New to me Ideal 311466

• Last Post 11 June 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
jimkim posted this 29 May 2018

I found an Ideal 311466 for $25.00. I've wanted one for quite some time. This being my first mould of this design, I'm wondering, how many grooves do y'all normally lube?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dukem posted this 30 May 2018

I have gotten into the habit of lubing just the bottom groove with Ben's Red when I run it through the Star to size to .311" and seat he gas check. Then I put 50 in a Cool Whip tub with 10 drops of BLL and tumble. This seems to be working well for me with all of my cast bullets. My bores stay much like a 22 bore. No leading, push a patch with Ed's Red through it every few hundred rounds just because it seems like I should.

Duke

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
John Alexander posted this 30 May 2018

What is BLL?

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
Larry Gibson posted this 30 May 2018

I've a Lyman 2 cavity 311466 and a Lyman 4 cavity 311466U. I've litterly shot thousands of both through numerous 30 and 31 cal rifles. With #2 alloy the 2 cavity drops at .313 - .314 and the 4 cavity right at .311.  The older 2 cavity was probably cut for #1 alloy. 

From 1400 fps to 2900 fps out of 10, 12, 14 and 16" twist rifles that bullet has given exceptional accuracy. Using  NRA 50/50, 2500+ or 2700+ lubing the bottom 2-3 grooves for velocities upwards of 2000 fps is sufficient.  Above that velocity I lube all the grooves preferring 2500+ lube.

An excellent cast bullet for sure.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
delmarskid posted this 02 June 2018

I've had one for a long time. I've always filled all the grooves. It's easier to cast with than I expected as long as everything's hot enough. A good shooter for sure and easy on the lead and shoulder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
jimkim posted this 02 June 2018

I know I'm changing my topic a bit, I apologize if this bugs anyone. I have always wondered why Lee doesn't copy the Loverin moulds, and do them with the tumble grooves. It seems like it would be a natural fit. Not sure if "fit" is the right word.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 June 2018

I use White's Deluxe 45:45:10 tumble lube warmed once lightly before size/check and twice lightly afterward. The 45:45:10 has no speed limit at all.  Plain based bullets at low velocity only need one tumble lube coat Grooves never need to be filled with this lube, it is a surface lube that bonds tenaciously to lead and wouldn't feed out of the grooves where it is not needed even if you wanted it to..

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
OU812 posted this 02 June 2018

Multi lube grooves are a nice to experiment with. Start by lubing just one or two grooves and work up. Fire 10 or 20 shots then clean. You will know when there is not enough or wrong lube is being used...you will feel hard fouling in bore during cleaning. I like using LBT soft lube or soft lubes because they seem to sling off easier I think.

Fit is most important. No lube will fix ill fitting bullet.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 June 2018

I know I'm changing my topic a bit, I apologize if this bugs anyone. I have always wondered why Lee doesn't copy the Loverin moulds, and do them with the tumble grooves. It seems like it would be a natural fit. Not sure if "fit" is the right word.
Why does Lee use deep lube grooves on some of their bullets? To hold more lube?

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 03 June 2018

None of my Lee moulds have what I would call "deep" lube grooves. I think they use regular lube grooves for some moulds, because there is a market for them. I prefer regular grooves, for the most part, but I do have a few tumble lube designs, and they work well too. If anything my tumble lube bullets seem to hold more lube.

Attached Files

Dukem posted this 08 June 2018

John, sorry for the abbreviation. BLL stands for Ben's Liquid Lube. A 60/40 blend of liquid alox and Johnson's One Step liquid floor wax. Frankly awesome stuff. Sadly, the forces of evil, (spell that California), have caused Johnson's to stop making One Step. There has been a work around formula using Lundmark liquid floor wax. The Art and Science of Bullet Casting is another high class forum much like this one. Check it out.

Duke

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
JeffinNZ posted this 10 June 2018

Great bullet as is its larger brother the 311467.

I had one cavity of my 311466 cut to truncated cone and it casts in COWW at 175gr now.  Second from the right.  Awesome game bullet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
jimkim posted this 10 June 2018

It kind of looks like a long nose version of a Saeco 315. I am considering having mine hollow pointed. I haven't decided yet.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 June 2018

It seems I reinvented Mr Eagan's design.  I have done a bit of reinventing in my day. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • jimkim
Close