Progress in .25-06 No. 1

• Last Post 21 April 2017
MarkinEllensburg posted this 20 April 2017

After a bit of testing I'm getting 100 yard groups under 2” for 5 shots. Bullet is NOE 258 110 powder is IMR4227.

Group size is 1.7” Previous group was 1.6” but was not as pretty. Now I have something to work with.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 21 April 2017

MarkinEllensburg

Your bore sounds fine!  Try my bench shooting maintenance method to help you maintain a more constant bore condition for cast bullet shooting. It is simple and decreases group size: Pull a clean dry BoreSnake through twice before your shooting session, then pull it through once after each 5 shots.This maintains a relatively constant bore condition that increases accuracy potential.

Gary

Attached Files

Gary,

Would using an oversize bore snake speed up the polishing process. Maybe next size up...7mm?

I made the mistake of pulling my 30 caliber bore snake thru my 223 Remington barrel. It pulled thru, but with LOTS more effort.

reply:

Using an oversize BoreSnake creates an unnecessary risk of the snake breaking and leaving you with a very difficult problem of getting a broken Boresnake out of the bore. Use the right size BoreSnake for polishing. The right size distributes the polishing compound evenly for the job and the right size rotates better with the rifling while doing the job. 2 people have reported breaking oversize snakes to me and both needed gunsmith help to get them out. This supports my repeated recommendation when using my polishing method, ” Make no substitutions and take no shortcuts".

Using an oversize BoreSnake also damages the brass brush section of the snake by bending the brass bristles and making them much less effective when you use the same snake for the correct caliber bore, You wreck the snake for it's intended caliber doing that.

Gary

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 21 April 2017

MarkinEllensburg

Is the bottom right hit on the target a repeated first shot hit pattern with a clean when barrel firing a 5 shot group? Two of my rifles used to do that.

If it is a repeating pattern, there is a remedy for that. Just asking if that is a regular pattern? The fix is simple. After cleaning the barrel use Johnson's  Paste Wax on a fluffy bore mop and coat the inside of the barrel very lightly and don't buff. That acts as a clean fouling for the first shot and will put the first shot higher with the rest of the 4..

My bore polishing method in the Accuracy topic of this forum can also fix first shot fliers but is a lot of elbow grease.

Gary

It is not a pattern. My best guess is I have at most 250 jacketed bullets through this rifle. Now pushing close to 200 cast. When the rifle was new I cleaned the barrel with JB's after each shot for the first 20. It is super smooth, at least feels so with a tight fitting patch.

I do wonder the cause of the flier. The other group with the same load also had one. The bore wasn't cleaned before either. Both groups were with bullets that weighed the same to the tenth of a grain. However two 5 shot groups is not even close to having any statistical significance, other than this load combination has potential.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 21 April 2017

Gary,

Would using an oversize bore snake speed up the polishing process. Maybe next size up...7mm?

I made the mistake of pulling my 30 caliber bore snake thru my 223 Remington barrel. It pulled thru, but with LOTS more effort.

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg

Is the bottom right hit on the target a repeated first shot hit pattern with a clean when barrel firing a 5 shot group? Two of my rifles used to do that.

If it is a repeating pattern, there is a remedy for that. Just asking if that is a regular pattern? The fix is simple. After cleaning the barrel use Johnson's  Paste Wax on a fluffy bore mop and coat the inside of the barrel very lightly and don't buff. That acts as a clean fouling for the first shot and will put the first shot higher with the rest of the 4..

My bore polishing method in the Accuracy topic of this forum can also fix first shot fliers but is a lot of elbow grease.

Gary

Attached Files

Close