Remington R-51

• Last Post 29 November 2018
R. Dupraz posted this 23 September 2017

Looking for some first hand info on the Remington generation II R-51 9mm semi auto. Any one have one?

Specifically

Does this one work?

Does it shoot to the point of aim or no?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GP Idaho posted this 24 September 2017

Richard: I have one and so does my S.I.L. We will race each other to sell you one. The pistol does have a couple of good features but way to many negatives in my opinion. Mine hits to point of aim as well as the next but of all my pistols this one is by far the most likely to slide bite me. It's got a lot of muzzle flip with +p loads. The biggest negative in my mind is it is by far the hardest pistol to tear down and reassemble when cleaning I've ever had. All of this of course is just my opinion of the pistol but like I said. I'll sell you mine. Gp

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 24 September 2017

Thanks for the info GP.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 25 September 2017

Sound advice is never to fly the "A" model of anything!

If you want a .380 ACP pistol for EDC in someplace which is legal for concealed carry the ORIGINAL model Ruger LCP, NOT the LCPII, is the best bang for the buck. I have TWO of them and they run everything!

I like the DAO trigger without the Glock/Savage thingy!  K.I.S.S. principle!

If you want a larger holster-size pistol which feeds everything and will digest hot loads without self-destructing then get a SIG P230 or Beretta M1934... I have TWO EACH of these!!! DO NOT get the P232 with powder-metal MIM parts!!!!  This advice comes from a retired former FBI-HRT who trained with the British SAS, I kinda think  he knows... 

Now  I confess that anybody who owns SIX .380 ACP pistols is probably a bit warped, but I have found these pistols 100% reliable and they WORK! 

Over the years I have shot ALL of the .32 ACP and .380 ACP pistols to death in testing for people who carried the badge and trusted their lives to them and I know just a little about this, so PLEASE trust me...Enough said....

Current Accurate designators for the heavy .380 ACP bullets are:

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • John F.
R. Dupraz posted this 25 September 2017

Thanks ED for your reply and have valued your opinion for many years. 

The search for an ideal off duty/carry pistol officially began in 1973 and has continued since. However for the last 17 yrs it has only been for the carry part. Several pistols have passed through these hands since then to include but not limited to a S&W Mod. 19 21/2" round butt .357, Colt satin nickel combat commander .45ACP, a S&W Mod. 39 9mm, a S&W 439 9mm.....

For me, there are three requirements for a carry gun. And they are reliability, effectiveness and concealability in that order. And it didn't take long to learn that the bigger and heavier the pistol  was, no matter how effective, the less I carried it. So then why carry at all?  So, the question has always been and continues to be, which one of these requirements do I compromise? And, in order to maintain a national carry permit, I still must qualify with that carry gun over my former dept.'s off duty handgun course once a year . This Is a 50 round course that goes from 3 yds out to the 25.

So presently, there is a S&W 631-1hammerless air weight that is used for qualification and a LCP that reside here. And, you are right.  The LCP does work. I like them both. But don't know if the LCP would make it though. According to the rules we must carry the gun that we qualify with.

So. In light of all the above tribe, when I first saw that Remington was introducing the new R-51, I thought that this might be something better yet. Easily concealable, effective cal. and something that would work over the qualification course. Then after reading about all the reliability problems. decided to wait and see if Remington really did fix them so that the pistol could be depended upon. But, even after all of Rem's. hoop-a-la,it sounds like not so much.

Think the pistol is pretty much a dead horse by now even after Remington's second attempt. Too bad. The R-51 looks like it could have been a dandy. 

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 25 September 2017

My 2 cents worth.

There is an article in the NRA mag this month on the new model Remington  model 51. Worth your time I think.

Was on  Active duty with the US Army for 27 years. Fired a lot of cool stuff. Worked with Delta and some other folks.

I will not carry anything less than a 9mm.  I think the .380 is just not enough gun.  I live in Minnesota and heavy winter clothes defeat a .380.  I have a nice Walther in .32ACP again not enough gun.  I love my 1911 but to heavy.  I carry everyday and I have ended up using a KelTec PF-9.  Nothing fancy, but it fires every time I ask it to.  I have had no problems with this weapon. No jams all types of ammo. I have been using a FOBUS IWBS holster.  They come small or large.  The small is perfect for most small 9mm and .380's.  I have this on me all day. Driving what ever, most comfortable rig I have found.

