Question For Ed Harris

• Last Post 09 August 2018
pat i. posted this 07 August 2018

Ed have you found having a radius at the base of your plain base bullets improves accuracy? Jacketed bullets have a small radius there and Ed Doonan told me once he bumped some bullets hard enough to leave a sharp edge where the base meets the side and they didn't shoot as well as leaving a radius. Makes sense when you think about it.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 08 August 2018

I of course am not Ed, but in my 40+ years of shooting cast bullets I have found a consistent radius or bevel has little to no effect on accuracy. The testing of bevel base handgun bullets against flat base of the same design has proved this theory over and over. Even with rifle bullets I have seen no difference. Originally bevel base bullets were designed to aid in the progressive loading of handgun rounds, but many shooters found them to be quite accurate. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 08 August 2018

I ain't ED either. But my Dad hated bevel base cast bullets & so do I. Ya gotta wipe off their bases after they come out of the Lubi-Sizer. Just one more step. And they always go cocked-eyed in the Progressive.  

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah. I know all about tumble-lubing and powder coating. I tumble-lube some bullets and plan on powder coating soon or just someday.

I just hate bevel-base cast bullets. My Dad had the only flat base H&G #68 mold I ever saw. But I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 08 August 2018

Rog,

You are absolutely right about lubing bevel base bullets, but tumble lube is a great option. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 August 2018

Most of my Accurate bullet designs in both rifle and revolver are bevel-based, and I get good results with them.

I use LLA or 45-45-10 for the great majority of my loads, so having to wipe off the base is not a concern.

I gave up trying to cast "round" bases on plainbased bullets a half Century ago as an exercise in frustration.

I did use a base chamfer tool to break the wire edge on sharp bases, mostly .38 Special wadcutters and this helped.

I then found molds for H&G #50BB and #68BB never went back.

The bevel reduces "finning" of the base when a throat-diameter bullet is extruded into a smaller bore and groove diameter and also makes loading easier.

The bevel is less easily damaged in handling than a sharp corner would be.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 09 August 2018

Thanks Ed.

Attached Files

Close