STRIKER 22-250 100 YARDS

• Last Post 23 August 2016
joeb33050 posted this 19 August 2016

THE RANGE IS OPEN! Striker 22-250, 225415, Titegroup. This with the bullet nose sized in Ken C. die.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 August 2016

joe.... it would be interesting to include mean radius .... that indicates the ” scoring ” potential of a load .

being as how you could have a 2 foot group at 200 yards and still score a 90 offhand .

i thought 415 wasn't that good in the past for you .... have you discovered an improvement ?

i have an excel sheet to find mean radius... jim scearcy developed it ... you just enter the xy co-ords of each shot ... referenced from any point, preferably lower left of group. also has graph and also group size...( just for fun , just to see excel go to work ...ha... ) ... up to 20 shot group .

good shooting ..... note::: factory barrel... i am impressed ...

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 21 August 2016

Great Target Joe.  Not as fantastic as those 200 meter groups but amazing. I have been telling you for years that 22s are easy to shoot cast in. That is a better average than I was EVER able to get with a 14” twist and the required short bullet.  My usual best average of several consecutive groups was 1.5” and that was with a rifle.  Of course the internet is full of claims of tiny groups with all kinds of stumpy 22 bullets right down to the 35 grain 224107. Maybe they mean the best three shot group out of ten. Keep up the good work. John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 21 August 2016

I've done a poor job of testing, deciding what to test when. In 22-250 I have the Striker, 2 22” stock rifle barrels and a 223 22” barrel that Ken chambered to 22-250.

I've got 2 rifle actions, M10 and M12 FV.

I've got two bullets/molds, a 225438 mold I haven't tried yet, plus bullets sent by several guys to help me out.

I'm using only Titegroup now, although SR4756 seems to be more accurate. Thanks again, Bill.

I've graphed all the results, giving me a better picture of what's going on.

Five shot group size with identical loads varies. A test plan of 5 five shot 100 yard groups produces averages that vary. It requires a lot of groups to clearly see that one load is more accurate than another. There's variation within each load, and variation between each two loads. I can't see what's going on without the graphs, and without toggling between the graphs. It seems that flyers/fliers/outliers happen with disturbing frequency, and screw up the averages. The graphs minimize this.

It seems that accuracy improves as the charge of Titegroup increases with the 646 and 415. Around 6 grains was great compared with the 223; as I reluctantly increased the load toward 8 grains things improved. The 225415 shot better and better.

I think that I can shoot the Striker pistol more accurately than the rifles. I've got a big flat on the hand grip bottom that takes al,l the wobble out of even a T36 scope. The rifle triggers are better, the pistol is steadier.

The graphs tell me what to load, maybe my testing will make more sense now.

I'll attach the graph workbook.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 22 August 2016

joeb33050 wrote: It requires a lot of groups to clearly see that one load is more accurate than another.  .... It seems that flyers/fliers/outliers happen with disturbing frequency, and screw up the averages.

That is my experience as well.    

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 22 August 2016

mtngun wrote: joeb33050 wrote: It requires a lot of groups to clearly see that one load is more accurate than another.  .... It seems that flyers/fliers/outliers happen with disturbing frequency, and screw up the averages.

That is my experience as well.    

Of course it requires a lot of groups. (See my TFS article on examining the right amount of lube.)  Given how groups of the same load vary from one group to the next we shouldn't expect to tell much from comparing a small number of groups of each of two loads unless the accuracy difference is large. Joe has preached about this more or less forever.  

In a string of five 5-shot groups the largest group will usually be nearly double the size of the smallest -- no matter the gun, load, or accuracy level.  See Am. Rifleman tests of five 5-shot groups -- or a statistics book.  Ten shots vary a bit less from one group to the next of course but still considerably. 

Yet many if not most otherwise fairly sophisticated shooters think they are selecting the best load by comparing a string of single groups where each groups has a bit more powder. No wonder progress is slow.

Unless something unusual is going on I don't believe fliers screw up the averages. it seems to me that almost all “fliers” are just the part of the averages we don't like.

John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 22 August 2016

Today I shot 10 groups 225646m 6.5 titegroup averaging 1.51” M11 bbl.;; 5 groups 225415 6.5 Titegroup avg 1.81", 7 Titegroup avg 1.63. Nobody knows what this means without looking at the graphs, just updated. And, John, to see fliers, look at the graphs. There they are, staring at you! joe b. 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 22 August 2016

Ok Joe there are a few groups that look pretty big.  But very few that are much bigger than twice the average. But nearly as man that are less than half the average. Group sizes aren't likely to be normally distributed.

I need help to understand what you are doing with the numbers.  Maybe I'm the only one but maybe not.  

What criteria do you use to decide a shot is an outlier?

Why do you give averages for as many as four different loads?  it seems to me that that would naturally lead to groups that might be further above the average and in a homogenous set. John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 23 August 2016

John Alexander wrote: Ok Joe there are a few groups that look pretty big.  But very few that are much bigger than twice the average. But nearly as man that are less than half the average. Group sizes aren't likely to be normally distributed.

I think that group size IS normally distributed. Many of my calculations assume this.

I need help to understand what you are doing with the numbers.  Maybe I'm the only one but maybe not.  

With 4 barrels, 2 bullets and one powder; and 80 sets of 5, five shot groups-in addition to some sets of 4 and 3 groups, the data in a spreadsheet or table loses all meaning-at least for me. The data, put into the charts, shows accuracy vs. powder charge. The charts show group sizes that are unusually large, compared to others with the same charge. These are sometimes caused by fliers. The arithmetic required to identify a flier was done, in the past.

What criteria do you use to decide a shot is an outlier?

EXPECTED AND UNEXPECTED FLYERS               When shooting groups, there is  always one shot, a flyer, that determines group size. With five shot groups that flyer turns a smaller four shot group into a much larger five shot group. That's generally just arithmetic antagonizing the shooter.               When we shoot a set of groups during an experiment, we're trying to estimate the average group size for a given shooter/equipment /conditions system. Sometimes that flyer is so far out that we wonder if it should be included in the calculations.               Some flyers are expected, are just part of the normal variation in bullet hole location. Other flyers are unexpected, a bullet hole very far away from the others.   Here's how to tell an expected flyer from an unexpected flyer.               Measure the group including the flyer.             Measure the group without the flyer.             Divide the group sizes, with flyer/without flyer; and get the “ratio".   For five shot groups: If the ratio is greater than 1.6, we're 95% sure that the flyer is unexpected. If the ratio is greater than 1.8, we're 99% sure that the flyer is unexpected.   For ten shot groups: If the ratio is greater than 1.4, we're 95% sure that the flyer is unexpected. If the ratio is greater than 1.5, we're 99% sure that the flyer is unexpected.

Why do you give averages for as many as four different loads?  it seems to me that that would naturally lead to groups that might be further above the average and in a homogenous set.

To show/see group size vs. powder charge.

JohnI shoot a lot of groups, and I see some fliers. I don't know what causes them, or how to eliminate them. They cause odd big groups. 1 flier in a 5 shot group biases the other 4 shots. 1 flier in a 10 shot group biases the other 9 shots. An argument for 2 shot groups?

The charts sorta suggest that group size variation decreases as group size average falls, but the numbers are very fuzzy.

The charts seem to show that group size vs powder charge is “U shaped", as expected. 

The charts also show that my test plan was/is crappy, much wasted shooting. Maybe there's a hint in there about a better test plan.

joe b.

Attached Files

Close