So there is my 2 cents.  I would like a cast bullet for practice/carry. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jon Welda

CW5 U.S. Army Ret.

608 797 0056

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 26 September 2017

Joe do you cast or do you buy your cast bullets?

Steve

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 26 September 2017

Thanks Jon for sharing your real world experience. The only kind that I consider credible.

While I don't have a 9mm right now, I think I have narrowed the search down some and see one in my immediate future again. Our annual qualification is coming right up, so hope I can make the choice before then. 

While I still have some dept. issue practice cast reloads left over yet, I don't load for the carry guns, only factory. So can't help you there. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 September 2017

hi  rd. .... in these days i tend to favor hi-cap for a carry device ... a sad comment of social degradation today ... ...  and after trying many ways to carry my globular beretta 92, i stumbled on a very satisfactory solution, at least for my purposes ... namely, highly concealed,  highly comfortable, and therefore i might actually have access to my little helper when i need it.

i have mentioned this before here , but just in case you missed it ( g ) ... i just use a spandex belly band holster, but wear it high on my chest .  it turns into a lightweight comfortable simple shoulder holster .. i figure 0.9 second slower panic high-noon draw, but on the good side it will be much faster if you are seated ( as in an automobile ) .  another nice feature it works fine with no changes for my makarov and security six 4 inch .  40 years it took me to stumble into this .. oh, mine was $25, and takes 4 seconds to strap it on in the morning .  the gun rides between my arm and my ribs ... and no one has ever noticed my large B92 with this rig, and i actually have to touch it occasionally to see if i remembered to add it to my apparel for the day .

just to add to the variables for your decision ... heh

ken

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 27 September 2017

I just couldn't wait to buy one as I have 3 original m-51's 2 in 32 and one 380. what a disappointment. Finally have it to the point that it rarely jams, it is supposed to be a 7 shot clip but if you load more than 6 you will have a failure to feed about 50% of the time with the first cartridge. When you pick it up it looks like there is plenty of room so the slide wont bite, but for some reason my hand creeps up and while I haven't been cut it has scraped the skin on hand web.  if you want to carry it better start with one in the chamber and not rely on chambering from a 7 round clip. and yes I know always have one in the chamber but still some folks don't like carrying it that way. When I first bought it I flat hated it now I am just to the point that I am not real happy with it. as it breaks in it no longer jams, but I will have to shoot a bunch more to trust it as a carry gun. in the mean time I will continue to carry my little smith 32 h&r magnum 6 shot revolver. ohh I forgot to mention taking apart and putting back together is a real fun project, my son and I finally got that damn 200 lb ( maybe a bit liter but not much ) back into the slide with the breach block. If you decide to take apart it will keep you occupied for an evening. start early as you are gona be at it for a while.  anyway you might get the impression I think there are better guns to spend your money on.

joe

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • GP Idaho
  • M3 Mitch
R. Dupraz posted this 27 September 2017

Thanks Joe for the detailed reply. Your experience with the R-51 is consistent with everything that I have been able to find across the net as well as the latest NRA evaluation of the generation two. Still feeding problems.

So, being an old washed up wheel gun shooter, I am reluctantly considering some other small 9mm autos to replace the S&W hammerless 2 inch  631-1 .38 that have proven themselves. While I still like it, for some unknown reason, that little pistol is becoming more of a challenge to control every year especially with +P.  

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 27 September 2017

Richard;  Joe said it even better. The R-51 is nearly impossible to get back together when you tear it down for cleaning. It does loosen up a bit after firing 4 or 5 hundred rounds but still, I end up totally mad at Remington every time I clean this pistol. One of the great features of our forum is the ability to warn our friends and save them the frustration that comes with buying an expensive piece of junk.  I haven't had the best luck with Remington products lately. Gp

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 September 2017

i have been drooling over the little ruger lc9s ... not the pro .... but my russian makarovs haven't jammed in 23 years , and they are built like a tank, so it kinda keeps it's place near the top of my grab-and-go fuzzies .... too bad they stopped the importing at $150 ... they are a little crude but still a real steel gun and apparently go bang upon demand.  maybe the first time it jams i will go for that ruger .

ken

Attached Files

After doing some searching and digesting on the net for the last couple of weeks, the Ruger lc9s has made the cut Ken. No, not the pro. Although I haven't had one in these mits yet. Found a new one at a pretty reasonable price not too far away. They have both. Just deciding when I can break away from this busy overloaded schedule here.

