.22 Long Rifle ammunition

• 6.6K Views
  • Last Post 08 August 2012
Grant posted this 04 January 2012

I tested CCI standard velocity long rifle in my Anschutz, five 5-shot groups at 50 yards. The sight was a Litschert 15-power scope with a Lee dot.

The ammunition has an advertised velocity of 1070 fps. I bought a case from Champion's Choice.

Mean extreme spread, .502"

Individual groups, extreme spread:

.527", .595", .600", .610” and .682"

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 04 January 2012

Just a question 'cause I ain't a statistian? How can you have a “mean” that is smaller than the smallest datum?

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 04 January 2012

Good shooting. Try some Eley.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 January 2012

72coupe wrote: Good shooting. Try some Eley.

Yes and I agree 200% !

Maybe 15 years or so ago I used to shoot ALOT of Eley Gold Benchrest that stuff was $10 a box then for 50 rounds so I can imagine what it'll cost now even if they still produce it !

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 January 2012

Grant, you don't say if you are happy or not with your Anschutz! Miss my old one, but it shot better than that with Green Tag.

My tricked out squirrel gun, a Ruger 10/22 with competition chamber SS Bull Barrel, titanium action parts, light pull trigger parts, and Fajen Legacy stock groups better than .400” at 50 yards with a Bushnell 3-9X40 with a Dednutz mount. I use the same CCI Standard Velocity ammo to hunt with. I have tried 11 different ammo types and the CCI standard did the best in my rifle. Your rifle will tell you what it likes if you are not happy with your groups, but I think your Anschutz should do better unless it was not broken in correctly.

Gary

Attached Files

Thanks for noting the misprint. The mean is .602” of course.

Attached Files

The CCI ammunition costs $318 per case from Champion's Choice, and accuracy is good enough for offhand practice. Eley Club costs $700, and Tenex costs $1,775 for a case plus shipping. I thought people would like to know the accuracy of moderately priced ammunition.

The target used was the NRA 50-yard smallbore rifle target. A different target might improve the accuracy results, but these results are realistic for smallbore rifle shooters.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 January 2012

Back when I shot 50 yard position .22 I tested a bunch of different .22 ammo. Three of the Eleys were in the test group. RWS Match was cheap back then at $109 a case and it shot almost as good as the higher priced Eleys.

My K-17 revolver seems to like any standard velocity .22 ammo.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 January 2012

billwnr wrote: Back when I shot 50 yard position .22 I tested a bunch of different .22 ammo. Three of the Eleys were in the test group. RWS Match was cheap back then at $109 a case and it shot almost as good as the higher priced Eleys.

My K-17 revolver seems to like any standard velocity .22 ammo.

My 22 bench shooting a number of years ago was mostly with standerd weight 22 sporters in most all action styles . And all of my shooting was at 25 and 50 yards .

But I do agree that the RWS stuff shot very nicely also for me .

There was just something about that Eley Gold Benchrest tha seemed to make the gun and myself shoot better most times !

Think I shot my smallest 5 shot group at 25 yards with a Winchester Model 61 pump that had and old Weaver K-10 on top shooting the Eley Gold Benchrest . Think my 5 shot group was .191” after subtracting the bullet diameter . I had a bunch of Remington 541S's , 541T's in both sporter and HB and they never seemed to beat that group at 25 yards . Also had a nice old Remington 513T with a Unertl 10x on top that never equaled or bettered that group at 25 yards but at 50 that 513T had no equal in the guns I've owned . Sorry to say I've never had a 40X 22 , a Winchester 52 or 75 or any of the Anschutz or CZ 22 target rifles .

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 04 January 2012

I agree that the CCI Standard Velocity 22 LR is good stuff. Use it in my Green Mountain barreled 10/22 and it shoots well.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 January 2012

pat i. wrote: I agree that the CCI Standard Velocity 22 LR is good stuff. Use it in my Green Mountain barreled 10/22 and it shoots well.

I had a 10-22 Charger for awhile about a year ago . Anyway I got a Tactical Solutions fluted green barrel and a green houge overmold stock and set that thing up for shooting snapping turtles in a couple farmers ponds around here .

Believe it or not I got decent enough accuracy for that with Winchester T22 ammo and that stuff didn't break the bank when you bought a brick !

Kept that rifle maybe 6 weeks before a friend wanted it a lot more then I did !

Attached Files

Big Iron posted this 11 February 2012

Try Wolf Match Extra. It's spendy but is great when you want those one ragged hole groups. The local guys and girls shooting .22 benchrest shoot a lot of it.

BI

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 February 2012

Test Report - CCI Quiet .22LR, 40-grs. “710fps"

I recently received brick of 500 of these for $29.95 from Midway. Chronograph and accuracy data follows:

High Standard Model “B” semi-auto pistol 6-7/8” barrel:

Point of impact 1 inch below sights at 7 yards. Avg. velocity 638 fps, 25 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 82 fps. Does not eject empties or cycle action. Feeds smoothly when cycled manually. Quiet shooting indoors without earplugs, about as noisy as firing standard velocity .22LR in a rifle. 25 yards, sandbagged, ten shots in 3-1/2” vs. 1-1/2” for CCI Blazer HV. 50 yards, sandbaggged, ten shots in 6” vs. 2.5” for CCI Blazer.

