Success with a 40/50 Sharps Straight, at last!

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 29 January 2018
RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2018

My first made to order rifle was a C. Sharps Arms Model 1885 in 40/50 I ordered in 2009. I have been loading for it, cussing it, putting it away, getting it out again,  since then. Never could get it to shoot smokeless, black, synthetic or any other powders with bullets from 265 to 400 grains. Since I was heavy into Military Rifle CBA benchrest matches, I only got to play with this rifle a couple of months in the fall after benchrest season. Today I got my first sub-MOA ten shot group with a KT-6 Weaver scope.

The break threw came when I talked to a friend of the designer for the reamers; all of the .40's were made to shoot paper patched pure lead bullets with black powder. Even though I thought I had the bullet seated far enough out of the case, it was just in a section with the lands removed. By doing a chamber cast I found out It needs to be seated another 3/8" forward, just short of the lands.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beltfed posted this 29 January 2018

Ric,

Good Job. Seat out for better concentricity on the lands.

10 shots in that group, I presume?

Twist of barrel, and Bullet length?

Velocity?

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 29 January 2018

Duh, you already said its a 10 shot group

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 29 January 2018

Good group! I have a Shiloh Sharps in 40-50 BN. I made a couple of fitted cases with a 300 gr. PB cast about 8 BHN with SR 4759 to get mine to shoot well. The smaller 40's can sure be finicky.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 January 2018

... kens rule #1  ... always bed a new rifle before wasting money trying for accuracy

... kens rule #2 .....always do a chamber cast before buying molds and dies that won't work .. sometimes if a used gun it's not even the right cartridge .

.. anybody wanna buy a box of molds and dies i  bought after somehow ignoring my own rules ?? ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2018

Twist is 1 in 18, bullet length is 0.965". It shot the SEACO 400 grain bullet point on, just not close to each other! Twenty four grains of 4198 is 1450 f/s, but have not chronographed the 23.0 grains. Amazingly neither SR4759 or IMR4227 would shoot into less than 2 inches. Nor Unique, nor 2400, nor H4895, nor anything else. Lil-Gun made an excellent 14 inch pattern.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 29 January 2018

how about 2F, or 3F BP?

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 29 January 2018

I had a 40-1 7/8 Sharps Hepburn offhand rifle that shot amazing 200 yard groups (10 shots<4") with boughten 41 pistol bullets. It shot not much better with rifle bullets, iron sights of course. The guys wouldn't let me put scope blocks on it.

The legend was that 40 cal rifles recoiled a lot, mine did. Traded it for a Peterson and a Schoyen,  Ballard rifles, 2 for 1. The Peterson was 38-55, the Schoyen 32-40, neither great guns. The Peterson had a bad looking barrel, was the most accurate offhand rifle I ever shot. Where are these guns now?  I saw a guy blow up a Ballard at WNYSS, went home and sold the ballards.

joe b.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
Close