Remington R51

• Last Post 11 June 2020
beagle6 posted this 07 June 2020

How can you tell the difference between a Remington R51 and and generation 2 R51. The original had a lot of problems but I believe the 2nd generation had them solved. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John F. posted this 08 June 2020

"but I believe the 2nd generation had them solved,"

I would very seriously research the reliability and also the warranty support/repair

availability on these before buying one.  I could tell you chapter and verse on the

hideous quality control and warranty support coming out of Remington these past

few years... but suffice it to say I will never willingly buy another new Remington firearm.

And any used ones will be inspected very carefully indeed.  If you want to see a horror

show, just take a Hawkeye bore scope into a gun shop and look at some of the garbage

they pawn off as "barrels."  

BTW, in the distant past, I had 2 of the originals in minty condition.  Gorgeous, sleek elegant...

and total jam-0-mattics, with good ammo in their original, excellent condition magazines.

There's a reason why they only made about 60,000 of the original Remington 51's,

vs. Colt's ~670,000 1903/1908 .32 & .380 pocket automatics.   But, that's another story

for another day...

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

I hope this helps,

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
beagle6 posted this 08 June 2020

Thanks John. I appreciate your taking the time to keep out of trouble.

beagle

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 08 June 2020

John. Meant to say keep me out of trouble.

beagle

Attached Files

John F. posted this 08 June 2020

My pleasure!  I wouldn't want anyone to be victimized by Remington

like I and some friends have been, on multiple occasions!

John

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 09 June 2020

I am very much in agreement with what John F. has to say about the R 51s and the Remington products being produced today. I have some very fine and accurate rifles produced by the company in years gone by but like John I will never again buy another. I bought the Gen2 R 51 just after the reintroduction and can say that it has very few redeeming features  I feel a long winded rant coming on so I better just stop here but save the money and frustration and say NO to the new Remington and in particularly the R 51 pistol. Gp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
JimmyDee posted this 09 June 2020

IIRC, the original was made in North Carolina and the gen 2 is made in Alabama.

Initially, the R51 had the manufacturing location on the frame; I'm not sure about the most recent production.

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 09 June 2020

With so many proven 380s out there, why would anyone bet their life on this POS ?

My $160 Taurus Spectrum has pumped out 300+ rounds with zero issues. It was cheap cause it was a blue and white one.

I'd far rather have a 1922 FN 380 than the R51.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • John F.
beagle6 posted this 09 June 2020

I was interested because it is single action and fairly concealable. I do not like double action only pocket pistols.I have a 50 year love affair with my 1911 but it sure is hard to hide in the summer.

beagle6

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 09 June 2020

beagle6  My favorite summer time carry pistol is the little Ruger LCP. They come with a simple pocket holster and are so comfortable to carry that you could forget they are in your pocket.  These are made for self defense not target shooting. The trigger is very heavy and takes a little getting used to but makes the LCP safe to pocket carry without a safety Mine (a 380) gobbles up the Lee TL356-95-RF powder coated without complaint. Gp

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 09 June 2020

If you like single action pocket pistols, the Sig P238 is hard to beat and very accurate. Kinda pricey though. It's an easy transition for a 1911 shooter and mine (and my wife's) also functions well with the Lee TL-356-95-RF.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 09 June 2020

While thinking about single action pocket, or at least easy to conceal, pistols, in a burst of nostalgia I pulled out my 1969 SHOOTERS BIBLE. A Star Starfire 380 For $69.95.A  Bernadelli Model 60 for $59.95.A LLama Model IIIA for $ 52.50.All in 380. Both the Spanish and Italians made good pistols. Back then everyone did.A lot of crap out there today. Think I'll try to find one of the above. Thanks to all for your help.

beagle6

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 10 June 2020

i bought one and was very unhappy with it when i first got it. after putting a couple hundred rounds through it all problems stopped. At first there were feeding problems with just about every type of ammo.  Now i must admit i really like the Remington M-51. it no longer jams ever it has been 100 percent reliable. I paid a higher price than they go for now, it is a fine shooter and just looks and feels right. not telling you to go out and buy one but now that i have it broken in i really trust it as a carry pistol. joe

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 June 2020

Another vote for the Ruger LCP 380 for all the reasons that GP Idaho wrote.

As well as the Ruger LC9S which also runs with cast.

They are both  accurate within their  capabilities and work flawlessly.

R. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 June 2020

i lust after the Ruger LC9S ... but the version with the safety ... ( belt and suspenders ) ...

but my old all-steel Russian Makarov in 9mm Makarov .... just won't quit ... even with ++P loads ( in good brass )  ...and although i keep looking, so far i haven't found even one little piece of plastic in it !! ...

but if you want something pretty to show off, check out that little Sig 380 ... oh my !! ...

ken

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 11 June 2020

Ken: I can see how one might become attached to a gun that just keeps on going no matter what it's fed. (pardon the thread drift guys) I recently purchased another eastern bloc pistol, the 7.62X25  Tokarov  No plastic found there either.. These handguns look a little clunky to the western eye but I was a little surprised to find I really like both the pistol and the rounds it fires. Both the Lee Tl314-90-SWC and the 311-93-1R sized to the barrel (.312) work very well over HP-38.  Gp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Boschloper posted this 11 June 2020

My vote is for the Sig P238.  I have had mine for about 6 years and it just works.  Controls are very 1911'ish except you can rack the slide with the safety on. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
Close