casting ladles

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 26 June 2015
gpidaho posted this 03 June 2015

Friends:  I would like some advice and your preference as to casting ladles.  I own a Lyman and am aware of the Rowell products. Seems even the small Rowell#1 holds a pound of lead. I know,  you don't have to fill it but it still seems a little large.  My Lyman, well it just feels kind of clumsy (or it could be me) as I'm used to the bottom pour method.  So, if any of you have a link to or a picture of your favorite I would appreciate your input.   Thanks   GP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
grouch posted this 03 June 2015

I prefer my 50yr old Lyman ladle with the shorter handle. Grouch

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 June 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8045>gpidaho

There is some logic to selecting a casting ladle size. You likely may have single and  double through 6 cavity molds. If you select a ladle that will hold 2 to 4 times the amount of metal for your mold that needs the most metal to fill all cavities, you will then have a ladle that is large enough for your needs. A smaller ladle than that cools too quickly to be thermodynamically efficient for your ladle casting application with just one ladle. The Rowell 1 pounder is a good selection for big bullet 6 cavity mold pouring.

Gary

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 03 June 2015

For use with a Paul Jones 415-grain single cavity mould, the old RCBS works well. But for most other multi-cavity moulds the Rowell ladle works very well. The Magma engineering 40-pound pot has an ID of 5” which helps for ladle use. The Lyman ID is 4 1/2". The old Lee 5-pounder is used to melt down wheel weights off to the side while doing regular bullet casting.

Tom

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 03 June 2015

Geez, I thought everybody did what I do- ladle the lead into the mold in a lovingly fashion via a Tiffany silver spoon. :)

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 03 June 2015

I am still using the Lyman ladle I started casting with, 50 some years ago. Used it for many years casting pistol bullets in a 4 cavity H&G mold. Now use it almost entirely for rifle, mostly .30 cal. but some .375 cal. but nothing over 2 cavity molds.

If you're going to cast with a 4 or six cavity large caliber mold, a Rowell ladle may make things a little easier, but otherwise a Lyman or RCBS regular ladle works just fine. I have an idea any ladle feels and works right after you use it enough to get used to it. One thing: even a Lyman or RCBS ladle holds too much lead for most 2 cavity molds. It helps to learn how full your ladle needs to be when casting with a one or two cavity mold.

Wes

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 June 2015

Thanks for the replys guys, I believe it's like Wes said, just a matter of getting use to the tools at hand. I got out my Lyman ladle, RCBS cast iron bowl and the Camp Chief one burner propane stove today and gave ladle casting a chance. Happy to say all worked very well for me. I've always just used my bottom pour Mag 20 up until now. As posted on another thread, I was having problems with spout freeze with an alloy containing babbit. This pushed me to the ladle and I'm glad for the nudge. Thanks Guys GP

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 June 2015

I like the RCBS. It has a square back side. This makes it easier for me to dmp any dross off of the ladle.

Attached Files

operator posted this 04 June 2015

For about 35 years I have been using a home-made ladle made from a soda syphon gas cylinder. I cut off half the top and brazed on a handle made from the twisted wire of an industrial brush. Eight inches long makes a good balance as it sits nicely in the small Lee pot that I ladle cast with. Bore a hole in the spout after having a look at the size of your sprue hole and you are good to go. Also an easy way for a lefty to have a ladle that suits. Bullets up to 450 grains are no trouble, but could not keep a large six cavity mould hot.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 04 June 2015

Re: ladle pouring for southpaws; I believe RCBS ladles have been made for either hand use for some time now. (You can screw the handle into the ladle from either side.)

I think Lyman ladles are now made the same way, too.

Wes

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 05 June 2015

I use one I made out of a small food can,about 2” wide and 2.5” deep.twisted fence wire for the handle,bent the side in a trifle to form a pouring lip.No need to fill it all the way to the top,4 and 6 cavity are easy. Mike.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 26 June 2015

I would never NOT use a bottom pour. If I had to use a ladle, I would first use the Lyman, just because I have never read any one having a complaint about it. Obviously, a lefty may need something made for them.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 26 June 2015

Years ago, when I began casting, I used the Lyman ladle. It was so handy, what with not having to let go of the mould, to tap the sprue plate, etc. and just seemed so natural, that I doubt if I could even use a ladle left-handed, (even though I do everything else as a lefty.) It would take a lot of re-training. But, after many years of using a bottom-feed pot, and force-feeding my moulds, the thought doesn't even occur to me now. I'm spoiled, I guess.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Close