And, if I look hard enough, think I can find a fair stash of old dept. issue ball practice ammo somewhere.  

Need to visit my in-laws anyway. At least for a free lunch. Maybe.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 September 2017

I know this thread has been directed at 9MM semiautos. Now that the subject of Rugers has been breached I sense an opening. I flirted with semiautos 4-5 years and never really got comfortable. Last winter I bought 2 Ruger LCRs. I bought the 357 mag but use it with 38 special +P. Everything else is now gathering dust and I have started disposing of my 9MMs. I have found the LCR to be easier to shoot than the other snubbies I have tried.

Sorry for the intrusion

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

No need for the sorry Jim.  I've seen those Ruger LCRs and can't imagine what it would be like to shoot a full house .357 in one of those little bantam weight beasties. I still remember what that S&W M-19 2 1/2 " RB was like. And it was of course, all steel back then. Didn't batter the hand so much but the muzzle blast was something to behold. 

That little S&W 631-1 hammerless air weight 2 1/2" is 38 special only and with +P loads will bite. 

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 28 September 2017

the main problem with a carry pistol is it needs to be small enough to conceal light enough to not pull your pants off when in your pocket and last but not least have enough power to end an attack. I have found the little simi auto's don't have sights good enough to hit the side of a barn at 10 feet. the 2 inch snubby 38sp kicks enough that I flat don't enjoy shooting them so I don't practice. what ever is carried should be at least a gun you want to shoot and not something you dread firing. I would rather have a 22 or 25 in my pocket than a 1911 I left in the car because it was too big. I have a lot of choices on what to carry but mostly gravitate to my smith air lite in 22 or my smith 32 h&r. I shoot one or the other every time I go to the range, and that amounts to about once a week year round. I shoot them enough so I am sure if I have to I can hit what ever needs shooting at any reasonable distance. About the only other pistols I ever carry are 32 acp in colt, browning or a savage I got from ric in Yakima. 

I have found that my computer hates me and sometimes spells a word incorrectly just to punish me and even used the wrong word I add this to let you know it isn't my fault my computer just plays dirty tricks on me from time to time. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Scearcy posted this 28 September 2017

I bought an LCR in 22 LR also. It was supposed to be my practice gun. The weight is similar but the trigger pull on the 22 LR is much heavier so it is not a very good practice option. I find that standard 38 special loads are just fine for practice.

Jim

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 29 September 2017

Thanks for the posts on the R-51. I had been mulling it over but the mulling has ended and it's a no. I have a Charter hammerless .44 Bulldog. It stings with the 180 XTP load but is fun with cast 200s at about 700 fps. It had nice rubber grips but the came off as they were big and printed through my shirt. The wood boot grips are dinky but this isn't getting shot for the fun of it.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 09 October 2017

I just got a deal on a marked-down LCR in 9mm, I think all the 9's so far are the short barrel, concealed hammer version.  That's what mine is anyway.  Have not shot it but I would think any decent cast load that works in 9mm autos will be fine in this handy little gat.

Am I the first one on here to fool with the LCR 9mm?

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 12 November 2017

I have to add to this that I traveled a lot years night and day for years and carried a Kel tec 32. .380s had came out just at that time and like Ed said don't fly the A model. That Kel tec was a lot of work making sure lint was out of the hammer and rails were clear. That the short story, Don't take me wrong do the time and it went bang. I did Read up on the LCR and went for it . Like Richard I'm a revolver guy.  I went 38 LCR because I gained a not sure but like 4 or 5 oz. lighter revolver. That and less noise level  if I had to use it. 357 can be over the top for your keeping what left of your or our hearing. If your like me both ears sound like air hoses in them hissing and ringing 24/7. Then there the how much do you gain in a short barrel 5 shot j frame revolver in 357 over a 38 plus-P. The LCR will hold up to thousands of rounds of Plus-P rounds per ruger (8000rounds and it just got smoother and stayed tight&nbsp   The LCR shot to the sights or mine does. Hold up about a   1/8in  2mm-  with light bullet plus-P and dead on with 158 standard loads. easy fun to shoot with Plus-P loads. I love S&W J frames but I think LCR easier to shoot its just not as pretty.. I THINK?  I carry it in a inside pocket holster in my right front pocket where I can put a hand on it and hope it don't look like I have a gun. I don't know if it shows but I like this revolver and it fills the bill for me. I also know 5 rounds not much but hope I can keep my head if all goes wrong..  I have never looked to see the up or down side of the 9MM .. Can you use CLIPS? That would  Make a fast reload . You can get a lot weights of 9MM just like you can 38s????.   

