NRA

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 26 August 2020
beagle6 posted this 06 August 2020

Wayne La Pierre's excesses have been a topic of discussion here before, but now they have reached a point where the attorney general of New York is suing the NRA for tax violations and threatening to remove its tax exempt status among other things. This is serious stuff. Mr. LaPierre and a few others might well wind up in jail. Unfortunately, after listening to the allegations, I think a lot of it is probably true. What this all means for the future of the NRA remains to to be seen, but it seems likely that Wayne and others have been looting the coffers to the tune of many millions.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
sluggo posted this 26 August 2020

Controversy aside, I think the N.R.A. could improve its image by doing something I remember it used to do. I learned responsible firearm ownership and firearm safety from this organization. With the huge Influx of new firearm owners It wouldn't hurt for the N.R.A. to run some public service announcements about firearm safety. It may have internal problems but that does not mean that it still can't help new firearm owners. It might help its image. just my 2 cents.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 22 August 2020

John,

Thank you for your compliment to our participating members that this discussion has been reasoned.

Recognizing that our members are of various political bents and religions, we have banned discussions of politics and religion on the CBA forum. I believe that is one of the reasons that this discussion has been reasoned.

I am sure you will find many other locations where partisan political discussion is welcomed.

Regards,

John 

Attached Files

alamogunr posted this 22 August 2020

I don't come around here too often but of all the forums I frequent, this is the most reasoned discussion of the NRA situation.  I for one would like to see more discussion of using the vote to make sure that Mr. Biden and his associates don't get elected.

Secondly, I don't know how accurate the amount of LaPierre's exit package is but some investigation of modifying it or eliminating it entirely should be started.  Not likely to be effective since I don't know of any such movement in the corporate sector that has been successful but it might throw a scare into him.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Ed in North Texas posted this 18 August 2020

Even Liberal law school professors believe Tish James' effort to disestablish the NRA is gross overreach which isn't likely to be agreed to even by a Manhattan state court judge.  In a target rich environment (think the Clinton Foundation), James campaigned on attacking the NRA when running for the AG position.

As far as LaPierre goes, I would prefer if he were told not to let the door hit him in the butt and hope to see that soon.  But James is charging misuse and waste of about 5.5% of the budget for the time period charged.  As far as non-profits go, that's chump change in a business where the law requires spending significant amounts of the income.  According to what I've read from people who are legal eagles involved with non-profits, this is a fairly low amount of misuse and wastage.  And much of it, if not all, was generically approved by the lawyers.  They may have been LaPierre's bought lawyers, but they wouldn't be involved in a criminal conspiracy.

I don't know where this is going, it might just disappear once 3 November comes and goes.  We, as members; need to make sure it is cleaned up - starting with showing LaPierre the door and cleaning up and making smaller the BoD.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
max503 posted this 18 August 2020

I wonder what might be found if the same scrutiny was applied to the education unions in this country?  Or at least the Chicago Teacher's Union.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • Bud Hyett
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 August 2020

..when considering the sins of the top NRA Royals ....which most of us have known about since 1990 ....

consider that our elected Royals in the house ... have a slush fund of taxpayer money of $800,000 per year ...  in case they need toothpaste, clean sox, ...  

oh yeah, our Senate Royals have a " walking around " allowance of $1 Million ... apparently silk underwear is a requirement in higher circles ...

we understand the corruption in our government ... maybe even laughing about the absurdity of it ... but who allotted Wayne his excesses ? ... we should change Wayne and his allotters, not the NRA en toto ...

are we sure that the cream of humanity rises to the top ? ...  

not to be too depressing ... 70 per cent of people are really good people ...  but perhaps being a good person involves being too trusting ...

ken

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 17 August 2020

This is political.The attack is on the NRA with the names of leadership individuals for their actions as a part of the NRA. 

The attack should be only on the individuals. In the negotiation stage, the individuals should given an opportunity to make good their deprivations. If they choose, then the case will be submitted for a directed verdict. Remember, even Cosa Nostra dons get off with probation for a first offense. 

