Greetings From Ranch Dog

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 11 March 2008
Ranch Dog posted this 23 January 2008

Greetings Fellows...

Finally got off my rump and joined the the CBA! Been around a bit on the various forums, moderator on Shooters Forum and MarlinOwners so some of the users names here make me comfortable and it should seem like home!

Professionally, I'm a pilot for a large airline (rather keep that out of everything) and was looking forward to the age 60 retirement. I live on a ranch that I manage for whitetails. There is a 300-yard rifle range out the door and the target berms are packed with spent lead! I am the President of a Wildlife Management Association and represent the landowners on over 200,000 acres in all deer management issues with the State or otherwise.

Marlin rifles and tumble lube bullets are my thing as is hunting big game with those bullets in South and West Texas. I love the 444 Marlin but try to give equal attention to all of the levergun calibers. The only two rifles I own that I'm not shooting cast bullets in are my 1894CL in 218 Bee and 336SC in 219 Zipper. 

I love hunting big whitetails and big mule deer in the desert-scapes. Here is the desert mule deer I took this year with my 444T and a Ranch Dog TLC432-265-RF bullet...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 23 January 2008

Holy Smokes Ranch Dog; Our Florida deer couldn't carry that much horn with a back pack. My wrist was already cut when I realized you probably have more blood brothers than you want already, damm. Yer not spoiled, yer ruint. When you fly here to Florida, everyone does, come shoot handguns with us, my treat. With what is at home, what the heck do you do for vacation? Just a guess, I'm an old jar head too. Welcome friend.

Roy

Attached Files

gunarea wrote: Holy Smokes Ranch Dog; With what is at home, what the heck do you do for vacation?

Thanks for the welcome Roy! I've got a pretty good gal that let's me take everyday of my vacation here at the ranch. I do disappear for a week to hunt those desert mule deer. To help you visualze what I do with my off time...

Danged leverguns and their cast bullets knock 'em down! When I got a few minutes, I walk out back and give the hogs heck!

:dude:  to our American GIs of any flavor! 

Attached Files

Hey Michael; Geez, pictures don't lie, you do like your Marlins. Since I have your attention and you are a Marlin man, maybe you could enlighten me on micro grooves. I purchased a centenial model 336C when it came out in 1971, chambered in 35 Rem. The word is, don't run cast through the micro groove. What is your take on this? It's a great brush gun and I reload for it but I have never run cast through it because of the cautions against it. By the way, it is the only firearm I own that hasn't had cast bullets in it. Florida deer are smaller than most so I kill them with a 158gr jhp loaded with 2400. It does kill them handily and the noise is tolerable. It looks like your pigs are pretty darn big too. Pigs only get killed here when they start getting too close to the house. Our place is 318 acres, that used to be considered a hobby farm, not anymore. The prices of property in this area now make me flinch. My present home is less than 10 miles from where I grew up. Disney moved in and nothing has been left unchanged. Are you a native? Our handgun ranges have been coming under scrutiny for three years now and we have had to close our shotgun and hi power ranges. Although we are 12 miles from the nearest city, people are inundating the rural areas now. Hey, the offer to come shoot will stand as long as legally possible. Disney has even had an impact at our ranges, we now have an Iron Mickey and an Iron Minnie. They are not regulation silhouttes but very gratifyiny for me to shoot. Thanks for a peek into your life, it's good to be blessed. Roy

Attached Files

Them sure is some nice critters Michael! And even better right out the back door! I'm envious, all I got out my back door is ragheads, beaners and boomboxes...

Our Michigan deer don't get that big for sure, but there are a couple of nice ones still running around here and there.

Glad to have someone around with your kind of experience with leverguns..

Have fun and enjoy!

Jeff

Attached Files

Welcome Ranch Dog!

It's nice to know who you are and you've certainly showed us. Thanks for sharing the pics with us! Look forward to seeing you around.......................Dan

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 23 January 2008

Welcome Ranch Dog. I liked the pics from your “entrance".

Attached Files

gunarea wrote: Since I have your attention and you are a Marlin man, maybe you could enlighten me on micro grooves. I purchased a centenial model 336C when it came out in 1971, chambered in 35 Rem. The word is, don't run cast through the micro groove. What is your take on this? It's a great brush gun and I reload for it but I have never run cast through it because of the cautions against it. By the way, it is the only firearm I own that hasn't had cast bullets in it. Roy,

Nothing wrong with Micro-Groove barrels or the the 35 Remington, they are just a bit misunderstood.

