Occasional To Fully Chamber in 22 lR auto Pistol

• Last Post 11 December 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
GBertolet posted this 01 April 2018

I have a Marvel Unit 2, 22 LR kit for the 1911. I have occasion failures to go fully into battery. A light pressure on the back of the slide completes the last 1/4 to 1/8" of travel. Sometimes it is only a few thousandths from full battery, where the hammer still falls, but I get a misfire from a light hit. It happens 3-4 times out of 50 rounds. Marvel uses a Kart barrel, and I wonder if it is cut to match tolerances, and opening it up a little will help with reliability. Failures still happen after a thorough cleaning.

I had thought that maybe a Bentz finish reamer might do the trick, but I have an ejector staked on the barrel, so a thin reamer shank for a distance behind the cutter is necessiary for clearence. I don't know if a reamer is made that covers this.

Maybe someone has a better solution to this issue that doesn't require a reamer?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 01 April 2018

I'd try a heavier recoil spring and/or a different brand of ammunition first before fooling with the chamber.

In .22 rimfire, as with cast bullets in centerfires, "fit" is everything.  I expect you might have a dirty chamber and perhaps your ammo runs a bit on the large side.  I would clean the chamber well with a brush and Ed's Red or Kano Kroil, and perhaps drive a lead slug into the chamber, tap it out and measure it, then measure your ammo and compare.

In my High Standard CCI Standard Velocity groups well and seems to provide the best buy.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 01 April 2018

Two of my shooting buddies have these. Both found out they require the old 40 grain Hi-Speed ammo for several hundred rounds. Winchester Super-X or CCI Mini-Mags seem to work well. Then clean everything down to bare metal and lube slide parts with moly-based grease and work the action a while by hand burnishing the moly into the rails well. Re-clean and re-lube with a light oil wiped to a film to prevent rust.  Both are very happy with the units, just takes breaking in and keeping them clean. Also they both can shoot standard velocity loads and have perfection functioning now. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

I have a set of recoil springs for this unit, 7 to 10 lbs. The 10 lb is in it now, which is the heaviest. I am going to switch to the 8 lb to see what transpires. Maybe the slide needs more of a running start to chamber rounds. Possibly the 10 pounder doesn't allow the slide to get full rearward travel. I have been using the Super X 1300 fps ammo. I had even purchased a Cammer Hammer to help with the cycling. It fixed the stove pipes, and failures to cycle. Those issues seem to be gone.

Currently, I have the issue of the occasional round not wanting to go fully into battery. Just the last little bit. Apparently there is some interference in the chamber. Could be carbon or bullet lube. I felt that reaming it might help. I am willing to try other options. I have plenty of 70% moly that I use for airguns, that I will try on the slide rails and see also. I have never been able to get the standard velocity ammo to work reliably. Even the promo HS ammo is spotty.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 April 2018

If the cartridges will go into the clean (!) chamber with just a little finger touch, it is not the chamber. The slide is out of momentum to strip the cartridge from the magazine and close. Sometimes the lighter spring will let the slide have a little bounce off the slide stop and that helps. As an airgunner you know how picky some of these low energy guns are to get running.  

Attached Files

Just now did the moly treatment on the rails, topped off with a little Break Free lube. Anxious to try soon. My HW 35 and 97K Blue Laminate, both love that moly lube.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 11 December 2018

You didn't say if this is a new unit but I am guessing that it is - in that case perhaps you just need to break it in a bit before you expect reliable function all the time. 

Here in the PNW, I can get black-bullet 40 grain hi-speed ammo for about as good a price as I am going to get for any "Plain Jane" .22 ammo, it's a fact that this will give more impulse than just about any other.

I'd be reluctant to mess with the chamber, even if it is cut to "match" specs.  I'd save that for a last resort sort of thing.

If this kit is new, you might want to contact the maker and see what they say - I would expect them to say, "break it in good, if it still gives trouble, send it back to us."

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 11 December 2018

Ed's suggestion about using a stronger recoil spring is spot on. As a long time pistolsmith, I can assure you that this will take care of the issue. You can always go back to the lighter spring later one the kit breaks in. It will require a spring only 2 pounds heavier. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close