Optium powder(s) for cast bullets

• 4.2K Views
  • Last Post 27 July 2009
Jack posted this 04 March 2009

Is there a general rule of thumb concerning powder burning rate and cast bullets specifically handguns in 38, 44, and 45acp calibers?

Jack

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 05 March 2009

Yup, use what is recommended in Reloading Manuals! (just kidin')  Handgun loads covers a broad range now days. Some talk about load accuracy for Bullseye Competition, some for Steel Silhouette and others Cowboy Action. They all possess a little different criteria for what they want to achieve.

I like to stick with what the competition shooters are using, with them using the best performance loads. For years Winchester 231 has been the successful powder in the 45ACP for both jacketed and CBs, it just works great. Then in the 38 and 44 whether your talking again about magnum loads or gallery loads? Unique has always been an all-around powder, but is dirty. My accurate load in the 44 mag in 7grs with a 240gr cb or 5.5gr Bullseye. In the 357 I use 4.5gr Bullseye with a 148gr wad-cutter cb. These are gallery loads, fun to shoot and won't beat you up.

Faster or slower powders out of the load manuals will all work, but it takes time and money to work up the best loads. I know of many shooters over the years have seemed to always come up with a successful load with an odd pistol powder not many shooters use. Not sure if this is what you want to know? Maybe it would be interesting to do a survey and see what everyone's favorite powder is in these calibers?.................Dan

Attached Files

Jimlakeside posted this 05 March 2009

No. People use everything from fast burning to slow burning powders with good results. I use VVN340 (a medium burning powder) because it seems to smoke less that other brands.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 05 March 2009

the slower the powder the faster the velocity will be. thats the only rule of thumb i know. but a change of powder can help if you are getting leading.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 March 2009

In non-magnum pistol calibers I've always gotten best results with the fastest powder which gives the desired velocity using the lowest charge weight. This is economical and gets you more rounds to the pound of increasingly expensive powder, and also results in a cleaner burn, with less fouling.

I also like a powder of small particle size which measures uniformly. For this reason I like Bullseye and use it for my handgun loads.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 05 March 2009

Jack

I have been having relative success in 9 mm 124 gr with 5.1 gr of unique. 200 gr semiwadcutters in 45 acp with 5.3 gr unique.

Bob d

Attached Files

Jack posted this 05 March 2009

Thanks for the responses, of course I don't have any Bullseye or Unique on hand, just some Universal, a little Titewad, and a full can of WST. Guess I'll have to shoot it all up and try some Bullseye!!

Thanks, and if you see a similer (very) post in the Powder section please disregard. I'm new at this internet thing.

Jack

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 March 2009

Jack, nothing wrong with your other question, but better because it is more direct. I got a little carried away on this general question. I tried Universal after a friend said he liked it better than Unique. I have mixed results with Universal and find in just as dirty.

Don't give up on your Titewad and WST. Try 1/2 grain increments up and down a recommended book velocity load you want. The 1/2 grain variation should show a smaller group size other another. Then just have fun with the load. Advance your experience later with some Bullseye or Unique or whatever. Keep good records of the load data and group sizes, how dirty the load was etc. Then you'll have your favorite powder!....................Dan

Attached Files

Papa Smurf posted this 03 July 2009

Papa Smurf here and the answer is UNIQUE 4.5 gr--38spl 6.0 gr--.357 10.2 gr--30-30 14.5 gr--8mm 15.0 gr 20ga. Good shooting--------------Papa

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 04 July 2009

"When in doubt Unique powder will see you out".

Attached Files

hamour posted this 05 July 2009

Bullseye-Unique-2400 that is my must have revolver cast bullet powder supply.

H-110 is around my closet too but those 3 listed are the “Best” to me.

If reduced to one powder (Heaven forbid!) it would be unique.

Attached Files

docbob posted this 27 July 2009

Jack,

Unique is still a very good all around powder for most handguns.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 27 July 2009

I'm getting some good groups (for me) with titegroup, bullseye and WW473AA in light loads in my .357 and .44 Mag. Velocity is probably around 800 fps.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 27 July 2009

Lyman 49th Edition, the new one, shows loads for 9mm & 38 with Universal.  WST shows up under 45 acp also. 

Universal is used on the heavier bullets and WST is only shown in .45

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 July 2009

Jack

Most everybody agrees on the value of Unique for pistol Cast. I order it by the 8 lb and use it for most Cast.Unique shows up in the recommended pistol loads in most manuals.

Bullseye, Red Dot and 2400 have many followers in pistol Cast. Jack the good thing about all the powders I listed is that you can them all for pistol jacketed too and some small rifle cast.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR :fire

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 July 2009

Attached Files

Close