I personally think that concern over cast bullets and Micro-Groove barrels started to surface about the time the 444 Marlin came on the scene. Most folks can't tell you about the actual bore diameter of their rifle and the effects of the rate of twist on bullet stability (let alone what that rate of twist is). They can read Micro-Groove stamped on the barrel and it just starts there. ".429” bullets and/or heavy bullets don't shoot worth a hoot, it must be the Micro-Groove".

As far as the 35 Rem is concerned, it just needs some attention because of the short case neck fo the cartridge and no throat/leade in the chamber (the rifling starts where the case neck ends. I've spent a bit of time working on a bullet for the 35 Remington, most of that time consumed by the wait for Lee's special order process. I think I've got everything worked out.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 January 2008

Well about time YOU got here.  Sheesh......:P

Welcome.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 24 January 2008

gunarea wrote: Hey Michael; Our place is 318 acres, that used to be considered a hobby farm, not anymore. The prices of property in this area now make me flinch. My present home is less than 10 miles from where I grew up. Disney moved in and nothing has been left unchanged. Are you a native? Our handgun ranges have been coming under scrutiny for three years now and we have had to close our shotgun and hi power ranges. Although we are 12 miles from the nearest city, people are inundating the rural areas now. Hey, the offer to come shoot will stand as long as legally possible. Disney has even had an impact at our ranges, we now have an Iron Mickey and an Iron Minnie. They are not regulation silhouttes but very gratifyiny for me to shoot. Thanks for a peek into your life, it's good to be blessed. Roy

Roy,

It sounds like you have a very nice place despite the pressure of Mickey and Minnie! Very effective way in dealing with the stress they've created, it has gott'a be fun whacking that steel! I was in and out of MCO over the weekend, I just love the way that people leave that place. The kids are on a sugar high. Mom and dad have so much stress that they are about to jump out of their skin. Heck, Osama doesn't scare me but those socker-moms do!

I live out in the middle of no where compared to you, but I am impacted by the same issues. Bottom-line is there is just too many people now. I am native Texan, we understand our relationship to firearms and the fact that they represent security and recreation. We have been getting a lot of city folks, native and non, and they don't get it at all.

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 January 2008

Morning Ranch Dog; Out in the middle of no where even feels good to type and you got a sweety to put up with you. I too am blessed. Tell me more about your 35 Rem load/bullet please. My Dad was sold on the cartridge and as a result I got one and have used it over the years with success. The factory loads were ok but as a young man reloading, I knew I could produce more effective ammo. Through semi-extensive testing, the 158jhp proved well suited for our 110 lb bucks. Hey, I can hear you laughing. They taste good. The one cool load I do have is a 95gr jhp made by Remington that is almost unfair on rabbits in that levergun. The meat harvest suffers from the excitement. My Dad once seared his arm on the barrel when he finally put it down for a rest. Occasionaly you may wander over us at work. Just immediatly southwest of Daytona class c southernmost quadrant extent, is a 3500' dirt runway, Hiya Dog. Next layover come shoot some steel, it really isn't any problem. Actually it will be my pleasure. Might be the only chance I'll ever get to win nickles from you. You can come whak Mickey. Uh-oh, time to go play. Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Hawkseye posted this 10 March 2008

Hi Ranch Dog...

I just thought I would drop in a word about your .444 Marlin 300 grain .432” gas check bullet mold.  I shot my first three today after casting up a batch, and lubing and sizing them per the Lee method.  I started with my old .444 micro-groove rifle(I bought it in the 70's).  It is of the vintage without any checkering on the stock, and the first three charged with 48 grains of H-322 went into less than a .9” group.  I experienced that “euphoric” feeling that only a bullet caster can know.  I also shot a couple of groups with a newer ballard rifled rifle, and the groups ran just over an inch.  I didn't experience any leading at all, and I was chronographing around 2100 fps.  I couldn't help but notice the very large holes the bullets were making in the basaltic quarry wall a hundred yards downrange while I was chronographing. 

You have indeed decoded the micro-groove mystery, and that is the fastest and most accurate lead bullet I have ever processed (and most potent).  I am very much appreciative of your efforts to provide such a great solution to the .444 Marlin cast bullet.  You've re-kindled my interest, and I intend to hunt elk with it this fall.

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 11 March 2008

Welcome Ranch Dog

Glad to have you aboard. Will be looking foreword to your input in the Hunting and Lever Action sections of the forum. I also Hunt with Marlin, Winchester and Savage lever guns. Last month I was down near San Antonio hunting Pigs with a 1886 45/70 worked real fine.

Scott

Attached Files

Close