In all legal dealings, a cheap lawyer is a bad investment. The maneuvering before court is where this will be won. Stall this until after the election and go forth to elect pro-second amendment people for all Federal, state and local offices. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Doughty posted this 16 August 2020

After reading the indictment, I would say that it is going to take a lot of work to save the NRA.  Probably the first order of business is to get some rope and string a few guys up.  Then whether to start over again from scratch, or throw support into another existing organization?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 16 August 2020

Don't let the alleged antics of the top end officials destroy the BEST asset you have.  The NRA is more than a handful of fat cats.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
  • delmarskid
beagle6 posted this 15 August 2020

The indictment by the State of NY against the NRA, Wayne LaPierre, and three other past or present officers of the NRA is 164 pages long. If you would like to read it ( and judge for yourself the merits) you can find it at:

courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/nra-ny.pdf.

beagle6

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 15 August 2020

I was a member in a gun club for about 35 years. A couple years ago a simple audit to make sure the club's monies were being spent properly revealed over $30,000 unaccounted for. A CPA could not track the funds and the treasurer refused to cooperate so the state police were brought in with no charges so far. Some of the oldest members, myself included, walked away because apparently 300 club members see nothing wrong with the situation. So you see, it doesn't have to be a big organization for corruption to exist. For the record, I'm done with the NRA until there is a complete top end turn over. I'm just hoping the new club I'm looking into doesn't require the NRA membership.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 15 August 2020

As mentioned earlier, our club expanded the gun rights groups they could choose from to satisfy a membership requirement. Initially it was only the NRA. The list now includes the NRA, GOA and MN Gun Caucus. Maybe we need to dig into GOA a bit.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
beltfed posted this 15 August 2020

Folks!!!

I would take a Very Careful Look at Gun Owners of America.

before supporting them, I have heard it said they may be a "Trojan Horse"....

Same with Gottlieb's money maker "Second Amendmendment Foundation"

beltfed/arnie
"

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
John Alexander posted this 15 August 2020

All politicians, public figures, CEOs, or other leaders are human and thus imperfect -- just like the rest of us. Some are also corrupt -- including some we agree with.  But saying all are corrupt is unreasonably cynical.

Besides, crying "But Mom all the other kids are doing it" has never been an effective defense of misdeeds.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
max503 posted this 15 August 2020

I haven't researched it myself, but everyone seems to be in agreement that Wayne has done some bad stuff.  How bad?  I don't know.  I DO KNOW that some factions of the media exaggerate, so...I'm sticking with the NRA, for the time being at least.

Hell.  Show me one politician or public figure that doesn't have some dirt under the rug.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 15 August 2020

Personally I would like to read the complaint from the New York AG.  I am sure that it would illuminate a lot of dim and dark corners as far as the Board of Directors and Wayne LaPierre are concerned.  Just knowing the specific charges in the law suit would help me form an opinion about those people.  At the moment I am in the Ed Harris camp.  I think that this has gone on long enough and will not throw any more money down the NRA hole until I know where it is going.  If all of the allegations are true we should have very good grounds for a recovery suit of our own. 

Why don't I give them the benefit of the doubt?  There is an old saying: "Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, Shame on me."

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander
Bill2728 posted this 13 August 2020

Just a personal opinion but one of the 13 unrestricted constitutional carry states should be where the NRA headquarters are relocated to.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 13 August 2020

Mr Steakley 

I wish I could feel as you do but I trust Oliver North a lot more than Wayne LaPierre. Also I have been trying  to contact any of the board of directors or the president without going through the Farfax address. I'll talk about it when I have more time but it is darn near impossible.I think maybe Wayne wants it that way.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
MFSTEAKLEY posted this 13 August 2020

I would ask that we stick to facts and don't believe anything or everything we hear about the NRA.  Any organization as large as the NRA has people with different points of view and we need to be careful to not judge until we know the facts.  There are many on the internet that feign 2nd amendment support, but do not.  I'm sure Wayne Lapierre is not perfect, but the BOD for the NRA is an outstanding group of people who we need to trust or elect others in January.  The attacks by NY are political.  

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 11 August 2020

How many ways to skin a cat?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close