Want to try a heavier bullet in my 9mm using a Lee 6 cav boolit

• Last Post 22 January 2018
afish4570 posted this 22 January 2018

Presently using the 120 gr. TC Lee 6 cav.mold for IDPA.   Thinking of using a 130 to 147 gr. boolit but Lee doesn't list any heavier  than 125 gr.  Anyone using the 38/357 moulds listed for 9mm??

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 22 January 2018

Most .357 molds are going to cast to big for 9mm and you would have chambering issues. But there are lots of good heavier 9mm molds. NOE, Accurate & Arsenal all have good designs and will cut them to drop .355"-.356". 

With that said there are some .357 molds that you can size down to .355. However most experience has taught me to start with a mold that drops the CB within .001" for best results. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 22 January 2018

afish4570

The Lee 358-140 SWC is a good candidate in the weight range you list. That bullet's SWC nose is a truncated cone and the bullet base is beveled. You may or may not need to size this bullet, try a dummy load and check, but even if it casts a full .358 that doesn't leave a huge sizing job and the bevel base sizes well, Sure you will have to find the LOA that will feed in your firearm but that is very normal for truncated cone SWC bullets. It will work out. I'd cast them in BHN15 Hardball or #2 alloy as you need the alloy strength for 9mm loads that will function your firearm.

There are other shooters here that use this Lee bullet in 9mm and I hope they chime in for you. I've read posts about finding the LOA with this bullet in 9mm. They worked it out.

If you get this bullet the largest diameter that will function,  and the LOA that will function with a charge that is just powerful enough to cycle your firearm reliably, you will have a winner just by following those basics. Those basics are just normal for cast bullets and nothing new. If you do the basics well, your pistol will shoot better with these Lee bullets than with factory ammo.

The Lee 358-140 SWC is available in BOTH 2 and 6 cavity versions and neither one is very pricey:

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Lee+358-140+SWC&userItemsPerPage=48

Shop around too you may do better than MidwayUSA.

NOTE:  because this bullet is flat nosed and has a flat and bevel base, it can be sized nose or base first through the Lee Lube and Size. Bevel bases size fine base first and the most you will have to do is size and tumble lube these bullets once before you load them after you determine your fit and functional load. I'd recommend Whites Deluxe 45:45:10 tumble lube if you haven't tried it. If you warm the lube and bullets first before tumbling, they dry clear and non-tacky in 1 minute and ready to load.

Gary

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 22 January 2018

Have you slugged the bore, had a CZ 85 that slugged .357.  Might not need to size to .355 or .356 if larger bullets will chamber.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 22 January 2018

Check out the NOE 9mm Molds. There are variety of designs and diameters up to 155 grains and .359" diameters. The lyman Cast Bullet loading manual lists loads for the 147 grain 9mm cast bullet. As has already been posted, know the size off the throat and size to that diameter. And do an internet search for heavy bullets in the 9mm if you want to go heavier  yet. I found some there when developing loads for a Ruger LC9s. 

The throat on that Ruger measures .358" and it shoots and funcrtions wonderfully with no leading when using the NOE 358-128-SWC BB PB truncated cone and sized to .3585". Same as I size for my 38's and .357's. This mold drops them at 130 grains with my alloy. 

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 22 January 2018

NOE's 147, truncated nose bullet is designed to fit  the SAAMI 9mm Luger throat. It comes in, up to 5 cav.

Frank

Attached Files

Close