Looking to buy my first press

• 5K Views
  • Last Post 01 September 2009
amb1935 posted this 28 August 2009

I'm looking to buy my first press.  I don't really know what to buy.  I've been looking around online a lot recently.  I really like Lee products, but the Lee Classic Loader takes a bit too much time to reload my 9mm.  I was wondering if any of you gentlemen had some suggestions for which  press to go with.  Single stage? Turret? Any information would be very appreciated.  I've been reloading for a few months now, and I love it!  Thanks. -Aaron

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 28 August 2009

There's a lot of good single stage presses, it would probably be hard to get a bad one, in my experience. Here's an option; mostly I use my old Hornady single, but I have a Lee Hand Press that I can use while sitting in my lounge chair. I can process a hundred pistol cases ready to load in an evening with no sweat while I'm watching cartoons.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 28 August 2009

Sir, I have no experience with Lee products.  I can tell you that most presses fall into 4 categories, cast iron, cast alloy (aluminum and magnesium), standard leverage and compound leverage.

I learned about reloading operating a Lyman TMag Turret press and #55 Powder measure.  The T-Mag is cast iron, I think. It's a good setup, I didn't have any trouble with it.  It takes a stiff push to seat bullets but, having nothing to compare it with, I never noticed.

Then, I got a Rock Chucker. This big cast iron thing with a 1” ram and compound leverage will crush a 22 Hornet case with ease. I'm guilty of reloading with 2 fingers on the lever that seats bullets.  RCBS and Redding have their merits but, sometimes it's a bit like owning a Cadillac just to drive to the post office, too much machine. 

The Hornady's are first rate cast magnesium alloy presses, just like mag wheels.  Haven't had a chance to operate one yet. They tell me that they make good powder measures too.

Myself, I've considered getting a Lyman Crusher just to have an extra O press to work with, rather than spinning the dies out of the RCBS constantly.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 28 August 2009

I used a Rockchucker for many years and think it is a very good press.  I've been using the Lee Classic Cast single stage press for the past three or four years and I think it is a better press at a better price.

The Lee hand press is a huge move up from the Lee whack-it tool.  Your production will not be much slower than using a bench mounted press.  It is definitely worth considering if work space and budget suggest it.  I take mine on vacation with me. : )

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 August 2009

amb

I use a RCBS Rockchucker for general loading. I feel the Redding Boss will do the same as a Rockchucker. Hard to say there is a bad press depends on how much money you want to spend.

The best Press for the money is an RCBS Partner Press. I have carried one in my BR box for 15 years. This press will do most anything in reloading. Buy the reloading kit and add what you need later.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

303PV posted this 29 August 2009

A Lee Reloader press is enough press for reloading 9 mm para. But if you want to reload rifle cartridges then a sturdier O frame press with compound linkage would be better (like the Lee Classic cast or RCBS Rockchucker) . You also mention that speed is important. Then you need to consider progressive presses. I tried the Lee Loadmaster  and I did not like it. I have a Dillon RL550B now . The disadvantage is price and changing calibers takes more time.  

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 29 August 2009

Has anyone ever used the lee classic turret press? That looks pretty attractive to me. It can hold four dies at once, which I hink would be convenient. I would, however, want to see how sturdy it is during operation. Anyone have any more opinions?

Attached Files

acdman posted this 29 August 2009

You are about to be sucked into the black hole that is the reloaders fate. Once you start you will be loading for every gun you own now and in the future. Buy your press accordingly. Been doing it for 30 years and here are my thoughts.

Single stage: Really a must for short runs and more exotic cartridges. I strongly recommend the Bonanza Co-Ax press. Simple and very quick to use. I load everything fron .22 Hornet to 577-.450 Martini-Henry on mine. Little pricy but you will never let it go.

Progressive: Next step as you graduate to longer runs of reloading one cartridge where the set up is worth the effort. My clear first choice - Hornady

Utility press: The little cheap Lee C-press. Good for decapping, sizing with Lee push thru dies, etc. when you do not want to mess with the set-ups on your main presses. Good take-along press mounted to your shooting box.

I have had other presses but these were the winners. Do not under buy you will only have to trade up later if you continue to reload.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 29 August 2009

Since you mention various brands of presses for various tasks, have you been able to interchange the reloading dies without adjustment.  I used to have a Bonanza 55 or something like that and found that I could not swap dies back and forth with the Rock Chucker.  To me that was a big inconvenience because I had to have dies for each press or keep adjusting the dies back and forth.    Perhaps this was just the odd ball press, perhaps not.  Duane

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 August 2009

acdman wrote:  Do not under buy you will only have to trade up later if you continue to reload.

