Wanted To Buy Or Trade For-6.5 Jap Bolt Or Bolt Parts

• Last Post 18 May 2019
mashburn posted this 12 May 2019

Hello Out There,

Yes I know it's a unusual piece, but I need a 6.5 Jap bolt or bolt parts badly. I have several 7.7 bolts and parts but not a 6.5. I got a hold of a lot of 6.5 jap rifles and carbines years ago and sold most of them but I have two little carbines with excellent bores that are missing bolts. If you don't have one but know of someone who does please let me know.

For added interest all of this Jap stuff came from my daughter-in-laws uncle who was a Secret Service Agent who had the privilege  of guarding President Regan. After he got older and couldn't run as fast or jump as high, he was  transferred  to the Texas Hill Country to guard Lady Byrd Johnson. And that is where he retired and stayed until his death. I have shot a lot of 38+P secret service issue ammo thanks to him.

Help me out and find a 6.5 bolt please,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 May 2019

well, you might buy this one :

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/499700

or, 60 years ago you could have bot a whole rifle for $13.50 through the sears catalog.

if you get one shooting, i might challenge you to an iron sight match ... your jap 6.5 against my swede 6.5 ... bragging rights !!

ken

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 12 May 2019

Hello Ken,

I'm aware of the gunparts bolts, but I'm always looking for a cheaper one. And by the way gunparts shows that the bolt is out of stock. I've got a 6.5 action laying around here somewhere that I put a 03 springfield bolt in. It made a nice looking action. Boy those were the days when you could buy old rifles for peanuts but I didn't have many peanuts in those days. I once bought two old service rifles and 500 rounds of ammo for 25 dollars, However they sent it Mistleto Express and the shipping was about 30 dolars and I had to drive 30 miles to pick it up. That was in 1963.I bought it from Century Arms .When I was talking about the old Secret Service fellow, you can't believe all of the jap rifles and jap conversions that we picked up when he passed away. Here is an example of one particular rifle. He took a 7.7 Jap rifle, set the barrel back leaving the front part of the chamber which is exactly the same as a 7.62X39. It took a little precise measuring to set the barrel back and rethread and wind up with a precise 7.62X39 chamber. The only thing wrong was that he didn't do anything to the bolt face and it extracted fine but the empty would fall off the instant it cleared the back of the chamber. If you worked the bolt fast it would eject MOST of the time. The chamber was perfect though , no bulging  in front of the case head or anything. My brain dwells on a lot of firearm stuff but I can't figure out why you would discover that a 7.62X39 was identical to a 7.7 Jap .We got a lot of nice 6.5 conversions. Sometimes I wish I had kept all of them.

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 18 May 2019

I forget the supplier, but back in 1987 if you bought three cases of cheep 6.5 Jap ammo they would throw in a 6.5 Jap rifle for free.

No one wanted 6.5 Jap rifles, then.  Give me a deal like that now, and see what I would do.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 18 May 2019

Hello Millelacs,

Boy, those were the good ole days. Back when I was young, back in the early 60's rifles like the japs were all that I could afford to experiment with. I've had some nice sporters built on jap actions, the 6.5 actions especially. I had a bunch still around here until I sold most of them. I have a little 6.5 carbine laying around here waiting on something to do. It has mint rifling and bore but is missing the bolt. If I can find a bolt cheap enough I plan on restocking it while I'm still on top of God's  Green Earth.

Thanks for your reply and remarks.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close