Progress In the .17 Mashburn Cast Lead Experiment

• Last Post 30 April 2019
mashburn posted this 16 April 2019

A few weeks ago I posted a discussion to the subject of shooting cast bullets in a .17 cal. centerfire rifle. This discussion created a lot of interest among viewers and I'm glad to say it is becoming a reality thanks to encouragement from readers,  and the help of David Reiss, by loaning me a new .17 caliber NOE  mold. I bought gas checks and bullet sizing equipment from NOE. I have already cast, sized and put gas checks on the ones designed to do so. The mold casts one GC bullet and one plain base bullet. I dug out some empty cases today and threw them in the case tumbler.

These cases are made from .218 Bee or 25-20-32-20. They have a lot more powder capacity that the .17 Ackley because they are blown out nearly straight with a 40 degree shoulder and only have a .120 long neck. They have nearly the same powder capacity as a .17 MKIV. In my earlier writing I had said they had necks .172 long but they are not. I hadn't looked at one of the cases in several years. Years ago I made up 100 cases that didn't have to be sized. I made the necks to where they only had enough clearance to expand enough to let the bullet out and spring back with the proper tension to reload. The problem is that years ago on a prairie dog hunt I got the empties mixed up. I'm going to try and pick some of them out of my empties if possible. I made a set of collet reloading dies for it when I built the rifle along with cartridge forming dies.

I ran through lots of different powders when I first started working up loads for jacketed bullets. IMR 4198 was the only powder that I had any luck with and the accuracy with it was outstanding with 20 and 25 gr. bullet both .Maybe some of you can help me. I've been seeing some loads in loading manuals for small capacity cartridges such as .22 Hornet using RL7 powder. The velocity isn't near as high but the pressure isn't near as high as the 4198 is. In this experiment I'm not concerned with high velocity but load density and low chamber pressure would really be welcome. I have become a RL7 fan with my big bore jacketed rifles .If anyone out there has tried this powder in small capacity cases let me know. I don't want any calculations done with a computer or calculator. I only want to hear from people with real experience. Until I get some linotype I'm not going to get real serious about working up loads. I want to alloy some hard bullets. The govt. wheel weights that I wrote about might possibly be my answer, they are pretty dad gum hard. 

It would really be fun if I could get a accurate cast load worked up for the bunny shoot. It has killed oodles of real prairie dogs so it is time to kill some paper bunnies.

I will add more as progress evolves or I hope it evolves  When I get my nerve up I will try posting some pictures of the rifle and ammo. Since I got Windows 10 I have heck doing anything. I have to upload pictures to a German site and I don't speak German. I taught myself enough German words so that I navigate it somewhat. I also photo shop the pictures with German Directions. Downloading to Ebay is pretty easy but Gunbroker is a pain in the rear. I hate to think what downloading to an unfamiliar format will be like. 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 April 2019

hi mashburn ... so glad to see progress on the 17.

forgive me but i keep thinking you could find plenty of free bullets around an old grainery ... 

i have a weird obsession about collecting/trading barrels ... one is a shiny new lilja 20 cal ... only 16 inches long  but i can figure out how to add another 1/2 inch ... if your 17 works out i may talk to you about that SuperBee reamer.  

oh, since 4198 worked best in my 218 bee, it is probably too slow for your milder cast loads.

hey, i have a few hundred mj 17 bullets i had forgotten about ...  but i think they are 0.181 and long .  i traded off all my .17 barrels, now 17 pull-offs are hard to come by, would need an 8 twist anyway.

can't wait till you post some targets.  i use * gimp * a free photoshop ... i ignore the advanced stuff, just use what i need at the time.  the main thing to remember here is to limit the pic to 1 or 2 megapixels before posting. in gimp, click on    * image *    then    * scale * then roll it down to 1 or 2 megapixel and then rename and export your smaller pic.    one minute.   well, after the first time.

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 16 April 2019

mashburn

Does your Windows 10 have a library where downloads, documents, scans and pictures can be downloaded and kept? Mine does. Then it is a simple process to select any of these images and insert it in a post or email. No need to use an outside source. But you do need a digital camera or a printer that has scanning capabilities.

R. 

