WTB 33 Winchester (WCF) dies

• Last Post 6 days ago
  • Topic Is Solved
ALYMAN#1 posted this 07 June 2020

Would like to buy set of dies for 33 Winchester to load a few rounds for a friend with a rifle he inherited from a family member and has never shot. Believe Lee's dies will work as well as any.  Most sources show discontinued for the dies including Lee.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance   Al

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ten-mile posted this 08 June 2020

PM sent.  I have had a .33 since 1962.  The Lyman 338320 is the mould you want.  I have both solid and hollow point versions.  NOE has a close copy of it plus another design that would be even better on game.

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 09 June 2020

Thanks for reply - responded to PM.  Hopefully we can work something out.  I hate to see any great rifle lie idle for years.

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 4 weeks ago

Have dies on order to load the cast bullet I have available.  Thanks to input from ten-mile I went looking again and found individual items, plus his invaluable input on getting cases made, should be able to finish this project.

Thanks again

Al 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 4 weeks ago

...i haven't paid much attention to the 33 winchester, but since you mention it here, i looked it up ...   dang, if your friend has a genuine 86 ( or 71!  or '85 ...) winchester, that would be worth the effort to get him a few rounds just to have him let you touch it ...

i see a load of 45 gr. of H4895 with a 200 gr. mj bullet at 2200 fps ...  that is not too far behind a 308 ... for practical purposes ...

in hind sight, winchester should have gone to a 358-45-70 .... bet somebody would still be loading for it ...

ken

hey i have a brand new 358 barrel and a ruger3 in 45-70 ... you don't suppose ... ? 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 4 weeks ago

Ken, Look up the 35 WCF cartridge, based on the 40/70 Sharps case.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 4 weeks ago

more trivia ... i stumbled over the fact the Lee does have a factory crimp die for the 33 winchester ...   in a pinch ( get it? ) you can load cast with just this die ... and a shellholder ...

ken

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 4 weeks ago

Thanks for replies, sorry, about delay in posting.  Don't keep computer on all the time,  35 WCF is an 1895 chambering - don't know if anything else was chambered in it.  Friend's rifle is like the one in Dillon July catalog. Have Lee FCD and Redding Sizer die coming from Midway.  Thanks to local CBA member, have 348 Win and 338 Win Mag dies to size 45-70 brass. along with 180 gr 338 mold and sizer, so should be able to load a cast bullet load w/o gas check.  Load data is sparse and old from Lyman manuals 38 and 39 and Rifle's Lever Gun Legacy special.  Most of that is for GC and jacketed loads.  Any thoughts on non gas check loads would be appreciated, the legacy magazine cast bullet load was 35 gr of 3031 with the GC 338320 so would like to start below that; also 36 grs of IMR 4895 w/RCBS gc 200 gr bullet at 1865 fps.

Thanks, Al

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 3 weeks ago

Finally received Redding size and Lee FCD for 33, size die seems to work well.  Have been reviewing scant load data I have found from old manuals and Handloader articles in 90's.  Since I only have a PB cast bullet mold (borrowed) need low to medium loads - one in an early CB (copyright July 58) manual listed 16 grs of 4759 with PB 338337 (220 gr ??) for 33 Win.  As this is at present an experiment, would like opinions on load with a lee 180 gr PB bullet with powders on hand - 5744, RL 7, no 4198, 4227,4759 on hand.  Disassembled (takedown) with extreme caution to check sized case and bore and to be everything looked good, but doubt it will be used soon for hunting or such.  Lee bullet is not a flat point so will have to single load and modify any rounds to remain with owner.  All thought appreciated.

Al 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 3 weeks ago

i am tempted to start a thread on extrapolation ( guesses ) of loads for cartridges with little or no published data.

but it occurs to me that if a loader person is not already extrapolating (guessing ) loads, maybe he shouldn't.

how about a hazy thought ::  for the same caliber and bullet weight ( or lighter ) , light and medium loads can be guessed at by using loads from other data if the water capacity ( volumn ) of the case AFTER THE BULLET IS FULLY SEATED  is the same.

medium or light safe loads.  safe.  think twice, pour powder once.

ken

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 3 weeks ago

Thanks - been working on my own thoughts.  Since this is not mine am already following your advice.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
ALYMAN#1 posted this 6 days ago

FWIW got some range time with this load and rifle - used 19 gr AA5744 with Lee 178 gr cast bullet of W/W in formed 45-70 cases.  Velocity ran approx 1475 avg - 1 round at 20 gr ran 1530 fps,  Slight wash of lead at muzzle - owner was tickled and said he  would call his aunt whose grandfather was the original owner.  Will try some lino bullets and some as cast since bore is 0.339 and first attempts were sized 0.338. Thanks to my local CBA member and to all who have assisted. 

Al

Attached Files

Close