Heavy 22 caliber mold

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 12 January 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
max503 posted this 07 November 2018

Looking for a mold that is heavy for the caliber, to use in a 223.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 08 November 2018

Have you looked at NOE?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 08 November 2018

What is your barrel twist?

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 November 2018

What is your barrel twist?

The twist is 1:12.  That kind of calls for a lighter bullet, doesn't it?  

I'm using that old Lyman 225415 mold.  The one I've been posting about.  I thought about replacing it if I can find a reasonable deal on something else.  Otherwise I'll just muck along with it.  I kind of like this Tikka rifle.  Yesterday was the first time it had ever had a CB fired through it.  A starting load of SR 4759 gave me a 2 x 6 inch vertical string at 100 yards.  That was with low-quality castings and a very poor rest.  (I used a rice-stuffed sock on top of a baby wipes dispenser.)  I didn't sort them or anything like that.  I just put some loads together to try out and see how it would do.  This gun can do better, I'm sure.  It was a nice day and I wanted an excuse to stop off at the range on the way to work.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 November 2018

I just found out that Lee makes a 55 grain, 22 caliber mold.  That could be right up my alley.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 08 November 2018

Max,

There sure is some shooters that like the Lee 55 gr C225-55-RF. You should hear the other side too. I virtually hate that bullet and think it is useless. I disagree with the bore rider theory of cast bullets all together and view the smaller diameter nose as a free float area that foolishly subtracts from an area that should be contacting the chamber for stability.  The bullet has a repulsively short bearing band area that is insufficient for stabilizing it in the chamber. Stability of a cast bullet that fits the chamber with a sliding fit is where cast bullet accuracy comes from and the Lee 55 completely misses the boat. Sure, a number of shooters dink around with punching the nose bigger and get some semblance of accuracy, but why? there is much better designs that have a very LONG bearing band area with the same bullet weight.

I suggest you try my favorite with a long bearing area that can fit or be sized the full bearing band length to contact the chamber for stability:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/790896/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-225646-22-caliber-225-diameter-55-grain-semi-point-gas-check

My Lyman 225646 cast in Lyman #2 alloy, all up sized and checked and tumble lubed once before size/check and twice after with Whites Deluxe 45:45:10 weighs 59 grains and shoots under 1" at 50 yards with a variety of charges/velocities from my Ultra Varmint Handi .223. It likes A2230 and H4895 at just over 2,000 fps. My HB AR15 also likes them shot at the minimum velocity that cycles the action reliably.

Gary

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 08 November 2018

You might get by with a 60gr. bullet, but up to 55gr. you are pretty safe. The RCBS 22-55-SP is a good bullet choice. Also look at the NOE 225-57-FN.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Hornet posted this 09 November 2018

My old Remington 788 in .223 has a 12" twist and it really likes the N.O.E. 225-62-RN-A4 (ref Saeco 221) at about 2100 fps. Around 12 grains of 4759, 4227, or 5744 is a good starting point, RP 7 1/2 or Fed 205M Primer. I got vertical stringing with milder primers.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2018

Lee 55gr ... i have a brand new in box 6 cavity that i bot for my 14 twist ruger hornet ... but then decided to use a different bullet ...  available at $35, shipped.  pm me if.

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 09 November 2018

Gary wrote: 

"Max,

There sure is some shooters that like the Lee 55 gr C225-55-RF. You should hear the other side too. I virtually hate that bullet and think it is useless. I disagree with the bore rider theory of cast bullets all together and view the smaller diameter nose as a free float area that foolishly subtracts from an area that should be contacting the chamber for stability.  The bullet has a repulsively short bearing band area that is insufficient for stabilizing it in the chamber Sure, a number of shooters dink around with punching the nose bigger and get some semblance of accuracy, but why?

============

Gary offers a lot of good advice to forum members on casting and shooting cast bullets and I respect his contributions.  And I certainly don't want to get into an argument about whether bullets with a bore riding nose or other designs are better.  Handled intelligently both will work very well.  However, as one who dinks around with fitting the nose in such bullets I believe he is misguided about the opinion above and it shouldn't stand without correction by facts.

For factory or military rifles bore riding bullets are an excellent choice. That isn't just an opinion.  Look at the match results and you will see that such bullets dominate the winner's circle in CBA's military rifle matches. They also do well in CBA's factory rifle classes of Production and Hunting Rifle. It is true they don't work well if the nose doesn't touch the bore and if the mold is defective in this way that must be corrected by either lapping or beagling. As Gary has said many times, any bullet must be fitted to the rifle for good results.

John

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 10 November 2018

Some of the most time proven bullets are bore riders.  Lyman's 311299/314299 comes to mind.  Bore riders MUST be matched to the bore and supported accordingly.  Mr Harrison makes reference to types of rifling and suitable styles of bullets in his writing. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

max503 posted this 15 November 2018

Lee 55gr ... i have a brand new in box 6 cavity that i bot for my 14 twist ruger hornet ... but then decided to use a different bullet ...  available at $35, shipped.  pm me if.

ken

I passed on this generous offer because I want quality, not quantity.  My guess is that the 6 cavity mold is marketed towards semi-auto shooters.  I'm looking for accuracy out of my Tikka bolt action.  The Lee 6 cavity molds work fine for my handguns.  Now I'm considering getting the 2 cavity version of the Lee mold.  Or maybe I'll get that Lyman 225646.  Maybe I'll spend more on the Lyman mold and call it my Christmas present to myself.  Any other molds I might consider?  I don't want to spend too much.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 November 2018

Don't be too sure about the old fallacy of "you get what you pay for". "Sometimes" belongs in there somewhere.

The Lees are low cost but I have never had to send one back. Same with Lymans until the last one I bought (646) was totally unusable. It would cast a bullet but wouldn't let you get it out of the mold. To Lyman's credit they replaced it. Sold it while new. 

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

John

Attached Files

max503 posted this 15 November 2018

I've had very good luck with the Lee molds.  I'm going to order the 2 cavity.  In order to get good accuracy I've always had to sort and index everything.  That's easier with 2 cavities than 6.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 11 January 2019

This thread could be deleted.  I got a Lee 2 cavity 55 grain mold.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 12 January 2019

Max,

We don't usually delete threads, you the author can if you wish, but the forum would be better served leaving it up. The information within might be valuable to another member and would come up in a forum search.  

Attached Files

max503 posted this 12 January 2019

OK.  I didn't know.  Its fine with me if you want to leave it up.

Attached Files

Close