Ruger M77-.357-cast bullet candidate?

• Last Post 14 August 2017
  • Topic Is Solved
David R. posted this 07 August 2017

I have long been intrigued with the idea of a carbine chambered for .357 magnum. I'm toying with the idea of a Ruger M77-357. I would want it for casual target, serious plinking and possibly some dear hunting in Virginia. I don't see myself attempting shots on game further than 150 yards at the most.  My question is: this gun has a 1:16" rate of twist. Will this stabilize heavy cast bullets? I know precious little about rifles. I'm having good success with my cast bullet hand loads in my GP100. Thanx in advance. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 07 August 2017

I have a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen.  1:16 unfortunately.    It WILL stabilize up to 220 or 240 gr bullets but not the 260 and higher.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 August 2017

for a hunting rifle feeding and extraction reliability is very important ... so i would be concerned about converting the ruger 77 to a 357 mag .  for a single shot maybe ...

what i would do is go to a 358 winchester and if necessary screw on a new barrel in the twist you want. ... and as light and short as you want ...  try green mountain barrels ... they are making decent barrels now .

the cute little ruger 77-44 is a thought but the magazine probably won't hold the longer bullets .

i am a big fan of the r77 ... lots of shooters want ruger to bring them back ...

ken

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 07 August 2017

358 win !!!  yes !!!

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 07 August 2017

I have a Ruger 77/357 and have a couple of heavy bullets that work for me.  First, the Noe 360-180 WFN and then for even more thump I load the Noe 360-200-FP the RCBS clone. I have the RG2 Mould with flat point, hollow point and cup point pins. In the Ruger the 200s have to be loaded in 38spl brass if you want them to feed from the magazine. In my long throated 357 Handi you can use brass as long as 360 Dan Wesson. Great bullet. Gp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • David R.
M3 Mitch posted this 07 August 2017

I think the original post is about the factory produced small M77 chambered in .357 Mag, not about converting a "full size" M77 to .357 Mag (which, I agree, would be difficult, and just about nuts - yeah, rebarrel to .358 Win and be happy if that's what you want). When the M77 first came out, short action only, it was offered in .358, along with .243, .308, and of course .284.  In some ways I like the original version best, really.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • David R.
Brodie posted this 08 August 2017

I too much prefer the original version of the Ruger M77.  I have one in 7x57M and it is one of my favorite rifles. Ruger did chamber a rotary magazine bolt action in .357 magnum .  I personally have never seen or had my hands on one, but it should be a fun little rifle if the magazine will let you load heavy enough bullets.  I have heard that that is a problem with the .44 magnum version.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 August 2017

If you want a rifle with .358 Win. ballistics for cast bullets why not consider the 9.3x57 Mauser .  Simpson LTD. has them by the bunch both with the Mode;l 98 Mauser action and the M96 Mauser.  Yeah they are used, but what the heck they are certainly cheap enough.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 August 2017

I had a 9.3x57. It was a real thumper and extremely easy to load for. I wrote a brief article for TFS 6-8 years ago.

Jim

Attached Files

David R. posted this 08 August 2017

Thanx GP, Local Cabella's has one new for better than what I'm seeing used on GunBroker.com. I'm thinking that I'll go for it. Speaking with a fellow in the Gun Library he thought that it was part of an inventory purchased from a FFL going out of business. That NOE mold is one that I'm looking at, glad to learn that it works with this gun. What sort of accuracy are you getting with yours? 

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 08 August 2017

David: I doubt that you would win any matches with a 77/357 but they are a great plinking knock around rifle. I do believe if you hunt that they would be capable of deer sized game up to 100yrds.+ I don't think Ruger is building them at the moment so if you want one this would be the time to purchase one. I got mine at a local pawn and paid near new price. I haven't loaded the 200gr. Noe very heavy with powder yet, I'm still feeling out the 200gr.bullet in 38spl cases. To fit the Magazine you have to seat the 200s as deep as you can and still use the crimp groove. So far a little over 4gr of Bullseye hits clays out to 80-100yrds. easy enough and recoil is very light so I'm moving up the charge next time I take it out. Better get one and join the fun. Gp

Attached Files

David R. posted this 09 August 2017

After sleeping on it, I'm thinking that I may hold off. For me, each gun is a relationship of sorts. I'm crazy busy right now and have neglected the guns that I have. I've got plenty of work to do sorting out my .357, .32 Magnum and 22-250 rounds. I do very much appreciate folks taking time to read my post and offering their insights. This seems to be a great group...(so to speak) 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Brodie posted this 09 August 2017

David,

Thank you very much for posting this thread.  It was enjoyable to read and comment on.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
BigMan54 posted this 14 August 2017

I used to load the SAECO #395 in the little MARLIN 18 1/2" carbine. It's a 200gr GC with the crimping groove in the right place for revolver loads. Used a heavy charge of IMR4227.  Not a load you'd wanna touch off in a 4" Model 19. Although a good bullet for RAMS out of a 10" T/C .357 MAX.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Close