.223 BARREL RECHAMBERED TO 22-250

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 02 July 2016
joeb33050 posted this 23 June 2016

Ken rechambered my no-accuracy .223 Rem barrel to 22-250, sent it to me, I screwed it onto a M10 Savage action and shot it this morning with some loads available.

225415/6.5 Titegroup, 3 groups avg 1.9" 225646M/6.5 Titegroup, 5 groups avg 2.22" 225646M/8 SR4756, 3 groups avg 1.82" I set the headspace too low, hard to operate the bolt. At the end I found the scope slightly loose. Burris signature zee rings cause problems on and off. The most encouraging group was #12, 2 each of 2nd and 3rd loads into .7. It looks like rechambering the Savage 223 into 22-250 increases accuracy. This is a 22” sporter $50 barrel.

joe b.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 23 June 2016

Those groups are just awful Joe... barrel heat mirage does not help.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 23 June 2016

OU812 wrote: Those groups are just awful Joe... barrel heat mirage does not help.I think you're beginning to get it. In 223, with 225646M, this barrel averaged 2.134". With 225415 it averaged 2.730. 2 barrels, 2 actions, 225646 averaged 2.234". With 225415 averaged 2.134. All barrels, actions, bullets averaged 2.236. Feb 2014 to now. Many groups, powders, etc. Get it? We call this poor accuracy.

Out of the chute, averages of 1.9", 2.22” and 1.82” with this bbl chambered to 22-250 are what we call a farging wonder.

(No barrel heat mirage. Story later)

This now is a 22-250 with 9” twist; 227-80?

The sky's the limit!

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 23 June 2016

I got caught up in testing my 223 with bullets I had casted. I'll cast some more 227-80 bullets this weekend then send them to you... I PROMISE

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 27 June 2016

SHOT 6/27/16, 5 GROUPS 5 SHOTS 100 YARDS Ken-rechambered 223 to 22-250 barrel. M10 action. T36. Cut off pistol-style stock. 7.0 Titegroup. Gun  is wobbly on the bag, bench rest needs work.   gpidaho cast NOE 227-80  Avg. 1.895" 225646M, sized .225", LLA  Avg. 1.730" 225646M, sized .225", nose sized 3 bands in Ken C. die, AVG. 1.505"

It looks as though rechambering a Savage barrel 223 to 22-250  makes it shoot accurately.

Big cases are accurate.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 June 2016

ok, i'm starting to get impressed .

1.5 from a wobbly sporter rifle . hmmm .

i bet the 80 gr would benefit from some load development ... and your rifle needs a slider plate ...

1.5 inch group... congratulations .

ken

i mailed a longer push-out rod today.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 27 June 2016

How often are you cleaning the barrel? I would clean between 10 or 20 rounds to see if accuracy improves.

What lube are you using?

Concentricity of .003 or less helps.

I know nothing.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 June 2016

Good work Joe, things are looking up for you and the 22-250. I saw a 22-250 24” inch barrel with a 1 in 8 twist for sale on the Boolits swap and sell and was tempted as I always am, but then it was an Encore and I well know your dislike of the T/Cs. Let me know if you need more bullets from our mould. Gp

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 28 June 2016

gpidaho wrote: Good work Joe, things are looking up for you and the 22-250. I saw a 22-250 24” inch barrel with a 1 in 8 twist for sale on the Boolits swap and sell and was tempted as I always am, but then it was an Encore and I well know your dislike of the T/Cs. Let me know if you need more bullets from our mould. GpIt occurs to me that I've never tried the 227-80 in a 12” twist 22-250 barrel. Have you? I wonder if it stabilizes, as the modified bullets do. Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 28 June 2016

Joe, other than my Savage 112 1 in 14 twist, the only other 22-250 I own is a T/C Encore 15". T/c measures there barrels chamber and all so 13” nom. of rifling. Pushing a patch through several times I'm getting one rotation so it seems that it's slower than 12 also. As far as stabilizing, the 227-80 loads I chronographed for you were laughable, some clear sideways at 10 yrds. I'll try a few in the Encore out of curiosity but don't hold out much hope for stabilization. I'm thinking that if I can find a used Handi barrel 223 1 in 9 like the one I have, it might be the cheapest way of getting a faster twist 22-250. For now I'm just going to use the 227-80s in the 223. We'll keep trying. Gp

