Comments on the care and feeding of a .30 Reece

• Last Post 02 August 2018
Richard Pickering posted this 04 May 2018

Does anyone have experience with the .30 Reece in a 10'' MGM barrel for the TC Contender ? I'd like to use either the RCBS 165 Silhouette or SAECO 311 and may include the SAECO 301. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BudHyett posted this 04 May 2018

Shooting the .30 Herrett ,which is a similar cartridge, in CBA Long Range Handgun competition over a decade ago. I shot the SAECO #315 for 100 yards and the RCBS 30-165-SIL for 200 yards. These were in a heavy Bullberry barrel measuring 12 inches which just made the weight limit of 5 1/2 pounds at that time. The barrel has 1:10" twist and the chamber was tight, close neck tolerance. This barrel shot well, the action was tight, the trigger was 1 1/2 pounds and crips. 

Testing heavier bullets like the RCBS 30-180-SP and 30-200-SIL showed too much recoil over the course of a match with the resulting fatigue affecting accuracy. When shooting at practice, the heavier bullets revisited wind better, but were very tiring over the course of a match. 

As my goal was competition, I used the lighter bullets. If not competing, then try the heavier bullets. They shot well in my .30 Herrett. 

Country boy from Illinois, living in the Magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 11 May 2018

Thanks for your experience. I wont have the barrel for another two weeks. I presently use a TC 32-20 for metallic Silhouette and the Reece cartridge seems close to it in volume. It will probably be six weeks before I have an opportunity to post results. 

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 01 August 2018

Presently I have had the barrel out twice. I used 12gr 4227 and 12gr 1680 and the RCBS 165. There isnt enough data until I can get it on paper. 

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 02 August 2018

reececustoms@earthlink.net

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 02 August 2018

I had not considered the case volume of the 7.62x25 as a comparison.  It normally uses an 85 to maybe 100gr bullet. I want to use a 165gr. Thanks. 

Attached Files

Close