How does rain affect deer hunting? Info request

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 12 October 2011
corerf posted this 05 October 2011

Will be in Idaho end of the week for opening day of deer season, for the balance of 8 days

How does rain, which is forcast 70% of my duration there, affect deer habits? Ive been in snow, not rain.

Open to any advise. Temps will be highs of 50's on rain days, low 60's on sunny. Lows of 30's all days.

Also, coyote or wolf activity, in rain?

Will be hunting both, who ever comes to calls. Have a single wolf tag to fill. I think a stand in teh rain will be close to miserable but stands are short lived... that will help the comfort level.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 05 October 2011

I've always found wildlife activity before or after a rain storm to be more then during regular non rain times . However I have also killed a fair amount of deer in the rain here in Virginia . But that was back when I was a bit more gung ho then I am now . If it's a special tag at say Blackwater or something like that where I have one shot for the whole year I'll hunt in the rain . But if it's at home I tend to stay inside during downpours now .

Snow is a different matter !

I love to hunt when it's snowing . For one thing once the ground turns white it makes it much easier to see moving animals .

Everything I said above is for deer by the way , I've never bothered with coyotes here and never been anywhere I could shoot a wolf .

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 October 2011

I don't know about Idaho but here rain during deer season is a gift from the hunting gods. Deer that have gone nocturnal after opening day come out when it rains, they like the rain. Before, during, and after. Fish and Game statistics will mention high success rates during years with early storms.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 October 2011

Rain m,akes it possible to skulk and stalk quietly. First handgun deer I ever killed was during a rainsgtorm, sneaked up on him and whacked him in the back of the head, in his bed, DA using .38 Special FBI load in 2-3/4” Ruger Speed Six from about 10 yds. I waS ASSISTING THE OTHER GUN WRITER DUDES who were guests of the companyhunting, while I was the factory rep, but couldn't pass up the shot.

Gun writer dudes were impressed. X38SPD exited, bullet not recovered. Deer ate good.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

corerf posted this 06 October 2011

Ed,

Thats what I needed to hear. AS I have been pondering.. if deer are active at all, the noise of the rain and it's inherent distraction... should help me.

I am taking my mighty 445 SM running the bhn 11 Lee 310-430FN. They lead a bit but at the range I shot about 15 rounds of 26 BHN (100 shots continuous with no leading from them) then followed up with 6-8 of the 11's. The POI was unchanging, groups were tighter than I will speak as I will be mocked, it's sighted and I can hit a grapefruit at 200 in a 10 mph wind, with a reasonable rest... and 250 is not beyond my ability. Honestly if I get a long shot, and I miss, it will be  completely me and buck fever. I was at the range and they use PVC 3/4 inch target frames. The guy ion the lane before me lweft his target (fallen down in wind) and I got to the line waiting for a break. So I stuck a round in teh cold barrel, 15mps wind, 100 yrds and shot once at the 3/4 elbow. I removed the elbow cleanly w/o touching the two pipes it hung from. At that point.... anyway the Bullberry 445SM is just the most accurate thing I have ever fired w/o a shoulder. Oh Lord help me not get stupid in the field, please.

My only issue is its an encore, I have one frame and am taking two barrels. The 25-06AI can be relied on for upwards of 500... but I can't have both at the same time.

I am hoping that I do an Ed, and walk up to one and hit it with a rock, so that neither barrel gets WET. I just cant carry both, nor do I want to, but I know I am going to high elevation in search for large animals. I am hoping the rain will give enough cover to close in under 200 so that the 25-06 never gets out of the truck. I cant holster it like the SM... its really heavy...and so on. And it's too dad gum pretty to get wet. Thats pretty sad for me to say.

The wolf hunting will be what the 06 is for.

The last two posts have me feeling better about rain. I need to buy a quality waterproof, insulated jacket at Cabelas in Boise on Saturday.

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 October 2011

Like Ed said, the rain helps drown (no pun intended) out your sounds as you move about. For some reason, the deer around here seem less cautious in the rain. I do prefer snow too, for some reason.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 06 October 2011

At one time I read that animals that denned up, sage rats, ground squirrels, coyotes, etc., went home in the rain/snow. Deer and elk, that are out in the weather anyway, feed without regard for time of day. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 October 2011

anachronism wrote: Like Ed said, the rain helps drown (no pun intended) out your sounds as you move about. . Since I ride an ATV in to about 100-150 yards of my treestand and then go straight to it and climb up and sit the whole time . The wet leaves aspect of it don't really help me alot !

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 October 2011

Mike, ditto on the rain replies. I've only hunted deer here in Illinois and Wisconsin, but rain was always a positive thing. It seems to me that the rain calms the deer by baffling their hearing and maybe even diluting their sense of smell. Light misty rains are the best. Even a little rain during my prairie dog shooting brings out a bunch of them..........Dan

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 06 October 2011

maybe i can help some as the only place i hunt is idaho. hunting in the rain is the easy part. it's the slogging mud your truck is trying to go into the ditch in. thats the problem. of course it's snowing here right now 2” so far today. the rain had my bronco in 4 wheel drive yesterday, while out scouting and grouse hunting. the bronco is not highway compatible and is only used around town and for hunting b.t.w. it's gonna be 4 wheel drive shovels and boots this year.

if your'e coming be prepared....

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 07 October 2011

I have trouble with scopes in the rain. I like the Butler see through covers. I like good peep sights better. Most shots will be close and the animals aren't as spooky. Fog is the best if it isn't too thick. Rain washes away blood trails in a big hurry so whack 'em hard brother.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 07 October 2011

Wish me luck, I am out the door. See the post time.

Chains in hand.

Thanks and I will have a story to tell in 10 days.

Attached Files

valk posted this 08 October 2011

The only time I've taken a deer with a bow while still hunting was in the rain. Much easier to move quietly then. I also think deer tend to move more in a light rain or in the fog. My theory is that wet vegetation tastes better to them. And that theory is worth about what you paid for it I guess.:D

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 11 October 2011

I just got back from 5 days in N/E Nevada deer hunting 10 miles from Idaho. The rain and sleet was pretty unbearable. The deer were real scarce. Worst deer hunting I ever had. My son shot a spike on Sat. when the weather cleared. We didn't see a decent buck and there are monsters in the area.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

valk posted this 12 October 2011

I envy anyone who gets to hunt in the Idaho, Wyoming, Montana area. I took a motorcycle trip through most of the North Western states last year. Man, what beautiful country. I love Indiana but being able to see seemingly forever like you can in many parts if the Northwest was awe inspiring.

Attached Files

Close