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 29 June 2016

223 Rem bbl rechambered to 22-250 by Ken C.

6/29/26, 225646M, LLA, 7/Titegroup

Sized .225 +nose sized in Ken C. dies, 5 shot 5 group 100 yard avg  1.45" Sized .225, 5 shot 6 group 100 yard avg  1.57"

It's becoming clear that Savage 223 barrels shoot cb's inaccurately, chambered for 22-250 they shoot cb's accurately.

Why?

The secret of cb accuracy may be hidden in the answer.

Attached Files

joeb33050 wrote: gpidaho wrote: Good work Joe, things are looking up for you and the 22-250. I saw a 22-250 24” inch barrel with a 1 in 8 twist for sale on the Boolits swap and sell and was tempted as I always am, but then it was an Encore and I well know your dislike of the T/Cs. Let me know if you need more bullets from our mould. GpIt occurs to me that I've never tried the 227-80 in a 12” twist 22-250 barrel. Have you? I wonder if it stabilizes, as the modified bullets do. Thanks; joe b. Today I shot 12 227-80 bullets from gpidaho with 7/Titegroup at 50 yards to see if they stabilized. This in a Savage 12FV with a 12” twist 22-250 barrel on it. I think all 12 hit the paper. Some tipped, none went through sideways. If pressed, I'd say that the bullets are on the edge of stability. .915"~ long. Greenhill says that a .225” dia bullet .915” long requires minimum twist of 8.299", with a constant of 150. Greenhill also says that a constant of 200 can be used. The min twist with constant 200 is is 11.1".

To stabilize in a 12” twist barrel, the constant must be .216.

The Greenhill bullet is an oblate spheroid, football shaped.

Something happens when the bullet becomes very pointy. Sorta like the point doesn't count in length.  

Greenhill

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 29 June 2016

Joe and Ken, I appreciate ya'll doing this experiment. :)

Assuming that the improvement in accuracy is significant, we have 2 variables 1) a different case and 2) a different throat.

Ken, did you use a SAAMI reamer, or was it something special?

Thoughts?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 June 2016

mr. mt.:

the chamber is a ppg standard saami, but the separate throater is a ppg guided 0.2245 1/2 degree set to just engrave joe's 636 unbumped bullet as cast, when oal is about 2.35 .
the sizer die i made to go with this is also 0.2245 with 1/2 degree nose . it is made to either just partly size, or fully reform the entire bullet . fwiw, i made the die body from 6061 aluminum, wanted to see how long it survives ...

i might mention ...in context with the fun of improving factory rifles ... that after 30 years of shooting factory barrels i experienced a religious conversion upon witnessing the results of a proper match quality barrel .....it might be considered cheating i suppose but there is something about a bullet way out there hitting your crosshair .

with factory barrels my goal is bean cans at 100 yards !!

i have to remind myself that with factory rifles we are testing barrels ... with match rifles we are testing bullets . both are fun... and as you say, factory rifles are less boring ... like a cat chasing a laser mouse ... heh

ken

Attached Files

Thanks for the info, Ken.

OK, so the rechambered barrel has a non-standard throat, presumably cut with benchrest precision.   

Of course now Joe and Ken need to set back and rechamber another Savage 223 barrel, except this time just set it back enough to end up with a 223 chamber with the same throat as the rechambered 22-250.   Otherwise we'll never know whether the improvement was due to the bigger case or due to the benchrest quality throat.  :)

Attached Files

i did rethroat one of joeb's 223 barrels with this same throater ...to our dismay it shot worster ... heh

in that case we did not recut the chamber, i just rethroated .

it could well be that setting it back y better cut might show what we really think is true ::: 223 shoot just fine in savage barrels ....

but so far haven't managed to prove ...or even indicate ... that ... such fun .

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i did rethroat one of joeb's 223 barrels with this same throater ...to our dismay it shot worster ... heh

in that case we did not recut the chamber, i just rethroated .OK, then if you didn't set the barrel back, then the resulting throat might not have been exactly the same as the 22-250 throat?     

