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
JeffinNZ posted this 19 March 2020

Welcome

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Spindrift posted this 21 March 2020

You’re welcome!

Just keep in mind, my statements only represent my opinion at the time it was written. Powder coating is really a «work in progress» for me too, as is all other aspects regarding cast bullets. So, if you asked me the same questions in 6 months time, I might give you slightly different answers. 

We have 4 main cloven-hoofed game species in Norway. Moose, red deer, reindeer and the diminutive roe deer. Wild boar is making a comeback after being exctinct for several thousand years, but so far only in the south-east border regions bordering on Sweden. Many different kinds of small game; grouse, capercaillie, black grouse, ducks, goose, fox, hare and many more. Larger predator species, like brown bear, wolf, lynx and wolverine, are quite rare and hunting is extremely tightly regulated (and controversial).

The last few years, I’ve mostly hunted moose and reindeer. Not from lack of interest in other hunting forms, but rather limited time available for recreational activities, due to other obligations.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wd-30/40
mashburn posted this 21 March 2020

Thanks, now I know what you have to hunt in Norway.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
cfp4570 posted this 21 March 2020

Welcome from Illinois! My mother's great-grandfather emigrated here from Norway and settled in Wisconsin. I would also encourage membership in the CBA; the publication alone is worth the price.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
pisco posted this 22 March 2020

gday from australia 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Eutectic posted this 24 March 2020

Good morning from the Deep South (Georgia), where the tea is sweet and the ladies sweeter.

Your experiences and opinions are valuable information to add to the cast bullet data base..

We all have opinions!

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift

PPS Now I see the photo is in the correct format. Sorry.

Attached Files

Thanks, guys! John; pm sent🙂

Attached Files

Hello Spindrift,

For some reason, unknown to me, the my post that you responded to magically disappeared. So I will message you this way.

1st. You mentioned gas checking before powder coating. You must use some method other than shake and bake or I would think the checks would come off.

2nd.Have you noticed any pressure differences between jacketed and powder coated?

3rd. Is there any noticed increase in bore wear over jacketed?

4th. Have you fired any powder coated bullets in micro-groove barrels? I have a .375 Marlin and a 1895 Marlin in 45-70 that I want to use them in also.

Thanks in advance,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

1) I seat the checks, and run the bullets through a push-through sizer prior to coating. I prefer base- first sizing, using then NOE top-punch holder for the ram, and an appropriate top punch. I mostly use home made aluminum checks (Pat Marlin), but have used other checks as well. The Sages alu .30 checks are the only ones I have found, with a tendency to fall of during shake-and-bake. Hornady GC, copper gator checks of different makes,home made (even beercan checks in 6,5) stay put.

I shake-and-bake, using a small plastic container- easily held with one hand. I coat relatively few bullets at the same time (say; fifteen .22- bullets, or 5-7 .44- bullets). For the first batch of a coating session, I have to shake the container for a while (30 seconds, maybe). Then I place the bullets on the baking tray, put more bullets in the container, and shake again. But once the first batch of bullets is covered, you have built static in the container and can get away with much less shaking (10 seconds, maybe). 

2) With PC- bullets, I have not ventured into the region of maximum loads, usually I find happiness around starting level jacket loads, or slightly reduced starting loads. I have no way of measuring pressure. But I work on the assumption PC bullets give relatively lower pressure than jacketed bullets, due to the lower friction of the system. Which, in turn, affects the powder burn- giving an elongated pressure curve, with lower peak pressure. But this is only my theoretical assumptions, no actual observations to substantiate this claim.

3) I haven’t shot enough PC-bullets to answer your question regarding barrel wear. I would assume wear to be less, due to the lower pressure of the system. But again, I can offer only speculation.

4) My experience with micro-grooved barrels is limited to a few loads in my brother’s 30-30. With the bullets I chose, I found that the added girth of the PC shortened possible COL to the degree that no crimping option was available. For this reason, I chose conventionally lubed bullets. So, no PC- bullets fired through the MG- barrel. I see no reason why PC bullets shouldn’t work in these barrels, but I think I would start out with 0,002in overbore. 

There are lots of people with more experience on the subject than me. These are only my opinions, for what it’s worth. Good luck!

Attached Files

Spindrift,

Thanks again for the information. You have been able to answer more of my questions than any information I've found so far. Just out of curiosity, what kind of game do you have to hunt in Norway?

Thanks again,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Thank you!

Attached Files

Close