Newbie from Italy

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 January 2010
pepto posted this 11 January 2010

Hi all,I'm 49 and my prefered rifles are Carl Gustafs and others old military rifles. In these days I'm looking info for gas checks ammo and about Policlips furnace. The shooting situation in Italy is poor because ,costs are double ,so I've decided to cast my bullets,any help is welcome.

Greetings :)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 11 January 2010

Benvenuto, Pepto! We have an incredible member and friend in Italy, Giorgio. He posts here often. His experience and the fellowship is a gift to us all. Enjoy the forum. 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 January 2010

The policlips ,is dead,as as dead as a dead mackerel,being a complicated solution to a non existing problem.I saw one once near the Trecate Wells,and it did not reach a sufficiently high temperature,and it was a mess to use.

Get you some aluminum gang moulds,from Neihandtools  or ,Veral Smith's LBT and you'll cast buckets of good bullets with little effort or fatigue.

When rifle shooting,stay away from  single or double cavity iron moulds from the big makers,avoid them like plague,getting one of correct diameter or design is like getting a lottery ticket,and hoping to win.

If you insist and want to throw away your time, raising your blood pressure &heart rate ,I can sell you some molds for your carl gustaf and 8mm mauser.,.30caliber or 7 /mm

Handgun bullet casting needs a different approach, 

If your accuracy goals are not UITS academic shooting ,and you like cowboy action shooting,bowling pin shooting and similar action shooting sports ,nothing beats,in my opinion the lee 6 cavity tumble lube aluminum moulds.and they are cheap as dirt.

I can give you some aluminum moulds to try .

Moulds are like wifes,you do not lend them to anybody,just keep them for yourself or sell them forrever.

Send me a PM,I'll give you some US addresses to get your toys directly . from the US of A,

avoiding the various buccaneers and  Captain Kidds  uf our gun trade.

Thirty years ago at the Codogno  range we shot 200 meters military rifles from the prone,with slings and I placed in the first third nationally.Always strictly with cast bullets.

But in the Amici Del Fucile ,a local club,I was beaten only by a real ALT 300m champion and by Little Labadini,a really good shot.

After a couple of years the envious mob rebelled and passed a law prohibiting the use of cast bullets in the 200 meters rifle matches.

The goofs I used to beat all had 6.5 swedes or 03A3 Springfields  and shot  expensive sierra matchkings with maximum loads .

Attached Files

pepto posted this 13 January 2010

Thank you for yours suggestions.  I've decided to cast my bullets because I need  adapt bullets to a Mauser Argentino and a M39 Moisin Nagant. It's my first experience and I've tryed to cast my first bullets with RCBS furnace. The Policlips I have found is equipped with a Lyman moulds adapter and modified with a new resistence ,  I 'll try it as soon as possible. I shoot for Somma Lombardo Team and last year we have won the UITS Italian Chanpionship 100mt. ,in the 2007 I've won the Città di Codogno Trophy with my M96/41b and in the 2004 I was placed 2th with the same rifle.

Regards :)

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 13 January 2010

"When rifle shooting,stay away from  single or double cavity iron moulds from the big makers,avoid them like plague,getting one of correct diameter or design is like getting a lottery ticket,and hoping to win."

Giorgio, this is the best advice I've heard in reference to bullet casting!!Moulds are like wives's,you do not lend them to anybody,just keep them for yourself or sell them forrever.”

Not to bad advice about wives either.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 January 2010

Of course Giorgio and I both know that the key to winning accuracy with a cast bullet military or cowboy rifle is having William Holden's hat from the movie “The Wild Bunch.” The real secret is out now.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 January 2010

I appreciate a finely crafted custom mold, have a couple myself. I would like to have more, the benefits are obvious. But for the new casters hearing this could be discouraging. Many many matches have been and will be won with off the shelf molds from Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and even Lee, and probably others. The Lyman 311284 was the first gas checked bullet, going on a hundred year old design, that is still very competitive. There's lots of examples that are good from each of the mass produced mold makers, and some turkeys too. You probably won't ever get a turkey from a reputable custom maker.  Tim

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 13 January 2010

"Many many matches have been and will be won with off the shelf molds from Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and even Lee, and probably others."

I do not question that. I have a number of those but for every keeper, I have gotten 4 or 5 that were what I consider rejects. Most often because of small diameters. In the long run you are money ahead buying custom. The buyer can control the diameters. Try shooting a 311284 with a .298” nose (lino) in a .300” bore diameter. I would be real happy to sell you one.

"But for the new casters hearing this could be discouraging."

They are going to be even more discouraged trying to make a small bullet shoot.

Attached Files

Thanks to all,:D  the Lyman 311284 is the mold I have ordered but I've tryed 311299 also with a good accuracy for my first test at 100 mt. I'm using Lyman gas check, someone can tell me the differences with the equivalent Hornady ? Today I've tryed to set my Policlips and after some hour of work the result is positive.

Regard :)

Attached Files

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 13 January 2010

Old Lyman gas checks were yellow and did not crimp on the bullet shank,

Current and old Hornady gas checks are orange reddish and crimp on.

I am told that current Lyman gas check are crimp on and made by Hornady or by the chap that makes them for Hornady.

Anyway, I anneal them all in the kitchen stove ,in the winter,of course,

Less effort in the sizing,just a strong belief.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 January 2010

Fred, I just bought a DC311284 from a CBA member. I was very relieved to find that it cast .300 on the nose and .310 body. Many of my Lyman molds fall short, some are classics, like the 311334 and 308314. I have to do voodoo stuff to get them to cast up to a decent size. My very old 311359 drops .311 bullets (!) and I just shot some today in a 7.62x54r MN 91/30. I used a mild dose of Bullseye and got 5 shots in 1 1/2” at fifty, much to my surprise. It's way undersize for that gun. The 311284 did come from an advanced caster, maybe he improved the mold, I don't know. I agree with you and Buffalo George, most mass produced molds are a crapshoot at best. There are some that are great.Compared to you I'm a complete novice, but for the guys with even less experience than me, can we just tell them, “You need a .310 x .300 minimum in typical American .308 barrels"? I know that's oversimplifying, but it'd get a guy off to a good start most of the time. That could be accomplished with a $20 .312 mold from Lee and a push thru $15 (?) sizer.  No, I'm not related to Joe B., just a fan. I liked his 'cookbook loads' for getting beginners started.

Attached Files

Close