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 16 April 2019

I use 2.7 of aa2 for my plain base bee loads. It shoots as well as icky 22rf.

Attached Files

Hello Ken,

I have plenty of jacketed .17 bullets. I have about five hundred rounds loaded with Hornady V-Max bullets and I think about 600-700 Vmaxs new in the boxes .I have gradually sold off most of my barrel collections. I made some tapered octogen barrels in several calibers years ago and have built some and sold most. I think I have one .22(.224) tapered octogen barrel left .I used Shilen and Douglas blanks for these. Mostly Shilen, I've had some bad experiences with Douglas barrels and none with Shilen .I have a barreled action here in .17 Mashburn and a stock that is almost inletted. I started helping my brother-in-law build one. I should say I built it not help build it. He might sell it, he hasn't even attempted to do anything to it in years. It's taking refuge in my gun safe. He's got a lot of stuff here that I started HELPING him build. It has a heavy Shilen barrel on it. It doesn't take  a very large barrel to be heavy in a .17 caliber.It has been test fired.

Thanks for the info,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Hello R. Duprez,

I have 3 digital cameras. You don't understand what is happening with this computer. No one can figure it out. I have lots of folders with stored pictures and etc. This crazy thing after you uploaded pictures you couldn't find them. The only way you could access your folder was to take at least one picture and upload it and that would give you access to your file. I've operated like this for 2-3 years. Guess what about 2 weeks ago I accidently found a way to access my stored files. I've been uploading and downloading pictures for 20 years. I think I may have solved my problem unless I forget how to read a little German

. PS-This is only on this site and it's the only site that will recognize my camera so I have no choice but to use it.

Thanks,

David

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello delmarskid,

Thanks for the reply and Info.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
mashburn posted this 17 April 2019

Ken,

I went out in the shop and drug out a bunch of targets and load sheets  for the .17. I couldn't find any targets after all the load work was finished. I found one target that was a .280 group  and lots of groups under .500 taken during load workup.. I've got one somewhere of .205 I think. I had some targets get wet several years ago, I hope it wasn't my latter .17 work. These are all jacketed bullets either .20 or 25 grain bullets. I have been keeping my load sheets and targets on file for years now. That is one of the most useful things I've ever done. I may not have a certain rifle anymore but I have any targets that I ever shot with it.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello again delmarskid.

Have you chronographed any of those loads to know what the velocity is?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 17 April 2019

David,

I can get your computer back to english, all we have to do is link up with the team viewer like we did before. It is up to you. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 17 April 2019

Hi, in reference to the bee load I don't have a living Chronograph. I know that when I am on at 50 yards I'm down a foot and a half at 150. They are supersonic with the 45g bullet.

Attached Files

delmarskid,

Thanks a bunch for the recent cast hornet info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 19 April 2019

You're welcome

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 30 April 2019

Hello to you people out there,

The .17 caliber cast rifle project is slowed somewhat to some unforeseen problems. I have solved all of the problems but one and I'm not going to describe it at the present time. I just came in from the shop a little while ago and am totally exasperated. I'm going to set it aside for a while and concentrate on working up some cast loads for the paper bunny shoot. I've got 3  32-20's & 3 30-06's and possibly one 30-30 that I want to try. I've already got loads for one of my revolvers ready to go. I probably won't get all of this accomplished but maybe I can give them all enough chance so that I can concentrate on the ones that show promise. It won't be long before I will be back on the .17 with some pictures also.

Thanks,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 April 2019

mashburn ... not to worry ....  the way any complicated problem is solved is by our sub-conscious .... luckily, it is about 4000 times smarter than our daily idiot " presence " ... you know, the one that talks too much and confuses us by interrupting with complaints about is/isnot raining, thinking about chrissy from high school, or why my dog won't tree ...

.... one of these nights about 3 am your subconscious will wake you up and tell you the simple answer and then you will then exclaim " geeze, i be real smart " ...

see? ... heck i gave up thinking years ago and could never tell any difference.

hope this helps.   ken

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 30 April 2019

When I wrote my master Thesis I had about a 134 paper napkins that I had made notes on, because I got my best ideas when the wife and I were out to dinner, or I was having lunch.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close