What is it?

• Last Post 24 March 2020
David Reiss posted this 23 March 2020

What is it?

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fitzpatrick posted this 23 March 2020

its a set of swedge blocks that go in a die body I have one in .357  they are made by herter's 

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 23 March 2020

Ok, what is it worth? I got it in a lot of reloading tools. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 23 March 2020

to make use of them you also need a core mould or the right size lead wire ,I have never been able to make a decent bullet with mine, and that might just be me not knowing how to use them properly. value would greatly depend on need 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 March 2020

You are missing the body of the die. Die body threads into the press, insert that forming die from the bottom and taper pin goes thru the die body and locks it in place. Punch goes into the shellholder slot of the ram. Balance the unformed slug on the ram and squeeze it up into the die. Lower ram and knock out pin, forming die falls out the bottom. Separate them and you have a swaged bullet. However I have never know anyone to make one work very well. Ric

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 23 March 2020

A friend tried one of those, it was in 38 caliber. Even with pure lead slugs it was impossible to get enough force in a regular press to fully form the bullet.There is no bleed hole like a regular swage die, so the slugs or cut wire have to be exact weight. The use of any alloyed lead was of course out of the question.The force needed for a 44 would be higher.

Look in the goody box for the body the die fits in, the T shaped pin and punch. 

If you had a hydraulic press you might get it to work.

Something to do while quarantined.

Steve

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 March 2020

this thing can't possibly work ... so i will bid $17 shipped .. pm me if .  gotta be worth that for grins ...  put it with my other Herter's stuff that didn't work.  but i kept buying.

my wasp waist bullets and 357 magnum, 16 ounce derringer and my 20 gauge universal shotshell loader  ... dang i loved Herters ... 

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Eutectic posted this 24 March 2020

Hey Ken,

There is an article brewing here. Herter's non-working stuff for the FS?

It was hard to tell the best stuff from the BS, it was all 'Model Perfect' in George Herter's catalog. I had no trouble with his powders primers and shotshell wads in the 60's. He made my lawn mowing money go a long way and the stuff was delivered to our door. Bill had Herter's presses, they were built like tanks and maybe they were cast of melted down Tiger Tanks by Krupp.

Was George Herter the idea man for all the stuff?

I miss Herter's.

Steve

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 24 March 2020

Ken, you can have it for $15 shipped. 

Attached Files

kootne posted this 24 March 2020

Ain't nothin' anywhere any better than a "George Leonard Herter's Number 1, Mark Ten, Guide Model Perfect".

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close