I agree 110%. Buy once cry once is a good rule of thumb when buying loading equipment. I only use single stage presses now and the RCBS Rockchucker will last  lifetime +. If I was going to get into a progressive I'd look into a Dillon because I've heard a lot of good things about them. I had a RCBS Piggyback for a while and didn't like it at all.

I never did understandf the concept behind a turret press. It isn't like it takes a long time to switch dies.

Attached Files

rfr posted this 29 August 2009

Pistol shooters typically seek volume. The Dillon 550 is hard to beat.Dillon support is good; although he never admits to making a mistake. If you have a problem, you must squawk. Frequently you'll find that they've encountered the problem and made modifications to fix it and will supply the requisite replacement parts gratis. They just don't notify all the prior purchasers of the problem or the solution--no recalls here; sort of like Glock's upgrade rather than a recall (of years ago). RFR

Attached Files

acdman posted this 29 August 2009

Duane - dies are interchangable. Some manufacturesr have lengthened the threads on the outside of their dies to better accomadate the progressives. I have not had a problem with older dies. Adjustments are required press to press.

Dillon is good but very expensive to change calibers. Heavily pistol oriented. I assume cross utilization between rifle and pistol which favors the Hornady.

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 August 2009

acdman

I favor either the Hornady Projector or a Lyman Spartan for the same reason you gave. Amb is far out of this conversation now but he got some good answers.

Acd for a down and dirty press I have a CH 204 press mounted on the other side of my Rockchucker.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 29 August 2009

acdman wrote:  Adjustments are required press to press. That is exactly what I was objecting to with different brands and models of presses.  That sort of ruins the speed aspect of swapping dies and presses back and forth.  Duane

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 29 August 2009

I started 22 years ago with a Lyman Turret after about 10 years the turret wore out. I replaced it with a Lyman Crusher. In 2000 I got a Hornady progressive for pistols. I really like both of them. The crusher has a wider opening than most presses it works good for loading the 7mm STW.

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 August 2009

Lillard

You have made good choices in presses over the years. I have a Lyman Turret but haven't used it enough to notice the wear. I use my Star for pistol I have the 38/45 heads. But if I was to do the press again I go with the Honady Projector. I used my friends in the shop for 44 mag. I would choose my Star over a Dillon because of the speed I can load. Just like I would choose my Mec Grabber over a Ponsness Warren for shotgun loading.

The Lyman Orange Crusher has Lyman quality that speaks volumes. For me though I have 4 Rockchuckers, Partner, CH C& H  presses and Lyman Turret presses. Enough for a small army.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

skeet1 posted this 30 August 2009

Without a doubt, Lee Classic Turret!

Skeet1

Attached Files

canuck4570 posted this 31 August 2009

bonanza coax is a beauty to operate die and shel older align themselves for great accuracy

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 August 2009

Aaron, what all do you want to load? Pistol and rifle? Whats more important, speed, strength, accuracy? How much do you want to spend? There alot of good presses out there, but it depends on what you intend to do with it.  For example, I'm primarily a rifle reloader and volume is not an issue. I started out with a basic RCBS O press, and added a Rockchucker later for case forming and heavy duty tasks. I can still knock out plenty of rounds for the 45, 44 or 41, but then I'll only shoot 100 to 200 pistol rounds a weekend. I might shoot 2-300 rifle rounds the same time.

It sounds as if a turret press is the way you want to go, but then I'm not sure it will speed things up that much. If the only thing it saves you is die-changing time, (I've never used one) I would still tend towards an O press for the strength. You won't wear one out in your lifetime. Then, when you have more cash, a progressive would be the way to go to pump up the volume.

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 01 September 2009

Sirgknight has one. I helped him set it up. I'm green with envy. I have the old three hole Lee Turret I learned to load with. It's been going strong since the mid eighties. Go with the Lee Classic Turret kit, and buy a digital scale or Ohaus beam scale on the side. Here's a review. http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 01 September 2009

That's a sweet design, Jim. My question about turret presses has always been the fact that all of them, until this one, held the die holder by a center post. I've always felt that wear, at some point, would cause the dies to be forced out of alignment by the upward pressure. The Lee design eliminates that issue. And a great price to boot! Plus, it appears to have enough clearance for just about any rifle round.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close