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
gregg454 posted this 12 November 2017

Just thinking .. I have more problems being attacked by varmints and squirrels than people Thank God. Been thru rabies shot panels twice. Then THEY wonder why we carry . World just not safe.innocent  

M3 Mitch You might be on to something , There 9MM shot loads. Like you said Lead should be easy. Heck could try wad cutters in a revolver like that. Keep us updated. 

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 23 November 2017

The 9mm LCR does use "full moon" clips, you can shoot it without the clips, but if you do you have to eject the empties with a pen or similar instrument. 

Good point that shot loads are available.  "Dutch" loading a revolver is somewhat controversial - you have to make sure the shot load will really come up and fire first, and then you have only 4 "ball" rounds left.  5 rounds is not a lot and I am not certain a speedloader has been built for these.

The 9mm, since it uses less powder than a 38 Special for the same level of velocity, apparently kicks a bit less.  That and with such a short gat, the shorter cartridge makes sense to me, to make better use of the powder gas expansion.

I will post up when I shoot it.  That may be some time, with things going on at work and around home.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 22 March 2018

A recent issue of American Rifleman has an article by Wiley Clapp on the more recent Remington R-51, has a good description of how the "retarded blowback" action works.  Mr. Clapp wrote that Remington has gotten their act together on more recent production. 

I know most gun-zines do try to say something positive about advertisers.  At the same time Mr. Clapp has been in the biz for a long time and I don't think he would write up an outright dishonest article.

Thoughts?

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 22 March 2018

Maybe so, but as I remember he did have problems with the magazines which is a big "0" for any potential self defense auto.

Personally, I'll stick with my Ruger LC9s. Left the starting gate running and is still at it after 1000 + rounds. 

R. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 22 March 2018

My shooting partner bought the first one he saw. It has been back to Remington THREE times, new magazines etc. it still misfires or will not feed a complete magazine. FWIW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
R. Dupraz posted this 22 March 2018

Found it rather interesting that Mr. Clap reported that Remington had gotten it's act together but found it necessary to get replacement magazines. . 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Brodie posted this 22 March 2018

There are too many good 9mm autos out there to bother with that  Remington.  I have yet to hear anything good about the model 51 either in these pages or anywhere that Remington was not an advertiser.  When they get it together maybe, but as of now I will stick to the proven weapons.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 23 March 2018

The crap that has been going on at Remington is both a tragedy and an outrage.  I have so many good old Remington rifles, M700s, old .22s, a Model 8 in .35 Remington, others I can't remember right now.  The problems with some M700 safeties is bad, but the company's "shuck and jive" response was much worse.  Like Clinton's indiscretions, the crime is bad enough but the lying about it afterwards is much worse.

I guess the new R-51 is essentially junk.  You are right, there are all sorts of 9's out there that are highly reliable, no real reason to place a bet on this dark horse, so to speak. No doubt the LC9 is a much better gat.

I have yet to shoot my LCP 9mm.  I have heard the DA pull on these DAO revolvers is quite good.  A lot of guys tend to think that a snub is only good for "across the card table" ranges, but, I have found that if I really concentrate on the front sight, and get a good surprise break on the trigger, decent accuracy can be had out to 25, 50, or more yards. 

Sorry to sound like an old codger ranting.  But there is no excuse to build an unreliable gun and put it on the market.  Far better to keep the damn thing under wraps till you get the bugs out, and if you can't ever get the bugs out, don't build any for sale then. 

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 29 November 2018

I now need to add I bit to the r-51 discussion. My pistol has finally broken in to the point that it functions each and every time I pull the trigger. I did send it back to Remington and they sent it back and didnt really tell me anything they did to it. Since I got it back I have shot around 500 rounds of factory, and handloads of weights from 100 gr. to 147 without a hitch. now does that mean I would recommend anyone spend their money on it?? probably not, but it just looks and feels so good it is hard to pass up. At one time I was ready to put it in the back of the safe and try to forget I had spent money on it but I have become attached to it. joe

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
Close