Favorite Target Molds?

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 March 2009
Rumplestiltskin posted this 26 February 2009

I am brand new to bullet casting and wondering what everyone's favorite molds seem to have in common. I don't do much hunting at all and most of these rounds will be shot at the range so I'm mainly concerned about accuracy. I would also like to try standard cast iron molds vs. the Lee aluminum molds. I'll be shooting .308 through a Rem 700 and .357 through Taurus 686 4” revolver. So, what are a few good molds that ya'll would recommend I pick up?  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 26 February 2009

Probably my top pick for 30 caliber is the Saeco 315 in 170gr. It'll fit in about any 30 caliber factory rifle or milsurp rifle and shoot well. I like the Lyman 311299 for a 200gr cb, one I've shot since I started casting. For a moderately priced mold, I am happy with the Lee mold in the little 150gr for the Russian 7.62 cb. The little cb has been a real hoot.

I like a full 148gr wad-cutter in the 357. Load it down with 4.5gr of Bullseye and shoot it all day with great 25yd accuracy. Like me and most of us here, your list will keep expanding always wanting to try something else to cast and something else to shoot....;)..............Dan

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 February 2009

"I'll be shooting .308 through a Rem 700"

I really like the RCBS 180sp in the 308.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Rumplestiltskin posted this 26 February 2009

Wow, you guys are fast.Thanks for the quick replies. Funny you should mention the Russian 7.62, as that is the other rifle I shoot, though I don't have reloading dies for it yet. Any idea how the 7.62 cb shoots through AK style rifles? Thanks again guys, I'll definitely check out those molds. Anyone else got suggestions?

Attached Files

PETE posted this 26 February 2009

For the .308 I use Lyman's 311334 (200 grs.) and for the .357 I use the H&G #50 (148 grs.)

PETE

Attached Files

Rumplestiltskin posted this 06 March 2009

Anyone here using LBT molds? I'm waiting for slugs to measure the throat and cylinder for my guns before ordering any molds.

Attached Files

303PV posted this 06 March 2009

Yes, I recently bought an LBT mold. Very good results with .308 Win.It is a 174grains GC bullet.

PV

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 March 2009

"Anyone here using LBT molds? I'm waiting for slugs to measure the throat and cylinder for my guns before ordering any molds."

I have always had good luck with LBT molds. Veral really knows his stuff and makes high quality molds.

John

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 March 2009

I concur with John, LBT molds are simply the finest casting molds available! I would put them in the same category as H&G.

I shoot a LBT 309-220-SP1R spiral point bullet in competition in my 308. It drops out of the mold at around 201 grs. and shoot like a house on fire.

I also have a LBT 358-160-FP for my 357, shoots very well.

Slugging the bore and throats and then sending that to Veral is certainly the way to go. Veral has the ability to make a bullet that will shoot accurately in about any gun using his process.

Go to his site and look around, ask a question or two.. He has answers and makes the finest quality mold around, bar none.

Attached Files

Rumplestiltskin posted this 11 March 2009

Just what I wanted to hear. I will be going the Veral route for molds, waiting for my rifle and revolver slugs right now. I also ordered a fire lapping kit. Any experience or tips on using these products, I'm paranoid about scratching up my barrel? Thanks again for the mold #'s.

Attached Files

Cary posted this 13 March 2009

Rumplestiltskin wrote: Just what I wanted to hear. I will be going the Veral route for molds, waiting for my rifle and revolver slugs right now. I also ordered a fire lapping kit. Any experience or tips on using these products, I'm paranoid about scratching up my barrel? Thanks again for the mold #'s.

What fire lapping kit did you order?

Cary

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 March 2009

Basically I think he only has one, it has the paste that you put on the bullets and instructions, the 2 metal plates are optional and an additional cost.

Attached Files

Nora posted this 13 March 2009

I've had good luck with the Lee C312-185-1R sized to .311 with a GC in my M-39. Average is around the 2” mark @100yrds. I've also had good luck with the Lee C309-160-R sized to .308 with a GC in my '03A3. Which gives me a normal printing of just under the 3” mark @ 200yrds with optics. Both are staight WW dropped from the mold into cold water and delivered between 2400-2500fps. I would never hunt with either of them being to hard, but are a cheap solution to spending more time with the trigger. I realize you specified cast over aluminum but these may be an alternative to someone on a tighter budget.

Attached Files

Close