rolling block 32 wcf

• Last Post 03 February 2018
loophole posted this 01 February 2018

A few days ago ya'll were good enough to help me identify a rolling block I purchased from Merz Antique Fire arms.  It was advertised as a 32 rimfire.  I wanted to convert it to 32 wcf.

After a through cleaning, closer inspection, internet research, and advice from this forum I determined that I have a no. 1-1/2 originally chambered for 32 rimfire long.  The rifle already has been converted to 32 wcf.  Apparently this was done years ago by a very competent gunsmith.  A new Starline case and  rounds loaded with .313 dia cast bullets in new cases chamber perfectly.  The loaded rounds fire as they should.  Unfortunately, I still have a problem.

I have a new Uberti Peacemaker from Cimarron and a new condition Mod 53 Winchester (Browning/Mikuru) in this calibre.  Both shoot fine and cases fired in either fit in the other before full length resizing.

Cases fired in both these guns will not fit in the rolling block.  Even after full length resizing in  a Lee die they still get too tight to chamber about 1/4" before the block closes. A light whack with a wooden hammer on the block forces the case into the chamber, but it takes another whack to unchamber the case.

I rented a reamer from Elk Ridge and carefully recut the chamber.  This reamer is advertised to cut a SAMMI minimum spec chamber. It hardly seemed to cut anything and the chamber is still too small to take a full length resized case. Headspace is correct.

I rented the only reamer Elk Ridge has and I am reluctant to rent another one until I know I will not have the same problem.  Is there any way to polish out the chamber  without messing it up?

I have tried measuring the fired cases with a good caliper and it appears the cases fired in  the other guns are about .001" larger than those fired in the roller. I looked up the SAMMI specs and it appears the new chamber does conform, while cases fired in the other guns are about .001" too big.  I would like to use the same cases in all these guns.

Any help appreciated.

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 01 February 2018

That doesn't sound like a problem to me! I love 32/20's. Especially my Browning Mod 53.

Attached Files

I may buy a couple hundred Starline nickle cases and use them only in the roller.

The more I shoot the 32 wcf's the more I love them.  The Uberti 7-1/2" bbl has become my favorite revolver. 

I need some warm weather to get to the range and see what the roller will do for group.  

Steve K.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 February 2018

one other option is to use a sizer that makes the cases fit your tighter chamber ... quite possibly a  simple " ring " type sizer ... that has a narrow ring that sizes only a half inch or so just in front of the rim ; USUALLY that is where the sticky section occurs.  possibly a bullet sizer die for the 9mm luger would do the job ; if not pm me i might have something in a junk box ... or just make a simple button sizer; does a new case fit ok ?? 

usually a " tight " chamber is desireable from the accuracy standpoint .

ken

Attached Files

I see there was more to the message that didn't come through the computer this morning. I too own a "minimum" spec reamer. However the Browning and Italian guns are cut to MAXIMUM specifications. Lee dies are made for use in the modern maximum chambers. The difference is the shoulder on the modern chambers have the shoulder much farther forward than minimum specifications, it is almost never diameter ahead of the rim.

I keep brass separate for my Remington RB #2 in 32/20 and my Contender together as they both have minimum chambers. All the rest of the Colts, S&W's and Savages and Marlin will work with standard modern dies.

The quick and dirty way is grind off the bottom of the Lee sizing die until it will push the shoulder back to minimum spec's.

Attached Files

Ken, I believe that Rick has given us the answer to the problem.  My measurements indicate that the case sticks because the neck or shoulder is too big.

Rick, I'm going to grind off the Lee die to make the neck shorter.  I had to do this in my groundhog hunting days with a tight-chambered wildcat Swift.

This site is difinitely worth the price of admission.

Thanks for your help.

Steve K

Attached Files

Case on the left is from my Browning 53 and the right is from the #2 RB I converted and rechambered with a minimum reamer.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 02 February 2018

I haven't learned to post pics.  I don't have fired cases from the 53, but cases fired in the Uberti have a distinct shoulder, just like new cases.  Cases fired in the minimum chamber roller look just like new cases also; they are visually indistinguishable.  Midway is shipping me 200 Starline cases which I will use only in the roller.

Thanks again for you'lls help.

Steve K 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 February 2018

in my wasted youth my friend had a near-mint w92 in 32-20 ... we shot it a lot .... remember some great bunny hunts with it ....  hollow point head shots and the skinning was half done already ... mostly 1204 or unique .... 3118 or 311419 ... i think .

ken

Attached Files

Close