Attached Files

probably somewhat different i bet ... i don't have a 223 reamer.... nobody has asked me for a precision 223 chamber ...heh .... 223 guys just buy greek ammo by the case and shoot down the target holders at the local gun range ...

i do have a ppg 222 reamer, but that would be too easy ...probably instant success y too old school ... hah ...

seriously, it is a puzzle regarding joeb's 223 savage barrels ... they might be bellmouthed ...or bulged midbarrel ??? remember joeb cut one in half ...although backward ... that didn't help ...

our next rube goldberg idea is to cut a 22-250 on a decent 22 rf match barrel ... ss 1 inch, 40x, 5 groove ...15-16 twist... maybe 225438/415/462 bullets ............that project is underway now .... even old boys need toys ...

ken

Attached Files

mtngun wrote: Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i did rethroat one of joeb's 223 barrels with this same throater ...to our dismay it shot worster ... heh

in that case we did not recut the chamber, i just rethroated .OK, then if you didn't set the barrel back, then the resulting throat might not have been exactly the same as the 22-250 throat?     Here's the deal. Savage 223 bbls shoot cb's inaccurately. Savage 22-250 bbls shoot cb's accurately. A Savage 223 bbl rechambered to 22-250 shoots cb's accurately. Throat? Schmoat! The whole bullet fit throat lead angle business is either BS, or only applies <1” 5 shot 5 group 100 yard averages. I vote for BS. This nonsense is about custom molds and nose sizing dies and concentricity gauges and various magic solutions. Add in 30R and 32 Miller short and the ppc family; smaller cases are BS-where's the data? Spending money does not, = NOT, make accuracy.  The entire chamber cast chamber forging drivel is drivel. Has anyone EVER, in the history of the CBA, EVER, told the story of how he found accuracy through precise measurement of some kinda chamber casting/forging and modifying bullets/swaging bullets /buying new molds. Read John Ardito's articles, he went through the exercise and was NEVER convinced. Now, I could be wrong. Show me! 

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 29 June 2016

Joe, you not believing all this is probably why you cannot shoot.

Super tight neck tension on a bore riding bullet that is way off from be concentric with case is destined for failure...or poor grouping.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 30 June 2016

Ken, A word of caution, most match 22Rf barrels, are .222 groove, all the molds that you list, cast .227, unless they are “U” molds and they are suppose to cast .225, still pretty large for a .222 groove.

My 22RF is .222 groove and 14 twist, I can't get the 415 to stabilize @ 1200+ fps, the 462 is longer yet, I believe.

Frank

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 June 2016

frank ... thanks for correct warning ...

this is a scheme mainly to rebel against the gods ..... highly controlled parameters of course ...

funny the 415 won't stabilize in your 14 twist ... but yes the 462 wobbled a tad in my 222 remmy 14 twist at 1400 fps .

we are thinking mosty that the 438 is the best place to start...the throat will be 0.2245 and hopefully be the sizer-in-place . hey the nose should engrave nicely !!

ken

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 30 June 2016

My 415 is .598 long and the Lee is .580 both w/o GC. The Lee tips just slightly at 1100 but, as you can see, the 415 tips a lot @ 1200.

In my 16 twist 22RF, I was able to stabilize a .525 long bullet @ 1208 and shot one .410, 5 shot group @ 100, lots more in the 1” range.

I've had very good results with the 438 @ 1100 in my 14 twist, they are .495 long w/o GC but, the Lee out shoots it.

Frank

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 30 June 2016

Joe sez: “Here's the deal.Savage 223 bbls shoot cb's inaccurately."

Have been a little tied up with moving 3,700 miles and having the movers lose my computer but before Joe brings the unified field theory of 22 cast bullets down from one of those Florida mountains on a clay tablet I thought I should speak up.

Between 2000 and about 2010 I shot four different Savage 223s in CBA nationals and postal matches. The group postal matches were usually either a little under or a little over 1” for the four five shot groups. I was managing the nationals during those years and usually was shooting from half cocked or not at all so they are worse. I was shooting 75 and 85 grain bullets similar to the NOE 22780SP for the whole period.

