RCBS .308-200-SIL in .30 cal

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 01 August 2009
paulezo posted this 29 January 2009

Hi, does anyone use this bullet in a .30 cal rifle? I have Schmidt-Rubin 96/11 (the long rifle, not K31) which I plan to use the bullet with. I think it would be usable in any other .30 cal. rifle, does anyone have any experiences/suggestions on the mould/bullet?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
AMMOe posted this 29 January 2009

I also have a 96/11 but have not shot this bullet. I did shoot a 30-180-SP which has a similar nose configuration and it shot very, very well. I have found that my 96/11 and my 1911's will outshoot my K-31's, easily. I always wrote it off to the long sight radius.

I have that mold and plan on taking my Engineer's Carbine beater (someone drilled and tapped it! Ugh!) out for a shoot this weekend. I will load some and see how they fly.~AMMOe

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 January 2009

The RCBS cb is a good design bullet. It is a long bore-ride bullet, with most of the cb riding in the lands. My buddy shot this in his Springfield and in his Remington in 308, but never got bench-rest competition accuracy, but it shot good.

The problem with the long bore-ride CBs is that they most always cast .295” - .300” on the nose, and most used firearms are .3005” - .301” or even .3015” in the lands at the throat. What I'm saying.....you need to be sure to have some engraving of the lands on the nose of the cb when it is loaded. Load out as far as possible to engrave. Good luck.................Dan

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 30 January 2009

My experience is similar to Dan's. I have shot the RCBS 200 Sil in competition the last two years. I achieved acceptable accuracy quickly but I was really never able to go beyound that and get competition grade accuracy. I have similar experience with the RCBS 180 SP but on balance I prefer the lighter bullet.

In my case the shooter, not the bullet, may be the limiting factor. Lefty

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 31 January 2009

I've Pretty much had the same experience as Dan and Lefty. This is an excellent bullet for long range (I've used it in CB Silhouette at 500 meters with excellent results). My mould is an early one with a .301” bore riding section.  Some folks have told me that their later moulds vary in dimension.

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 01 February 2009

Thanks for info, I will let you know how the bullet likes my M96/11 as soon as I get to the range.

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 01 February 2009

It occurs to me to ask; does this bullet fit in your rifle? A lot of my early Swiss have .299 bores that require some adjustment on nose diameter to get it tucked in there. Winter returned today so I won't be heading to the range with my 1911 Carbine. Let us know how it works!~AMMOe

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 20 May 2009

I have probably one of the earlier 96/11 rifles - production year 1912. I slugged it, got .310 dia. Not sure about the throat. Yesterday I loaded some rounds, 200 gr. RCBS silhouette + 22 gr. AA 5744 (chrono showed 1522 fps). COL is 76.90mm/3.027".  I'm going to try them this week.

Attached Files

redball2 posted this 20 May 2009

I have had a little experence with this bullet.

2 samples measured as follows. cast of linotype. base .3103 and 3102

in front of lube grove .310 and .3099

at mide point on ogive .3056

I have a bench gun I got from the estate of Phil Harrs. He had developed a load with this bullet and N135 powder. the case is a 308 X1 1/2 the dies are egans and all 308 X1 1/2 are not the same. his charge is 28 grains and when I first got the rifle it shot like a house afire.. I believe the throwght is now gone as a 314299 will chamber now.

My friend shot a 197 with it at springfield and it has shot a few groups in the .2s here but this old man can't do it anymore.

I like most RCBS designs. especially their 7mm.

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

paulezo posted this 22 May 2009

I went to the range yesterday to test the loads. Here is how the target looked. The main group at 50 metres (without the flier at 5 oclock) is 3.5 cm (1.38"). I don't know if this should be considered a good or bad result for such rifle. Next time I will try it at a 100m range.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 22 May 2009

Not bad! Some more load developement and it looks like that bullet will perform just fine.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 May 2009

redball, you mentioned liking RCBS 7mm bullets. I'd like to know about which ones and what you use 'em in. I have loaded 7mm mag with RCBS145 GC and 15 gr. Unique for 3” groups at 100, I know that's not a typical cast bullet cartridge but I'd like to see if I can tighten up those groups. My gun is an old Rem 700. Also have Lyman 287308 but nothing good there, so far. I think it's a little undersize. Ever tried that one?

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 August 2009

Paulezo

You done good shooting your bullet. I either have that bullet in a Lyman or Lee. Mine cast well. I have several hundred sized and lubed but no target yet to show, soon though. You are a good caster.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Close