Where are the mold makers for a competitive 22 bullet

• Last Post 11 April 2020
John Alexander posted this 05 March 2020

As far as I know, there is only one 22 caliber mold design from any of our major mold makers that can win a CBA match if it includes a 200 yard stage.  That bullet is the NOE 227-79-SP which has the potential for excellent accuracy as well as a ballistic coefficient that is competitive with the usual 30 caliber competition at 200 yards. NOE's 225-72-RN can win at 100 yards but is at a serious disadvantage at 200 if there is much wind.

The market for such a bullet isn't large so it isn't surprising that other major mold makers only offer short stubby 22 molds that will work in the usual 14 inch twists but are suitable only for plinking and small game.

Many of our custom mold makers either can't make quality molds in small calibers with good BCs or don't find it worthwhile.

Does anyone know of a custom mold maker capable of making such a 22 caliber bullet mold.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 05 March 2020

So are you saying that NOE won't make the bullet you want? I know Accurate doesn't make small caliber bullets, but I sure thought Al would. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
John Alexander posted this 05 March 2020

No, I am not saying that.  Al and I worked together to make my design for 227-80 SP a reality.  He has also been completely cooperative on other issues.  I hope to work with Al on another design in the future.  We are lucky to have NOE serving us.

I have had requests from other shooters about sources for 22 bullet molds and am trying to see if there are others out there. 

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
45 2.1 posted this 05 March 2020

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-227-65-gc-nato-6cav/

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
John Alexander posted this 06 March 2020

not all the mold makers can make needle-pointy bullets , because of the " machinery ".

What amazes me is that even some of them can do it when lath boring as Veral Smith of LBT has been doing for forty years.

My NOE pointy bullets can draw blood if you make the mistake of pushing on them too hard -- amazing.

It is understandable that some maker have a minimum caliber and a minimum melplat but pointy bullets are best for BC and it's more important for small bores.

John

PS -- Does anyone know if Veral Smith is back in production?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
David Reiss posted this 06 March 2020

Besides Al at NOE, I think the only other US option would be LBT.

MP in Slovakia or C.E. in Australia would be the only other two. Of course Lee will make about anything custom for a price, but NOE would be my number one choice because of his ability, quality and ease of ordering. 

I am not sure why Accurate or Mountain don't do smaller caliber molds, but it may have to do with the type of machining they do. I am sure Ed Harris or someone may know.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 06 March 2020

https://brooksmoulds.com/

The website shows .22 cal molds. We recently ordered a .25 mold.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 March 2020

Thanks to all for the information.  I will pass it on to the shooter who was hoping to find another such bullet.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 March 2020

... not all the mold makers can make needle-pointy bullets , because of the " machinery ".

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 March 2020

I have the heaviest 22 Cal bullet he offered at time. Shoots really well if sized correctly (rifling engraved when chambered). I am thinking he stated he could not make 22 Cal much heavier.

I really like his designs...perfect when shallow taper bumping (less than .5 degree per side).

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 March 2020

Maybe Al can duplicate a Veral mould?

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 11 March 2020

I didn't realize that there was such a dearth of 22 molds till I went searching. NOE wins hands down. I thought that Accurate Molds would help but he doesn't list any, but they do a lot of custom work. Has any body tried them?

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 11 March 2020

I didn't realize that there was such a dearth of 22 molds till I went searching. NOE wins hands down. I thought that Accurate Molds would help but he doesn't list any, but they do a lot of custom work. Has any body tried them?

Many of us use Accurate molds, Ed Harris has an extensive collection of them which he often mentions in his articles and forum posts. I have somewhere close to 25 Accurate molds and they are on par with all the other mold makes such as NOE & LBT. However I don't think Accurate will make smaller caliber molds as I stated earlier. Still waiting on Ed to chime in as he knows Tom at Accurate very well. 

Attached Files

David: When I looked at the accurate catalog, page one only had 1 22 mold. I have 2 molds from accurate and I like his work. Merely expressing my surprise that more choices don't exist.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 11 March 2020

Accurate's website says 7mm is smallest he makes and that with limitations.  Also must have a melplat of at least 0.18".

John

Attached Files

OK, this begs the question: Is the burr,reamer,thing, too fragil ?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 March 2020

Accurate makes their molds by lathe boring.  Big holes are easier than little holes, although LBT and others have been lathe boring pointed 22 bullet molds for forty years.

John

Attached Files

shootzem6.5 posted this 11 April 2020

There`s a post on Veral Smith/LBT at the Cast Boolits website. The thread should be; Casting and Loading/Molds and maintenance/Veral Smith/post#9. Theres a response there for LBT, posted 3/18/2020 and a statement that Veral is a sponsor for Greybeard Outdoors.com. Go to that site, somewhere there i read a recent response and apology by Veral himself for his absence and return. Hope this helps (I may not be right, but i`m sure). John

Attached Files

Close