Bullet sizing die needed

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 30 July 2015
Dirtybore posted this 29 July 2015

Does anyone make a bullet sizing die for the bore riding nose end of a bullet?  I'm in need of a sizer that would size to 0.300".  I suppose I could push a bullet in a regular lyman sizing die but I don't believe they make one that sizes 0.300". Thanks for any responces I may get.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 29 July 2015

Dirtybore; If you go to the Cast Boolits web site, and the Vewndor/Sponsor forum Richard Doughty can make you the desired nose sizer . He has done a number of jobs for me and the results have always been first rate, timely and reasonable. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 29 July 2015

Dirtybore wrote: Does anyone make a bullet sizing die for the bore riding nose end of a bullet?  I'm in need of a sizer that would size to 0.300".  I suppose I could push a bullet in a regular lyman sizing die but I don't believe they make one that sizes 0.300". Thanks for any responces I may get.

You've identified a MARKET!

It's a simple matter to ID a series of nose diamters and build an H&I die to do it.

WAKE UP LYMAN, RCBS et al.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 29 July 2015

Likely the same fellow as in Brodie's post. But PM Buckshot @ Boolits First class work. Gp

Attached Files

fordbum46 posted this 30 July 2015

First let me say, I powder coat all of my rifle bullets. With the nose riding section of the bullet at .30, after you add the powder coat the bore riding section is to large to fit in the rifled portion of the barrel. To reduce the diameter I use the VHT brand 1200 Deg. Header paint in flat black. Mask off the lower portion of the bullet that you do not wish to change, I use blue painters tape and the handle of a cut off tooth brush to rub the edges of the area of the mold that I want the tape not to cover. Following the instructions on the can for the remainder of the process. When it comes to the heat cycling, I use my lead pot, and adjust the temp. to heat the mold to the 200 and 400 degree cycles. For the 600 degree cycles I just cast bullets slowly at normal temps for at least 20 minutes.  At this point you can use a little lapping compound and true up the diameter of the bore riding portion of the bullet. Depending on your spray paint care this, for me reduces the diameter 0.001 to 0.0015.   BE ADVISED THAT ONCE HEAT TREATED THIS STUFF DOES NOT COME OFF EASY!!!!!

Attached Files

Close