All four of the rifles involved had a loose area roughly in the middle third of the bore and a “choke” in the last inch or so just as the barrel did that Joe sent me to bore scope and slug. I don't know if that is relevant or not. 

I did get frustrated with the fouling in the loose spot and finally went to another brand rifle but saying that Savage 223s won't shoot cast bullets at or near the 1MOA level is at least premature. John

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 30 June 2016

Glad to hear you survived the big move, John.   Now all you have to do is unpack, get settled in, and then take a year off to recover.  :D  :D  :D  

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 30 June 2016

John Alexander wrote: Joe sez: “Here's the deal.Savage 223 bbls shoot cb's inaccurately."===== Have been a little tied up with moving 3,700 miles and having the movers lose my computer but before Joe brings the unified field theory of 22 cast bullets down from one of those Florida mountains on a clay tablet I thought I should speak up.

Between 2000 and about 2010 I shot four different Savage 223s in CBA nationals and postal matches. The group postal matches were usually either a little under or a little over 1” for the four five shot groups. I was managing the nationals during those years and usually was shooting from half cocked or not at all so they are worse. I was shooting 75 and 85 grain bullets similar to the NOE 22780SP for the whole period.

All four of the rifles involved had a loose area roughly in the middle third of the bore and a “choke” in the last inch or so just as the barrel did that Joe sent me to bore scope and slug. I don't know if that is relevant or not.  I did get frustrated with the fouling in the loose spot and finally went to another brand rifle but saying that Savage 223s won't shoot cast bullets at or near the 1MOA level is at least premature.

It ain't premature, John. It's 6+ years of trying, thousands of dollars worth of equipment, molds from the wizards, tens of thousands of shots, 8 barrels and not a single person other than you with success in accurate Savage 223 shooting. Not a farking one has responded here except hrafnagel whose groups look as bad as mine. Alternatively, Savage 22-250 barrels, 5 out of 6, were EASY to get shooting accurately. Simple, fast, no magic, no chamber casts, no wizard bullets, no concern for the ball seat or leade, or throat or cartridge size, no alloy hardness measurement. No crap, and <1.5” 5 shot 5 group averages are there.

With a 22” $50 wispy sporter barrel rechambered from 223 to 22-250.

It ain't premature, John.  

John

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 30 June 2016

Joe,

Well, I'll admit that you have a lot of evidence and it is a mystery unless Savage is using different throats for the two case shapes.  Another semi-rational explanation would be that the faster twist of the 223s is increasing the dispersion, although that doesn't explain the barrel that Ken changed from one to the other.

I am very skeptical of the belief that a small case almost full of powder is needed for good CB accuracy as the JB shooters think they have found -- thus the 30BR. But I am even more skeptical that a bigger case is better or that there is some magic about case shape. 

Another vexing thing is that all four of my Savage 223 would average under .8 moa for five shot groups with JBs and I believe you have found similar excellent accuracy with JBs in your Savage 223s. Why do only CBs cause trouble?

It ain't just me. I have heard from others that are finding the NOE22780 easy to shoot in Savage 223s.  A fellow named Pate has placed well in our postal matches with that combination.  Maybe what you are finding is a combination of a slightly different throat and the unusual design of your Lyman bullet.

If I remember you tried to shoot the NOE bullet in at least one of your 223s without luck. Maybe it would fit better and shoot better in one of the others.  I am impressed that you have been able to get good accuracy with very short (low sectional density compared to good 30 caliber designs) bullets in the 22-250 barrels.  I ran into a wall (about where you are) with bullets that would stabilize in a 14” twist and had better luck immediately upon changing to quicker twist and longer bullets -- similar to the 30 caliber shooters use for best CB accuracy e.g. 311299 and such. I would be happy to send samples of NOE 80 grain bullets with nose diameters that might fit if you are interested.

John 

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 02 July 2016

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 02 July 2016

THE 227-80 IS UNSTABLE IN 12” TWIST 22-250 BARREL, 7.5 TITEGROUP.

Attached Files

Close