Ruger M77/.22 bolt action, 20” barrel. Point of impact 5” below zero for Blazer HV at 50 yards. Avg. velocity 713 fps, 28 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 114 fps. Shot from sandbags with 4x scope. Ten shots 1.8” at 50 yards, vs. 1.2” for Blazer Point of impact at 50 yards 5” below zero for CCI Blazer high velocity Ten shots from sandbags 4.7” at 100 yards vs. 2 inches for Blazer HV Point of impact at 100 yards 18” below that of CCI Blazer when zeroed at 100 yards.

Very quiet in rifle, like a CB Long.

BOTTOM LINE:

This is an affordable ($30 per brick of 500 rds) low noise, plinker's or trappers load for short range. While I'm not going to buy a case of 5000, these will replace CB Longs in my inventory. Comparison of velocity test data with other CCI .22 LR ammos:

Ammunition__24” RIFLE_6-7/8"PISTOL_4"REVOLVER CCI Green Tag_1053, 6 Sd931, 9Sd_801, 33Sd CCI Standard Velocity1036, 17Sd_936, 16Sd_868, 40Sd CCI SubsonicHP_1058, 13Sd978, 19Sd_836, 26Sd CCI BlazerHV_1264, 11Sd1181, 20Sd1085, 19Sd CCI MiniMagHP_1192, 26Sd_1104, 29Sd947, 29Sd CCI VelocitorJHP_1336, 12Sd1177, 37Sd_1060, 66Sd

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

GaCop posted this 14 February 2012

I've encountered the best accuracy in a Marlin Model 925 (22” bbl) using the 40 grain solid CCI Mini-Mag and Blazer 40 gr solid. Both shoot sub 1” at 50 yards and 1.2” to 1.4” at 80 yards. I've just gotten back into shooting rimfire after being away from them for 25 years. I never realized how finicky they can be in regards to ammunition. During testing, I tried Wolf Match, Federal Match, Winchester Super-X, Rem Subsonic and Rem “Yellow Jackets". The worst ammunition tried was the Remington Subsonic followed by the Winchester Super-X.

Tom

Attached Files

Sonny Edmonds posted this 14 February 2012

Grant wrote: Thanks for noting the misprint. The mean is .602” of course. I get .6028" But who's counting? ;) Any one of those is dern good shootin!

I am curious though.... Is that the specific order? Were the groups opening up as you were shooting them? Or did you just post them smallest to largest?

(I'm so literal, I'm like concrete.)

Attached Files

Grant posted this 14 February 2012

I posted the group size from small to large.

Attached Files

Mike Kallam posted this 16 February 2012

Which super-x load did you use? I've only tried the 40 grain Power-Points and have had good to exceptional luck in every rifle. I've never knew anyone to have any luck with the 37 grain hp super-x.

Attached Files

beerd posted this 07 March 2012

Sometimes 22 rimfire ammo will surprise you. Back when I was living large on $4 an hour I remember buying a brick of “Western Auto” brand 22 long rifle for less than 5 bucks. My Kimber went on to shoot many 10 hole 3/4-inch groups at 50 yards with that stuff. Of course when I went back to buy more they were sold out. ..

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

I found Wolf Match Extra gave outstanding reults. Wolf MT/SKJagd Rile provided slightly larger groups and then surprisingly Aguilla SE SV ammo shot a bit better than CCI SV in my gun.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 06 June 2012

I thought Wolf ammo was from Russia. Was I wrong?

Wes

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 07 June 2012

Just looked it up: Wolf is an importer, not a manufacturer. While most Wolf ammo IS made in Russian factories, Wolf .22lr ammo ia actually made in Germany. Learn something new every day.

Wes

Attached Files

Grant posted this 07 August 2012

Marlin Model 81 accuracy

With a Weaver 3-9 40/44 rimfire scope on my pre-WWII Marlin model 81 rifle, I bag-tested the rifle with the same CCI standard velocity ammunition that I previously tested in my Anschutz. Using a faded Remington sighting-in target (faint green on browning paper) at 50 yards, the 5-shot groups measured .765", .982", .973", .776", and .891".  The results with the Marlin were acceptable, especially in view of my poor bag technique and a problem with pulse.  I am pleased with the accuracy of the CCI ammunition that sells at a reasonable $249 per case from Champion's Choice. The cost of shipping brought the case of ammunition to about $270.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 08 August 2012

I did an ammo extrvaganza last year when I got my new Winchester wildcat target (TOZ-78) I avoided the pricey stuff but found of that I tested that CCI low velocity HPs (softer lead?) and Eley sport worked better than many others including green tag, wolf sport, eley club st cetera.

Attached Files

Close